D&RGW box car end lettering

prr6380

Recently put together a Sunshine Rio Grande box car with what looks like three doors although there are only two. Trying to clear shelf space because of the up coming meet at Lisle. Don't expect to buy any kits, but that will probably not hold up.

In photos you can see five lines of lettering on the lower part of the ends. I can't read them but I expected to put them in the same order as on the decal sheet. However while cutting them out I notice that the top two lines say 1-W WROT STL WHLS and the second line CAST IRON WHLS. Is this correct? Seems strange to call out two different types of wheels. If the Rio Grande actually did this, I have no problem doing it too.

This line is not primary with me, so I don't have enough reference material for this car. Who can have it all!

Walt Stafa
Columbus, Oh.

John H <sprinthag@...>

I haven't a clue about that particular car but, as one who does decals, I can suggest that both types of wheels were in use during the era when these cars and/or lettering scheme were in use. Hence some photos would show cars with 1-W WROT STL WHLS and other photos would show the CAST IRON WHLS lettering. The decal set was probably designed to cover both contingencies. All you have to do is choose one or the other. Don't use both. Well, you could put one on one side and the other on the opposite side just for variety. Of course if you are doing a particular for which you have photos, go by the photos.

John Hagen

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Walt" <prr6380@...> wrote:

Recently put together a Sunshine Rio Grande box car with what looks like three doors although there are only two. Trying to clear shelf space because of the up coming meet at Lisle. Don't expect to buy any kits, but that will probably not hold up.

In photos you can see five lines of lettering on the lower part of the ends. I can't read them but I expected to put them in the same order as on the decal sheet. However while cutting them out I notice that the top two lines say 1-W WROT STL WHLS and the second line CAST IRON WHLS. Is this correct? Seems strange to call out two different types of wheels. If the Rio Grande actually did this, I have no problem doing it too.

This line is not primary with me, so I don't have enough reference material for this car. Who can have it all!

Walt Stafa
Columbus, Oh.

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 13, 2011, at 8:53 AM, Walt wrote:

Recently put together a Sunshine Rio Grande box car with what looks
like three doors although there are only two. Trying to clear shelf
space because of the up coming meet at Lisle. Don't expect to buy
any kits, but that will probably not hold up.

In photos you can see five lines of lettering on the lower part of
the ends. I can't read them but I expected to put them in the same
order as on the decal sheet. However while cutting them out I
notice that the top two lines say 1-W WROT STL WHLS and the second
line CAST IRON WHLS. Is this correct? Seems strange to call out two
different types of wheels. If the Rio Grande actually did this, I
have no problem doing it too.

This line is not primary with me, so I don't have enough reference
material for this car. Who can have it all!

Walt Stafa
Columbus, Oh.
Walt, I have a builder's photo of one of these cars and the
stenciling on the ends reads as follows (centered on the large end
ribs, top to bottom):

1-W WROT STEEL WHEELS

RELEASE CONTROL RETAINER

ROYAL-F-BRAKE REGULATOR

DURYEA UNDERFRAME

TRUCK SPRING 3-1/2 TRAVEL

Richard Hendrickson

brianleppert@att.net

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:
Walt, I have a builder's photo of one of these cars and the
stenciling on the ends reads as follows (centered on the large end
ribs, top to bottom):

1-W WROT STEEL WHEELS

RELEASE CONTROL RETAINER

ROYAL-F-BRAKE REGULATOR

DURYEA UNDERFRAME

TRUCK SPRING 3-1/2 TRAVEL
Richard, is that spring travel 3-1/2 travel or 2-1/2?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 13, 2011, at 5:09 PM, brian wrote:

Richard, is that spring travel 3-1/2 travel or 2-1/2?
Definitely 3-1/2, Brian. The stenciling is clearly legible.

Richard Hendrickson