FGE in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York

Bill Welch

Gentleman:

Using the list of FGE contracted railroads from my message # 102650
as a reference, can those of you familiar with the railroads with
trackage in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York, please send me
a message identifying which ones operated in each of the three
states. I know the Long Island Railroad served Suffolk County and the
Staten Island Rapid Transit served Staten Island/Richmond County. I
realize some may be obvious but in this case I would appreciate it
you assume I know nothing.

Further, if you know which counties the particular RR's in question
served in each state that would be very helpful also. I have USDA
info with loadings by county and I am trying to sort out who would
have been loading "what" and "when?"

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com

Bill Schneider

Here's a start Bill. I'm sure that others can fill in some blanks.

Bill Schneider

Erie Railroad Co. - New York -

Nickel Plate – New York -

Long Island Railroad Co. – New York – Kings, Bronx, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk Counties

New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. – Connecticut (all) – Fairfield, Litchfield, New Haven, Middlesex, Hartford, Tolland, New London and Windham counties
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. – Massachusetts – Hampden, Berkshire, Barnstaple, Plymouth, Bristol, Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex, Worcester, Hampshire.

New York, Ontario & Western Railway Co. – New York – Orange, Sullivan, Ulster, Delaware, Ostego, Oneida, Oswego, Rockland Counties (maybe a few smaller ones as well)

Pennsylvania Railroad Co. – New York – Chemung, Schuyler, Seneca, Wayne, Cattaraugus, Erie, (maybe others)

Staten Island Rapid Transit Ry. - New York – Richmond County (?)

[...]

mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com

ROGER HINMAN

For Connecticut, I think its pretty save to say the New Haven was in every county and had a monopoly

For Massachusetts
Barnstable New Haven
Plymouth New Haven
Bristol New Haven
Norfolk New Haven
Suffolk New Haven, B&M, B&A
Essex B&M
Middlesex B&M, New Haven, B&A
Worcester B&M, New Haven, B&A
Hampden New Haven
Hampshire B&M, New Haven, B&A
Franklin B&M
Berkshire B&M, New Haven, B&A

Roger Hinman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Bryan Busséy

The NYNH&H also operated in New York: The Maybrook Line (Orange,
Dutchess) and the Main Line (Westchester, Bronx, Queens, Kings, New York).

bb

On 9/2/2011 12:04 PM, Bill Schneider wrote:

[...]

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Does the writer mean before Conrail or now?

The Central Vermont ran north from Norwich, CT through Palmer to
Brattleboro. The Boston and Albany ran from Boston to Albany with some
branch lines, none in Connecticut. Of course the B&M ran from Boston to
Troy, Springfield to White River Jct, and other line radiating from
Boston.

Joel Holmes

For Connecticut, I think its pretty save to say the New Haven was in
every
county and had a monopoly

For Massachusetts
Barnstable New Haven
Plymouth New Haven
Bristol New Haven
Norfolk New Haven
Suffolk New Haven, B&M, B&A
Essex B&M
Middlesex B&M, New Haven, B&A
Worcester B&M, New Haven, B&A
Hampden New Haven
Hampshire B&M, New Haven, B&A
Franklin B&M
Berkshire B&M, New Haven, B&A

Roger Hinman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Bill Welch

Yes thanks Byron, I was intending to ask about that. My database of FGE Icing stations shows two Icing locales on the NYNH&H--Maybrook, NY (Regular, Al-Year, Initial & Reicing) and Oak Point, NY (Emergency, Al-Year, Initial & Reicing)--so I thought it must have trackage in New York.

Maybrook is in Orange County. I have figured out where Oak Point is yet.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Busséy <bbussey@...> wrote:

The NYNH&H also operated in New York: The Maybrook Line (Orange,
Dutchess) and the Main Line (Westchester, Bronx, Queens, Kings, New York).

bb

On 9/2/2011 12:04 PM, Bill Schneider wrote:

Here's a start Bill. I'm sure that others can fill in some blanks.

