Topics

AAR Standard Lettering and Markings

al.kresse <water.kresse@...>

Do we know wheres and whens of the AARs "madatory" lettering and marking change circa 1934. i.e. the top lines, reporting marks and car number and bottom line on the left side of the freight cars?

Actual date(s) polled to and voted on by members?

Effective date(s) for new cars or shopped cars, or all cars in interchange service, etc.

I don't see it in my 1937 CBC.

Al Kresse

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Al Kresse wrote:
Do we know wheres and whens of the AARs "madatory" lettering and marking change circa 1934. i.e. the top lines, reporting marks and car number and bottom line on the left side of the freight cars?
If you look in, for example, the 1040 Cyc, you will see that the first MCB lettering standards were adopted in 1901, and the most recent revision as of 1940 was 1939--revisions were VERY frequent. And it is indeed called a "standard." But.
As far as I know, Al, it was NOT mandatory. There were many exceptions from both placement and style of lettering which are visible in period photos. In fact, the recommended lettering is initials only, but numerous roads (Southern, Pennsylvania, Seaboard, Southern Pacific) ignored that and used spelled-out road name. Some roads put lettering in different locations than recommended (CB&Q comes to mind). The standard says, for example, "Roman letters of figures of the design shown to be used." These are the old MCB letters. Practically EVERY railroad had its draftsmen draw their OWN lettering, which rarely matches the MCB lettering. All I can say, if this standard WAS mandatory, it sure wasn't enforced.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

I wrote:
If you look in, for example, the 1040 Cyc . . .
Hopefully most will realize this is a typo for 1940 Cyc. Sorry.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim Meyer

The CNW drawings that apply the reporting marks and lines to SS boxcars are dated Jan of 1938.

Tim Meyer

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al.kresse" <water.kresse@...> wrote:

Do we know wheres and whens of the AARs "madatory" lettering and marking change circa 1934. i.e. the top lines, reporting marks and car number and bottom line on the left side of the freight cars?

Actual date(s) polled to and voted on by members?

Effective date(s) for new cars or shopped cars, or all cars in interchange service, etc.

I don't see it in my 1937 CBC.

Al Kresse

Thomas Birkett

I don't know for sure where this falls in place but my copy of All ABout
Tank Cars 1921 published by Standard Tank Car has a drawing entitled "Figure
6 Markings. (Revised)" on Page 579, which reads.

"1918: Addition of horizontal bars above and below initials and number."

"1919 "A.R.A. Spec III (or I, II, IV or V)" substituted for "M.C.B.
Construction" on new and restenciled cars."

Thomas N. Birkett, PE

Bartlesville, OK