Champ Decals for Union Pacific G-50 Gondola and modeling ?

PARK <parkcitybranch@...>

I am wanting to build a composite side gondola rebuilt with steel sides using the Detail Associates kit. Not sure what class this represents? Couple of questions.

Does anyone know where I can find the Champ decals? Anyone have a few sets they would part with?

Besides replacing the wood sheathing with styrene to represent steel, what other mods need to be made to the car? Are the ends correct? I am good on trucks based on the archives.

I have searched the archives and see people mention the project but no real details on what needs to be done to the car.

Thanks,

Jason Sanford

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jason Sanford wrote:
I am wanting to build a composite side gondola rebuilt with steel sides using the Detail Associates kit. Not sure what class this represents? Couple of questions.
Besides replacing the wood sheathing with styrene to represent steel, what other mods need to be made to the car? Are the ends correct? I am good on trucks based on the archives.
Jason, the DA kit represents a 1940s-era-design Enterprise gondola. UP bought a class of these in 1943, Class G-50-11, which were originally composite. They did replace the wood sides with steel, but the ends were original Dreadnaught ends, which are not in the DA kit, so this kit is not a very good choice unless you want to apply some original-style ends. A few years later, 1951 I think, UP bought more cars like this, but all steel, Class G-50-13. The DA kit for an all- steel GS gon would model these very well.

Publishers of books on railroad history