Bill Schneider

Erie Railroad Co. - New York -

Nickel Plate â€" New York -

Long Island Railroad Co. â€" New York â€" Kings, Bronx, Queens, Nassau,
Suffolk
Counties

New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. â€" Connecticut (all) â€"
Fairfield,
Litchfield, New Haven, Middlesex, Hartford, Tolland, New London and
Windham
counties
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. â€" Massachusetts â€" Hampden,
Berkshire, Barnstaple, Plymouth, Bristol, Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex,
Worcester, Hampshire.

New York, Ontario & Western Railway Co. â€" New York â€" Orange, Sullivan,
Ulster, Delaware, Ostego, Oneida, Oswego, Rockland Counties (maybe a few
smaller ones as well)

Pennsylvania Railroad Co. â€" New York â€" Chemung, Schuyler, Seneca, Wayne,
Cattaraugus, Erie, (maybe others)

Staten Island Rapid Transit Ry. - New York â€" Richmond County (?)

[...]

That's embarrassing... I forgot Maybrook (the O&W interchange... Jeez!)

Oak Point is in the Bronx (New York City).

Bill Schneider

[...]

Oak Point is in the Bronx.

bb

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Bryan
Busséy <bbussey@...> wrote:

The NYNH&H also operated in New York: The Maybrook Line (Orange,
Dutchess) and the Main Line (Westchester, Bronx, Queens, Kings, New
York).

bb

On 9/2/2011 12:04 PM, Bill Schneider wrote:

Here's a start Bill. I'm sure that others can fill in some blanks.

Bill Schneider

Erie Railroad Co. - New York -

Nickel Plate âEUR" New York -

Long Island Railroad Co. âEUR" New York âEUR" Kings, Bronx,
Queens, Nassau,
Suffolk
Counties

New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. âEUR" Connecticut
(all) âEUR"
Fairfield,
Litchfield, New Haven, Middlesex, Hartford, Tolland, New London and
Windham
counties
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. âEUR" Massachusetts
âEUR" Hampden,
Berkshire, Barnstaple, Plymouth, Bristol, Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex,
Worcester, Hampshire.

New York, Ontario & Western Railway Co. âEUR" New York âEUR"
Orange, Sullivan,
Ulster, Delaware, Ostego, Oneida, Oswego, Rockland Counties (maybe
a few
smaller ones as well)

Pennsylvania Railroad Co. âEUR" New York âEUR" Chemung, Schuyler,
Seneca, Wayne,
Cattaraugus, Erie, (maybe others)

Staten Island Rapid Transit Ry. - New York âEUR" Richmond County (?)

[...]

The Pennsylvania (50% partner with the NYNH&H of the New York Connecting
Railroad and owner of the LIRR) also operated in Kings County and Queens
County as well as New York County. I don't know if there was an FGE
icing station in New York City Proper other than Oak Point.

Busséy <bbussey@...> wrote:

The NYNH&H also operated in New York: The Maybrook Line (Orange,
Dutchess) and the Main Line (Westchester, Bronx, Queens, Kings, New
York).

bb

On 9/2/2011 12:04 PM, Bill Schneider wrote:

Here's a start Bill. I'm sure that others can fill in some blanks.

Bill Schneider

Erie Railroad Co. - New York -

Nickel Plate âEUR" New York -

Long Island Railroad Co. âEUR" New York âEUR" Kings, Bronx,
Queens, Nassau,
Suffolk
Counties

New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. âEUR" Connecticut
(all) âEUR"
Fairfield,
Litchfield, New Haven, Middlesex, Hartford, Tolland, New London and
Windham
counties
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co. âEUR" Massachusetts
âEUR" Hampden,
Berkshire, Barnstaple, Plymouth, Bristol, Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex,
Worcester, Hampshire.

New York, Ontario & Western Railway Co. âEUR" New York âEUR"
Orange, Sullivan,
Ulster, Delaware, Ostego, Oneida, Oswego, Rockland Counties (maybe
a few
smaller ones as well)

Pennsylvania Railroad Co. âEUR" New York âEUR" Chemung, Schuyler,
Seneca, Wayne,
Cattaraugus, Erie, (maybe others)

Staten Island Rapid Transit Ry. - New York âEUR" Richmond County (?)

