Flat car model

Clark Propst

A few years ago Frank Hodina made a master for a 50' flat car that was owned by the M&StL, MP, and WP. The master, and others, were lost by UPS. Frank is not going to do the flat car over because he figured out how to make his own.

Chad Boas has made a master of this car from a drawing Gene Green made of an M&StL car. Chad will also cast the mold. The model will be one piece with separate stake pockets. The deck will be laser cut.

These two pieces will be offered for sale at $15 + $5 postage. Chad would like a ballpark figure on how many he should make. It only took him a week to do the master so I would think he could have the model available for Lisle.

I can post photos.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

<A few years ago Frank Hodina made a master for a 50' flat car that was
<owned by the M&StL, MP, and WP. [snip]

<These two pieces will be offered for sale at $15 + $5 postage. Chad
<would like a ballpark figure on how many he should make. It only took
<him a week to do the master so I would think he could have the model
<available for Lisle.

I can't use them but I know some WP modelers who might. When was the
prototype built?

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Clark Propst

I created a photo file named "Flat car project" the photos will appear...when a approved
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

I bought a Sunshine Rock Island spliced flat car, it has instructions of the other car - The one Chad is making. Photos info is on that sheet. Don't know if Jim Hayes has it on his site? I'm real busy right now. I'll post the info in a couple days. The models won't be ready for awhile anyway.

Clark Propst

Jim Hayes

The flyer is available on my site. Go to Flyers by Road and scroll down to
RI.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM, <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

**

I bought a Sunshine Rock Island spliced flat car, it has instructions of
the other car - The one Chad is making. Photos info is on that sheet. Don't
know if Jim Hayes has it on his site? I'm real busy right now. I'll post the
info in a couple days. The models won't be ready for awhile anyway.

Clark Propst

Bruce Smith

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM, <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I bought a Sunshine Rock Island spliced flat car, it has instructions
of
the other car - The one Chad is making. Photos info is on that sheet.
Don't
know if Jim Hayes has it on his site? I'm real busy right now. I'll
post the
info in a couple days. The models won't be ready for awhile anyway.

Clark Propst
From the flyer:

MoPac - 150 50 ton, 50' cars, built June 1942, Bethlehem. 100 cars in
8100-8199 series, 50 to St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico subsidiary,
8350-8399 series

WP - 300 50 ton, 50' cars, built late 1942, AC&F

M&StL - 100 50 ton, 50' cars, built 1931?, 23001-23199 series, odd
numbers only

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Clark Propst

From Gene Green
M&StL - 100 50 ton, 50' cars, built 1931 GATC, retired 1977, 23001-23199 series, odd
numbers only.

These cars will be in my "M&StL cars YOU should model" Lisle clinic. I think I put an early version of the handout in the files? It should list some of these cars.
Clark Propst

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Clark,

Where do we place an order for one of these flat car kits ?

Fred Freitas

M&StL - 100 50 ton, 50' cars, built 1931 GATC, retired 1977, 23001-23199 series, odd
numbers only.

These cars will be in my "M&StL cars YOU should model" Lisle clinic. I think I put an early version of the handout in the files? It should list some of these cars.
Clark Propst

Clark Propst

Me, off list.
Thanks,
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...> wrote:

Clark,

Where do we place an order for one of these flat car kits ?

Fred Freitas

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Will this kit do the M&StL (built '31) or are they different. Also
are decals available? This may have been stated and I missed it.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Clark Propst

As of right now there's a glitch. I took Frank Hodina's word that these cars were all alike. The WP and MP cars and M&StL as built had narrow decks, meaning only as wide as the sides. The drawings Chad used (I supplied) were for the M&StL cars which were modified with a deck the width of the stake pockets. So there are brackets along the top of the sides added for support. Also it appears from my [extremely] limited photos that the MP cars had a different stake pocket casting.

Chad would need to make another master for the MP and WP cars. I haven't heard if he will do that yet.

Stay tuned....

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., Jon Miller <atsf@...> wrote:

Will this kit do the M&StL (built '31) or are they different. Also
are decals available? This may have been stated and I missed it.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Jim Hayes

Didn't this start out as a M&StL flatcar project that morphed into an MP
project?
The M&StL version is fine with me.

Jim

**

On 8/15/2011 11:34 AM, Clark and Eileen wrote:
These two pieces will be offered for sale at $15 + $5 postage. Chad would like a ballpark figure on how many he should make. It only took him a week to do the master so I would think he could have the model available for Lisle.
Put me down for two as the '31 build date is good for me. I won't
be at Lisle so an email when the kits are ready would be great.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Clark Propst

Jon, Please respond off list. Thanks,
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., Jon Miller <atsf@...> wrote:

On 8/15/2011 11:34 AM, Clark and Eileen wrote:
These two pieces will be offered for sale at $15 + $5 postage. Chad would like a ballpark figure on how many he should make. It only took him a week to do the master so I would think he could have the model available for Lisle.
Put me down for two as the '31 build date is good for me. I won't
be at Lisle so an email when the kits are ready would be great.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

jerryglow2

A shame since the flush deck would bave been correct for all the widened version being a modification of M&StL only.

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

As of right now there's a glitch. I took Frank Hodina's word that these cars were all alike. The WP and MP cars and M&StL as built had narrow decks, meaning only as wide as the sides. The drawings Chad used (I supplied) were for the M&StL cars which were modified with a deck the width of the stake pockets. So there are brackets along the top of the sides added for support. Also it appears from my [extremely] limited photos that the MP cars had a different stake pocket casting.

Chad would need to make another master for the MP and WP cars. I haven't heard if he will do that yet.

Stay tuned....

Clark Propst

Clark Propst

The Gene Green drawing I sent Chad was for a modified M&StL car. I didn't know that at the time. This project started out to be a couple models for just me.

There seems to be about an even split between those wanting the M&StL version and those wanting one of the others, most wanting to model the MP. I'm guessing here because many guys didn't specify which RR they wanted.

Now that we know a bit more about the prototypes Chad is going to make another master to better replicate the MP, WP cars. There appears to be some differences in stack pockets too.
He says there will be only the extended deck, which can easily be cut to the MP/WP car's width.

Stay tuned....
Clark Propst

On 8/18/2011 8:25 PM, cepropst@q.com wrote:
Jon, Please respond off list. Thanks,
Clark Propst
Sorry about that:-[ ! Decals available?, think that's a question
for the list.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

jerryglow2

Actually Clark did mention Mark Vaughan would be doing a set for M&StL and I will be doing for MP for both as delivered and later renumbered with different graphics.

Jerry Glow
The Villages FL
http://home.comcast.net/~jerryglow/decals/