Intermountain 1958 Covered Hopper

Douglas Harding

Does anyone know the prototype for the InterMountain HO 1958 cu ft covered
Hopper? Is if ACF, GA or P-S? I ask because they offered it in a M&StL paint
scheme that is accurate for a series of cars the M&StL bought in 1940 from
GA.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Ed Hawkins

On Aug 31, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Does anyone know the prototype for the InterMountain HO 1958 cu ft
covered
Hopper? Is if ACF, GA or P-S? I ask because they offered it in a
M&StL paint
scheme that is accurate for a series of cars the M&StL bought in 1940
from
GA.
Doug,
The IM model is based on the ACF design. On the version of the
prototype car that IM produces, one distinguishing difference is the
locking bar arrangement. The ACF design had a single L-shaped rod that
held each hatch cover in the closed position. Cars built by
Pullman-Standard and GATC had two of these L-shaped rods per hatch.

I'm not positive buy IM might have developed a second locking bar
arrangement for P-S and GATC cars since they were so prevalent.

The 10 M&StL cars built in 1940 by GATC were discussed in a Mainline
Modeler article (July 1993). A drawing is provided but no photos.
Builder's photos of 70051 from series 70051-70069 (odd) show the cars
were painted black. Stencils were probably white but could also be
aluminum. They had two L-shaped rods per hatch, the middle section of
the sides were open, Apex running boards, Equipco hand brakes, and
70-ton double-truss spring-plankless trucks.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 31, 2011, at 7:55 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Does anyone know the prototype for the InterMountain HO 1958 cu ft
covered
Hopper? Is if ACF, GA or P-S? I ask because they offered it in a
M&StL paint
scheme that is accurate for a series of cars the M&StL bought in
1940 from
GA.
Doug, the IM covered hopper represents an AC&F car, but General
American and Greenville built cars that were essentially identical
apart from some minor detail differences. I recently modified one to
represent a Union Pacific CH-70-1 which was built in late 1940 by
GATC, and all I had to do was replace the running board (the
prototype car had a wood rather than steel grid running board) and
modify the hatch cover latch mechanisms to represent the somewhat
different GATC versions.

Richard Hendrickson

Douglas Harding

My Thanks to Ed and Richard for their quick response. Confirms the cars are extremely close, with just one minor detail.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Tim O'Connor

See Mainline Modeler, May 1993 for a builder photo of M&StL 70051.

[...]

Another small but noticeable difference may be the vertical
ribs. On PS car photos I've seen, the top of the rib is tapered
at about a 45 degree angle. There are also different hatch
designs, although I don't know if that's a builder difference or
a customer difference.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Clark Propst

Ed wrote: "Builder's photos of 70051 from series 70051-70069 (odd) show the cars were painted black. Stencils were probably white but could also be
aluminum."

The painting diagrams call for white stenciling.
Clark Propst