Another interesting Shorpy photo

Dave Lawler

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.preview.jpg
Found another Shorpy photo with interesting freight cars visible on the car ferry SS Detroit and I have a few questions:
On the starboard side, the second and third cars have some sort of actuating rod running the length of the side. What is it’s function?
Further aft, the last two cars have some kind of box on their roofs. I’m guessing they are feed reservoirs but, I’m not sure. What is their function?
On the port side the first car in line is lettered “L.L.S.T. Co.”. Does anyone know what that stands for?
Most, if not all, of these stock cars are probably too old for my modeling period (1944) although the Canadian roads, that I model, had similar cars operational until after WW II.
Best regards,
Dave Lawler, Avon Lake, Ohio

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 1, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.preview.jpg
Found another Shorpy photo with interesting freight cars visible on
the car ferry SS Detroit and I have a few questions:
On the starboard side, the second and third cars have some sort of
actuating rod running the length of the side. What is its function?
Convertible stock cars, ARA class SC, which could be configured as
either single or double deck cars, often had actuating rods along the
side sills which controlled chains so that the second deck could be
raised to the roof for use as a single deck car or lowered for use as
a double deck car.

Richard Hendrickson

Looks better if you remove the 'preview' ... :-)

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.jpg

At 8/1/2011 08:38 PM Monday, you wrote:
On Aug 1, 2011, at 5:03 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.preview.jpg
Found another Shorpy photo with interesting freight cars visible on
the car ferry SS Detroit and I have a few questions:
On the starboard side, the second and third cars have some sort of
actuating rod running the length of the side. What is it�s function?
Convertible stock cars, ARA class SC, which could be configured as
either single or double deck cars, often had actuating rods along the
side sills which controlled chains so that the second deck could be
raised to the roof for use as a single deck car or lowered for use as
a double deck car.

Richard Hendrickson

John H <sprinthag@...>

Link and pin couplers no less.

Neat photo.

John Hagen

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Looks better if you remove the 'preview' ... :-)

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.jpg
OK, what am I doing wrong? That link gives an immediate "Page not found" in both IE and Safari on two different computers. If I put a backslash character at the end of "jpg" I go to a Shorpy index page which has several interesting images but not the one in question. If I search Shorpy for 4a21996a I get the same index page.

Tom Madden

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Tom

I experience the same problem in IE and Mozilla Firefox

Jim Brewer

Looks better if you remove the 'preview' ... :-)

http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.jpg
OK, what am I doing wrong? That link gives an immediate "Page not found" in both IE and Safari on two different computers. If I put a backslash character at the end of "jpg" I go to a Shorpy index page which has several interesting images but not the one in question. If I search Shorpy for 4a21996a I get the same index page.

Tom Madden

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

I experience the same problem in IE and Mozilla Firefox
Jim Brewer
Bruce sent me the link in an off-list email, and it worked from there. Why it didn't work from the link in Tim's post when I read it on the web, I don't know. Same link, as far as I can tell. I never did try copying & pasting the link in my browser. It seems to work now, of course, but I think that's just the cached image being fetched.

Anyway, really neat image, except for those pesky stock cars blocking the view if the clerestory-roofed passenger cars. If both stock and passenger cars were occupied, it would have made for an odiferous ferry trip.

Tom Madden

Charles Hladik

Tom,
I doubt that the stock car critters would complain, but....
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 8/2/2011 5:13:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tcmadden@q.com writes:

I experience the same problem in IE and Mozilla Firefox
Jim Brewer
Bruce sent me the link in an off-list email, and it worked from there. Why
it didn't work from the link in Tim's post when I read it on the web, I
don't know. Same link, as far as I can tell. I never did try copying &
pasting the link in my browser. It seems to work now, of course, but I think
that's just the cached image being fetched.

Anyway, really neat image, except for those pesky stock cars blocking the
view if the clerestory-roofed passenger cars. If both stock and passenger
cars were occupied, it would have made for an odiferous ferry trip.

Tom Madden

Barrybennetttoo@...

Unless they are drovers, of course, in which case their olfactory senses
would have been obliterated long since.

Barry Bennett.

In a message dated 02/08/2011 22:13:07 GMT Daylight Time, tcmadden@q.com
writes:

I experience the same problem in IE and Mozilla Firefox
Jim Brewer
Bruce sent me the link in an off-list email, and it worked from there. Why
it didn't work from the link in Tim's post when I read it on the web, I
don't know. Same link, as far as I can tell. I never did try copying &
pasting the link in my browser. It seems to work now, of course, but I think
that's just the cached image being fetched.

Anyway, really neat image, except for those pesky stock cars blocking the
view if the clerestory-roofed passenger cars. If both stock and passenger
cars were occupied, it would have made for an odiferous ferry trip.

Tom Madden

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Group,

Oh, and the smell of all that coal smoke. That is something I miss already. And I bet in the future -- say year 2011-- there will be people that have never had a whiff of it in their entire lifetime.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

writes:

I experience the same problem in IE and Mozilla Firefox
Jim Brewer
Bruce sent me the link in an off-list email, and it worked from there. Why
it didn't work from the link in Tim's post when I read it on the web, I
don't know. Same link, as far as I can tell. I never did try copying &
pasting the link in my browser. It seems to work now, of course, but I think
that's just the cached image being fetched.

Anyway, really neat image, except for those pesky stock cars blocking the
view if the clerestory-roofed passenger cars. If both stock and passenger
cars were occupied, it would have made for an odiferous ferry trip.

