Boats on Flats

csxt5555

Here is a question for you guys.  Do any of you guys happen to know if Cris Craft shipped their boats by rail?  I thoought I had seen pics somewhere of some wood boats loaded ob flatcars but I can't remember.  I thought that since I model in 1/8th scale that a wooden Cris Craft would look great loaded.

-Kevin Sprayberry

water.kresse@...

Kevin ,

Yes they did in Michigan, both out of Grand Rapids and Algonac(sp).

Search the C&O HS digital archives.  There are some good overhead pix of them with wooden craddles on flats traveling down eastern lakeshore of Lake Michigan somewhere.

Al Kresse

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Kevin Sprayberry wrote:
Here is a question for you guys. Do any of you guys happen to know if Cris Craft shipped their boats by rail? I thoought I had seen pics somewhere of some wood boats loaded ob flatcars but I can't remember. I thought that since I model in 1/8th scale that a wooden Cris Craft would look great loaded.
I don't know about Chris Craft specifically, but certainly cabin cruisers were often shipped that way. There is a photo of one such, on an SP flat car, in my book on SP flat cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dennis Williams

There is a photo in one of the PER diesel years books from Morning Sun.
Dennis Williams
www.resinbuilders4u.com

On Wed Sep 28th, 2011 10:00 AM PDT Anthony Thompson wrote:

Kevin Sprayberry wrote:
Here is a question for you guys. Do any of you guys happen to know
if Cris Craft shipped their boats by rail? I thoought I had seen
pics somewhere of some wood boats loaded ob flatcars but I can't
remember. I thought that since I model in 1/8th scale that a wooden
Cris Craft would look great loaded.
I don't know about Chris Craft specifically, but certainly
cabin cruisers were often shipped that way. There is a photo of one
such, on an SP flat car, in my book on SP flat cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

al_brown03

In the Florida Photographic collection, search "Parker's Boat". I don't know what make of boat is shown, but I'm currently building the flatcar.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Kevin Sprayberry wrote:
Here is a question for you guys. Do any of you guys happen to know
if Cris Craft shipped their boats by rail? I thoought I had seen
pics somewhere of some wood boats loaded ob flatcars but I can't
remember. I thought that since I model in 1/8th scale that a wooden
Cris Craft would look great loaded.
I don't know about Chris Craft specifically, but certainly
cabin cruisers were often shipped that way. There is a photo of one
such, on an SP flat car, in my book on SP flat cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Kevin

I have a scan of an NP flat car loaded w/ 16 small boat hulls,
stacked up 4 high on a scaffold built on the flat car. It's from
the 1960's, in Chicago. Could be Cris Craft or another builder.

And there was that terrific Tom Madden photo of a sailboat on a
flat car, on SP's Donner Pass route.

Tim

Here is a question for you guys. Do any of you guys happen to know
if Cris Craft shipped their boats by rail? I thoought I had seen
pics somewhere of some wood boats loaded ob flatcars but I can't
remember. I thought that since I model in 1/8th scale that a wooden
Cris Craft would look great loaded.
I don't know about Chris Craft specifically, but certainly
cabin cruisers were often shipped that way. There is a photo of one
such, on an SP flat car, in my book on SP flat cars.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

I think this photo of a Pere Marquette gondola loaded with two
row boats is reasonably famous.

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/401/29365/january-1996-page-51

Tim O'Connor

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Chris-Craft and other similar small-boat builders most commonly shipped just about everything by rail until well after the war. My own personal family 1946 ChrisCraft was shipped from CC's Caruthersville, MO plant to Clear Lake, IA by rail, the exact rail routing listed on the delivery card (I am away from my records so cannot be more specific).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Medford, OR

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

This picture shows the unloading a Starcraft boat from a flat car at Milwaukee's inner harbor. I thought the blocking beneath the boat was interesting:

http://content.mpl.org/cdm4/item_viewer.phpCISOROOT=/MilwWaterwa&CISOPTR=973&CISOBOX=1&REC=4

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

Sorry I messed up that link. Let's try again...

At 9/29/2011 11:04 AM Thursday, you wrote:
Sorry I messed up that link. Let's try again...

http://content.mpl.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/MilwWaterwa&CISOPTR=973&CISOBOX=1&REC=4

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 29, 2011, at 3:40 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

I think this photo of a Pere Marquette gondola loaded with two
row boats is reasonably famous.

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/401/29365/january-1996-
page-51
Rowboats? C'mon, Tim, look at the size of those things. They're
lifeboats for an oceangoing ship and, given the date of the photo,
they're doubtless on their way to equip a Liberty or Victory ship.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

Richard

One man's dinghy is another man's dory, I always say.

Tim O' :-)

I think this photo of a Pere Marquette gondola loaded with two
row boats is reasonably famous.

http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/401/29365/january-1996-page-51
Rowboats? C'mon, Tim, look at the size of those things. They're
lifeboats for an oceangoing ship and, given the date of the photo,
they're doubtless on their way to equip a Liberty or Victory ship.

Richard Hendrickson

J.A. Phillips

Retired USN captain's gig on the BN at Missoula, 1970, being delivered from Bremerton to Polson for the BSA:

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN29553

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN29556

The NP even moved a Chinese junk just a few years before merger. (_Not_ at the RVN database.)

73
JP3

John <jriddell@...>

john.allyn@...

I have some vague recollection of seeing small WWII landing craft being transported on flat cars.  An LCVP was 36' long and had an 11' beam.  Fine as far as length, then but it might be a little wide.  Does anyone else have any record of this, or am I hallucinating?  This would make a very interesting load.

John B. Allyn

Nashville TN ----- Original Message -----
On 2011-09-30, at 2:42 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
We discussed that boat extensively on the list, around the beginning
of March 2009. This is the probable true story of that movement. (The
photo captions may be incorrect.)
They're certainly incorrect in one respect. The captions identify
the flat car as a Canadian National car, but in fact it's a Santa Fe
car. Moving the boat required a 60' flat car, which the CN did not
own. In fact, at the time, only a couple of western U.S. railroads
had such cars, the Santa Fe being one of them, so the CN obviously
got the Santa Fe to lend them one (the idler flats at either end were
CN cars, however).

Although CN chose to use an ATSF flat for this particular purpose, they did in fact own a small number of 60' flats -- the CN 600300-600326 series were built by the Canada Car Co. for predecessor Grand Trunk as GTR 69900-69929 in 1906. Although the last survivor in this series was retired in 1971, cars renumbered to the 660000-660009 series in 1968-69 lasted until 1974.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...
http://freightcars.nakina.net
http://siberians.nakina.net

Larry Sexton

I know of several photos of these landing craft loaded on flatcars during WWII. Over 30,000 were built in Louisiana and other inland locations and then shipped by rail to East and West coast ports for maritime shipment and service in the North African, European and Pacific invasions. Apparently the extra width wasn’t that much of a concern, the time being what they were. I think I have photos I can scan if you are interested.

Larry Sexton

I have some vague recollection of seeing small WWII landing craft being transported on flat cars. An LCVP was 36' long and had an 11' beam. Fine as far as length, then but it might be a little wide. Does anyone else have any record of this, or am I hallucinating? This would make a very interesting load.

John B. Allyn
Nashville TN ----- Original Message -----
Here are three views that may be of interest

http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54 <http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54&photoid=-66313070> &photoid=-66313070

http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54 <http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54&photoid=25008555> &photoid=25008555

http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54 <http://www.imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_choice.cfm?id=54&photoid=1860412688> &photoid=1860412688

John Riddell