Using the list of FGE contracted railroads from my message # 102650
as a reference, can those of you familiar with the railroads with
trackage in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York, please send me
a message identifying which ones operated in each of the three
states. I know the Long Island Railroad served Suffolk County and the
Staten Island Rapid Transit served Staten Island/Richmond County. I
realize some may be obvious but in this case I would appreciate it
you assume I know nothing.

Further, if you know which counties the particular RR's in question
served in each state that would be very helpful also. I have USDA
info with loadings by county and I am trying to sort out who would
have been loading "what" and "when?"

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com

For Connecticut, I think its pretty save to say the New Haven was in
> every county and had a monopoly

Not a complete monopoly. The Central Vermont ran all the way to the
Connecticut shore, at New London.

Tim O'

Tim O'Connor

I'm curious, why would there be an icing station in the Bronx?
Wouldn't the Bronx be a -destination- for refrigerator cars, and
not so much an origin, or transit point? Was it common to have
icing stations at destinations?

Tim O'Connor

The Pennsylvania (50% partner with the NYNH&H of the New York Connecting
Railroad and owner of the LIRR) also operated in Kings County and Queens
County as well as New York County. I don't know if there was an FGE
icing station in New York City Proper other than Oak Point.

bb

Yes thanks Byron, I was intending to ask about that. My database of
FGE Icing stations shows two Icing locales on the NYNH&H--Maybrook, NY
(Regular, Al-Year, Initial & Reicing) and Oak Point, NY (Emergency,
Al-Year, Initial & Reicing)--so I thought it must have trackage in New
York.

MDelvec952

New York City was also an import point for produce and many other items in society, including many slaughterhouses. Bananas, for example, were huge business, transloaded from ships and put into fleets of reefers.

....Mike Del Vecchio

[...]

Tim,

Possibly because that was NH's west-end terminus from which they
performed major carfloat operations to New Jersey and other points in
the City.

bb

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Mike Del Vecchio wrote:
New York City was also an import point for produce and many other items in society, including many slaughterhouses. Bananas, for example, were huge business, transloaded from ships and put into fleets of reefers.
Those bananas weren't iced, though.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Right! I'd forgotten about the bananas. And yes, potatoes from Maine and
blueberries/cranberries might pass through westbound (although I suspect
most long haul westbound and southbound traffic from the New Haven went
via the Maybrook gateway).

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

Tim

Your question gets at the heart of just one of the many questions I am trying to sort out about FGE operations. They would have been carrying Cranberries headed west and south, hence possibly the reason for the facility at Oak Brook. (What else were they growing in Conn. and Mass., anyone?) Another seeming anomaly: the B&O had a "Regular, All Year, Initial & Re-Icing" facility at St George on Staten Island. I am trying to figure out what they were growing on Staten Island that the SIRT railroad and the B&O were shipping out.

A Reference Librarian at Cornell's Mann Library, their Agricultural Library, is trying to help me with such questions about New York produce.

Bill Welch

[...]

My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that the New York icing facilities would be for cars being interchanged or held for the numerous car float connections. That well known expert of everything (!) Wikipedia lists some of the operations here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_float

Bill Schneider

--- In mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

Would the shade grown tobacco from Conn. be shipped in ice cars?
It was a big crop in the 50's & 60's.

Fred Freitas

[...]

Another thought is iced fish products, though I doubt any FGE cars were used for it.

Fred Freitas

[...]

I think you are probably correct Bill. However both the Long Island and SIRT railroads had a "Refrigerator Car Contract" with FGE which meant they were loading perishable commodities on their lines. Why else would FGE be furnishing them cars? Oak Brook seems out of position be handling this traffic. However it listed as an "Initial Icing" facility, albeit an "Emergency" facility.

St George could have iced cars ordered by SIRT perhaps, as they handed off to the B&O, unclear about cars from the LI.

This is all part of a picture I am trying to sort out.

Bill Welch