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

lol! Bill there are hundreds of millions of youngsters who don't even
know what a videotape is (is that like a DVD?), much less coal smoke.
I mentioned Prohibition this morning to my 15 yr old daughter -- she
had no idea what I was talking about. time marches on...

Tim O'

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
lol! Bill there are hundreds of millions of youngsters who don't even know what a videotape is (is that like a DVD?), much less coal smoke. I mentioned Prohibition this morning to my 15 yr old daughter -- she had no idea what I was talking about. time marches on...
Or an LP or a typewriter or a transistor radio . . . the list is unfortunately readily expandable. Young railfans may be confused by ice reefers or running boards or even cabooses . . .

Publishers of books on railroad history

John Degnan <Scaler164@...>

Tim, I'll see your "even better" and raise you a "best"... with the following link :

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10695?size=_original

Tom, All the record... all of the links have worked fine for me using Internet Explorer. Don't see why it won't load for you...

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

> Looks better if you remove the 'preview' ... :-)
>
> http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.jpg

OK, what am I doing wrong? That link gives an immediate "Page not found" in both IE and Safari on two different computers. If I put a backslash character at the end of "jpg" I go to a Shorpy index page which has several interesting images but not the one in question. If I search Shorpy for 4a21996a I get the same index page.

Tom Madden

Steve Stull

Tom, in my case, with the current version of Opera, it failed twice, and worked twice, using the same address, pasted into 4 different windows.  Go figure.
On a better note, there are a few more pictures of the Detroit, and another car ferry.

At the Shorpy site, use the search terms  (with quotes)   "Detroit"  +  "Transfer Steamer"
One photo titled "In the Ice: 1905"  (which I believe has been discussed here previously) is simply spectacular.
Most photos show the Detroit loaded with Steam Era Freight Cars.
Enjoy the shots.
Steve Stull

At 8/2/2011 07:52 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Tim, I'll see your "even better" and raise you a "best"... with the following link :

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10695?size=_original

Tom, All the record... all of the links have worked fine for me using Internet Explorer. Don't see why it won't load for you...

John Degnan
Scaler164@...

> Looks better if you remove the 'preview' ... :-)
>
> http://www.shorpy.com/files/images/4a21996a.jpg

OK, what am I doing wrong? That link gives an immediate "Page not found" in both IE and Safari on two different computers. If I put a backslash character at the end of "jpg" I go to a Shorpy index page which has several interesting images but not the one in question. If I search Shorpy for 4a21996a I get the same index page.

Tom Madden

mopacfirst

Oh, that this were the case. (steam-era content follows)

I was on the northbound Coast Starlight a couple years ago. Through all those curves on Cuesta hill, I was in the lounge car with fifty unwashed. On the rear of the train was a Soo Line business car complete with clerestory. I'm sure some of you know the car. Anyway, said business car was, of course, red. I can't tell you the number of people, say adults addressing their children, who were solemnly assuring them that this red car at the end of the train was.....the caboose.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor wrote:
<snip>

. Young railfans may be confused by
ice reefers or running boards or even cabooses . . .

Publishers of books on railroad history

Malcolm H. Houck

Oh, and the smell of all that coal smoke. That is something I miss
already. And I bet in the future -- say year 2011-- there will be people
that have never had a whiff of it in their entire lifetime.

Not so long ago, upon taking a recently rebuilt and detailed NYO&W
Double Cab (Camelback) to run and test on my club layout, one member
inquired about the center cab configuration; -- never having seen such a
thing!

I explained that the design was to make use of anthracite coal, needing the
wide Wooten firebox, and such that the cab was mounted astride the center
of the boiler. A quizzical look returned...........and then I realized, and
verified
after asking this fellow member, that he was unaware of the existence of
anthracite coal.........or that coal(s) have different names and ranks
related
to their chemistries and proportions of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Most
specifically my fellow member was unaware that there exists even more
than one........ single type or grade of coal!

Mal Houck

Al Campbell

On the upper deck or structure above the four gentlemen is an article that
looks like a modern day propane tank. Any idea what it was? That Mather car
on the end looks to be no more than 26 feet long. Al Campbell

Dave Lawler

Good evening all,
My apologies to anyone who could not open the Shorpy photo of the SS Detroit with the deck load of stock cars etc. I should have included better information to locate the photo so here goes: Go to Shorpy then search for the photo “Smoke On The Water 1905”, that should get you there. I had trouble opening it myself when I checked my “sent messages”. Anyway, It’s a pretty good photo.
It appears that the Stmr. Detroit is bringing those cars to Canada based on the number of industrial buildings and stacks in the background. I don’t think Windsor was that industrialized in 1905 so it’s probably Detroit, Mich. across the river.
Four big natural draft stacks on that boat and lots of smoke. How would you like to be a fireman on that one?
Best regards,
Dave Lawler

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Indian640@... wrote:

Oh, and the smell of all that coal smoke. That is something I miss
already. And I bet in the future -- say year 2011-- there will be people
that have never had a whiff of it in their entire lifetime.
If you are close to Ludington, MI, or Manitowoc, WI, its possible to see, hear, and smell a piece of 1950s steam era freight equipment that is still in revenue service. The SS Badger no longer carries freight cars for the C&O, but she still smells good! (see third photo down)

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/2011/08/car-ferry-badger.html

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN