Flat car project

Clark Propst

I've uploaded 8 photos in the photo file with the same name as this emails subject line.

They show how I assembled the flat car model (not available in numbers yet). I attached the stake pockets first, some might want to wait to do that last. I figured with all the handling during assemble I'd find the loose ones on the work bench instead of having to look for them on the layout : ) Only one came off.
I didn't add the corner steps till last, cause I forgot. I would add them when drilling holes of the coupler box and trucks.

The stake pocket channel will be supplied with the model. Everything else you should have in your parts drawers.

I didn't do any underbody detail because I plan to fill that space with weight.

It was a fun couple hour project. Now I need to build the other two versions so I'll be ready when the decals and decks are ready.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

Chad sent me a photo of his deck samples. I've added to the Flat car file in the photos section.

Things are progressing...
Clark Propst

Clark Propst

I've added two more photos to the photo section file that no one wants to approve. These two show the power hand brake conglomeration I came up with for the WP and MP cars. I used a piece of a Ajax gear box and a square of plastic. Because the hand wheel is dished I used the one off the Tichy spure with the inside re-enforcing circle cut out. Took four hand wheels before I figured out a technique. Another shows how I added sheet lead to bring the model's weigh up to 4 ozs without trucks, couplers or deck. That was the most rime consuming part of the task.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

jerryglow2

I think you need to lie and say they're good for UP. Bet that'll get instant approval. <VBG> Are they the same pics you posted on the M&StL list? I viewed them there this morning.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark and Eileen" <cepropst@...> wrote:

I've added two more photos to the photo section file that no one wants to approve. These two show the power hand brake conglomeration I came up with for the WP and MP cars. I used a piece of a Ajax gear box and a square of plastic. Because the hand wheel is dished I used the one off the Tichy spure with the inside re-enforcing circle cut out. Took four hand wheels before I figured out a technique. Another shows how I added sheet lead to bring the model's weigh up to 4 ozs without trucks, couplers or deck. That was the most rime consuming part of the task.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Propst

Yeah and the ones I've attached to emails on the P-L list. Except of the one with the MP, WP handbrake.

--- In STMFC@..., jerryglow@... wrote:

I think you need to lie and say they're good for UP. Bet that'll get instant approval. <VBG> Are they the same pics you posted on the M&StL list? I viewed them there this morning.

Jerry Glow

Aley, Jeff A

What, they're good for UP??? I'll approve them right away!!

-Jeff Aley
Deputy Moderator, STMFC