From: "Clark and Eileen" <cepropst@q.com>
To: "STMFC" <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:57:27 PM
Subject: [STMFC] NKP box car

I showed my historical society support by buying a Branchline box car from the Nickel Plate HS. I looked at the list Ed Hawkins put on the Steam Freights website finding these cars (7100 series) had Ajax hand brake, Apex running boards, older Youngstown doors and 8 rung ladders.

What wasn't in the fine copulation was the type of truck these cars rode on. Anyone know?

Thanks for any help : ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

al_brown03

"Cast-steel double truss." MM 2/90 p 36, RMJ 11/99 p 26. They appear spring plankless (photo in RMJ reference).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark and Eileen" <cepropst@...> wrote:

I showed my historical society support by buying a Branchline box car from the Nickel Plate HS. I looked at the list Ed Hawkins put on the Steam Freights website finding these cars (7100 series) had Ajax hand brake, Apex running boards, older Youngstown doors and 8 rung ladders.

What wasn't in the fine copulation was the type of truck these cars rode on. Anyone know?

Thanks for any help : ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

LOL! Spell check got me : ))

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., john.allyn@... wrote:

Hope that you meant "compilation"!

John B. Allyn
Nashville TN

Clark Propst

Thanks Al,

I noticed another NKP caption in the RMJ article listed Barber trucks.

Who makes "Cast-steel double truss."?

Clark Propst

Brian Carlson

Clark, I'll send you some scans when I ship your kit. Haven't received your
order yet.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

I showed my historical society support by buying a Branchline box car from
the Nickel Plate HS. I looked at the list Ed Hawkins put on the Steam
Freights website finding these cars (7100 series) had Ajax hand brake, Apex
running boards, older Youngstown doors and 8 rung ladders.

What wasn't in the fine copulation was the type of truck these cars rode on.
Anyone know?

Thanks for any help : ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

al_brown03

Hi Clark,

I assume that's the same thing as "ARA cast steel" ... the photo in the article looks like the Proto 2000 model truck to my eye.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

Thanks Al,

I noticed another NKP caption in the RMJ article listed Barber trucks.

Who makes "Cast-steel double truss."?

Clark Propst

Clark Propst

I already bought the model at the StL RPM.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Clark, I'll send you some scans when I ship your kit. Haven't received your
order yet.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Jack Mullen

--- Clark Propst wrote:

What wasn't in the fine copulation was the type of truck these cars rode on. Anyone know?
So are you saying that without the truck data, you're screwed?

Jack Mullen

Clark Propst

No, But I might not be able to screw on the right trucks ; )

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "moonmuln" <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

So are you saying that without the truck data, you're screwed?

Jack Mullen

brianleppert@att.net

Clark,

Tahoe Model Works offers an HO scale Double Truss truck (TMW-107 and TMW-207) that is perfect for your NKP box car, even matching the spring spacing.

Anyone wishing more information about this truck, or even the entire line of Tahoe Model Works HO freight car and caboose trucks, can contact me OFF-LIST at

brianleppert@...

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark and Eileen" <cepropst@...> wrote:

I showed my historical society support by buying a Branchline box car from the Nickel Plate HS. I looked at the list Ed Hawkins put on the Steam Freights website finding these cars (7100 series) had Ajax hand brake, Apex running boards, older Youngstown doors and 8 rung ladders.

What wasn't in the fine copulation was the type of truck these cars rode on. Anyone know?

Thanks for any help : ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

Thanks Brian, I've already set the car on your excellent trucks.
Clark propst