Soo boxcar trucks


mopacfirst
 

I've found a couple photos of the SOO 136-137000 series 40' box (the Branchline cars) that show what seems to be a Barber or similar truck with the springs set prominently outboard. The truck that comes with the kit eyeballs as a decent match. My question is, since these cars were built over a period of a couple years, did all of them have this truck?

Ron Merrick


Ken Soroos
 

Hi Ron -

Soo Line's equipment diagram 2-N covers Soo series 45100-45498, even
(200 cars), and W.C. series 136800-137198, even (200 cars), built in
1950-51. According to the diagram, 45100-45248, even (75 cars) and
136800-136948, even (75 cars) had ASF Ride Control A-3 trucks. The
other cars in these series (250 cars) had Barber S-2-B Stabilized
trucks.

These cars were assembled at Soo Line's North Fond du Lac, WI shops.
Similar 40' boxcar series assembled there from 1948 through 1957 all
used both these ASF and Barber trucks.

For now, Ken Soroos


On Jul 29, 2011, at 9:51 AM, mopacfirst wrote:

I've found a couple photos of the SOO 136-137000 series 40' box (the
Branchline cars) that show what seems to be a Barber or similar
truck with the springs set prominently outboard. The truck that
comes with the kit eyeballs as a decent match. My question is, since
these cars were built over a period of a couple years, did all of
them have this truck?

Ron Merrick




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


mopacfirst
 

Thanks, now I'm prepared.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., Ken Soroos <kensoroos@...> wrote:

Hi Ron -

Soo Line's equipment diagram 2-N covers Soo series 45100-45498, even
(200 cars), and W.C. series 136800-137198, even (200 cars), built in
1950-51. According to the diagram, 45100-45248, even (75 cars) and
136800-136948, even (75 cars) had ASF Ride Control A-3 trucks. The
other cars in these series (250 cars) had Barber S-2-B Stabilized
trucks.

These cars were assembled at Soo Line's North Fond du Lac, WI shops.
Similar 40' boxcar series assembled there from 1948 through 1957 all
used both these ASF and Barber trucks.

For now, Ken Soroos


On Jul 29, 2011, at 9:51 AM, mopacfirst wrote:


mopacfirst
 

One more question for the Soo knowledgeable.

One of the Branchline 1430 40' decorated cars, marked NEW 11-51 and with the words SOO LINE high and close to the door, has black (car cement) ends.

My question is, should the roof and roofwalk also be black? On the model, they're not.

Ron Merrick


soolinehistory <destorzek@...>
 

--- In STMFC@..., "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

One more question for the Soo knowledgeable.

One of the Branchline 1430 40' decorated cars, marked NEW 11-51 and with the words SOO LINE high and close to the door, has black (car cement) ends.

My question is, should the roof and roofwalk also be black? On the model, they're not.

Ron Merrick
Best research says only the ends were black.

Dennis


Ken Soroos
 

I agree with Dennis. Only the ends were black based on the evidence
we have. That's the way they are on my models.

For now, Ken Soroos

On Aug 3, 2011, at 7:07 AM, soolinehistory wrote:



--- In STMFC@..., "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

One more question for the Soo knowledgeable.

One of the Branchline 1430 40' decorated cars, marked NEW 11-51
and with the words SOO LINE high and close to the door, has black
(car cement) ends.

My question is, should the roof and roofwalk also be black? On the
model, they're not.

Ron Merrick
Best research says only the ends were black.

Dennis