Topics

New glue

Clark Propst

While at the St Louis meet I asked the Plano rep what he recommended as an adhesive for their products. He said that MicroScale had just come out with a new product and I should ask Nate Obermeyer about it because he'd used it to attach the running board on a covered hopper he was displaying. Nate had his stuff next to mine. I went to look for him. He'd packed up and left!

Can anyone on this list tell me about this new product?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst asked:
"While at the St Louis meet I asked the Plano rep what he recommended as an
adhesive for their products. He said that MicroScale had just come out with a
new product and I should ask Nate Obermeyer about it because he'd used it to
attach the running board on a covered hopper he was displaying. Nate had his
stuff next to mine. I went to look for him. He'd packed up and left!

Can anyone on this list tell me about this new product?"

MicroBond and MicroPrep are featured on Microscale's homepage, along with a
video interview:
http://www.microscale.com/

Ben Hom

Jim Barnes

Go to You Tube and in the search box enter 2011 NTS: Microscale.  This short video is an intetview at the National Train Show Show in  Sacramento with a Microscale rep.  He talks about their new products one which is called Microbond.  This is their new glue that allows you to laminate metal to plastic.  One of the neat attributes is that it remains flexible, perfect for attaching metal running board to a plastic or resin roof.  I'm going to try it.  Take a look for yourself.
Jim Barnes

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi Jim ,

I noticed that Microbond come in thick, medium and thin. Which have you
used and/or which do you recommend.

Thank you.

Joel Holmes

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Barnes wrote:
Go to You Tube and in the search box enter 2011 NTS: Microscale. This short video is an intetview at the National Train Show Show in Sacramento with a Microscale rep. He talks about their new products one which is called Microbond. This is their new glue that allows you to laminate metal to plastic. One of the neat attributes is that it remains flexible, perfect for attaching metal running board to a plastic or resin roof. I'm going to try it. Take a look for yourself.
Um, this is exactly what model airplane canopy glue does: bonds dissimilar materials well, remains flexible, and dries clear. No need for a new product, just visit the "other side" of your favorite hobby shop, There are a couple of brands.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Armand Premo

Speaking of new glue (cement), has anyone tried Sinbad? Armand Premo

Go to You Tube and in the search box enter 2011 NTS: Microscale. This short video is an intetview at the National Train Show Show in Sacramento with a Microscale rep. He talks about their new products one which is called Microbond. This is their new glue that allows you to laminate metal to plastic. One of the neat attributes is that it remains flexible, perfect for attaching metal running board to a plastic or resin roof. I'm going to try it. Take a look for yourself.
Jim Barnes

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Clark Propst

The fella that used it on the model that was displayed at the St Louis meet seid he used the thick to hold his Plano running boards on the placric hopper.
He also said it's only been in place for a couple weeks.

Clark Propst

Clark Propst wrote:
The fella that used it on the model that was displayed at the St Louis meet seid he used the thick to hold his Plano running boards on the placric hopper.
He also said it's only been in place for a couple weeks.
I've been using canopy glue for etched metal running boards (and etched metal grilles on F units) for 25 years. Every instance remains well attached and flexible. With CA, even a modest temperature excursion, expanding or contracting the metal more than the plastic, pops the metal right off. With canopy glue, no problems, ever.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

SPROING!!

( The sound a running board makes when you take the car from
your warm house in 10 degree February weather and place it in
the trunk of the car and drive it to the train show... )

IMO, unless the laws of physics have changed, Microscale has
packaged up some Cyanoacrylate with some additives (e.g. baking
soda is added as a thickener) but the mechanical properties
compared to other brands of CA is much less than the difference
between CA and say, contact cement, or white glue, or canopy cement,
etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

In some cases (covered hoppers with styrene running board supports)
I've had complete success simply "drenching" the support with Tenax
(styrene cement) and "melting" the running board onto the support.
This works very well with the Intermountain Canadian cylindricals
using Plano running boards. I realize they are too modern for STMFC
but it shows that sometimes an etching will bond directly w/ styrene
and form very strong bonds (I can lift these cars by their running
boards).

In all other cases I do as Tony does, I use a flexible "white glue"
(in my case, Microscale Krystal Clear). No prep needed, and working
time is several minutes. And it's really cheap. And never hardens in
the bottle. I'm only on my second bottle of Krystal Clear after 20+
years.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/kristalklear.jpg

Tim O'Connor

I've been using canopy glue for etched metal running boards
(and etched metal grilles on F units) for 25 years. Every instance
remains well attached and flexible. With CA, even a modest temperature
excursion, expanding or contracting the metal more than the plastic,
pops the metal right off. With canopy glue, no problems, ever.
Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Clark Propst wrote:

> The fella ... used the thick to hold his Plano running boards

One other thing about CA -- thickening it has ZERO impact on its
mechanical strength -- thin CA and thick CA have the same extremely
poor shear strength. Shearing forces are what happens when materials
expand at different rates -- plastic and etched metal, for example.
An etched running board on a plastic roof is just about the hardest
application for CA there is in our hobby -- the longer the rb, the
higher the shearing forces.

Tim O'Connor

Thomas Baker

Where does one purchase canopy glue? Sounds like a good product to use but who sells it?

Tom
The fella that used it on the model that was displayed at the St
Louis meet seid he used the thick to hold his Plano running boards
on the placric hopper.
He also said it's only been in place for a couple weeks.
I've been using canopy glue for etched metal running boards
(and etched metal grilles on F units) for 25 years. Every instance
remains well attached and flexible. With CA, even a modest temperature
excursion, expanding or contracting the metal more than the plastic,
pops the metal right off. With canopy glue, no problems, ever.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim mentions Microscale Krystal Kleer, not quite the same stuff, but effective. The air modeler's canopy glue for years was Wilhold R/C-56 (for Radio/Control), no longer produced. Now JZ Products makes a modified version, "Super RC-Z-56," which seems to be the same. Some aircraft modelers prefer an almost identical product, Pacer's Formula 560. (notice the "56" in all of these?) Sometimes the Pacer stuff is sold under the Zap name.
This stuff kind of looks like and acts like white glue, but it is NOT the same. It really sticks to plastics, unlike white glue, and it dries clear. It gets tacky pretty quickly, so is easy to use assembling things. I like it for wood to plastic, wood to metal, and metal to plastic.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tom, Google is your friend:

http://www.ehobbies.com/paapt56.html

Where does one purchase canopy glue? Sounds like a good product to use but who sells it?
Tom

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Where does one purchase canopy glue? Sounds like a good product to use but who sells it?
Most any LHS that sells airplane models will have it. You can buy it on Amazon too. Search under ZAP Formula 560.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Thomas Baker

Tim,

Right. I thought of that after posing the question. I just didn't think it was a hobby type glue. Thanks for the tip abotu this product.

Tom