Lisle RPM

Bill Schneider

Just a quick "Thank You" to Joe and all involved in putting on the Lisle RPM meet (formerly.... and soon to be again... known as "Naperville"). The meet was a great success, the clinics that I attended were all well presented and attended and the quality of the models on display was phenomenal. It was also great to have a chance to meet and talk with many of you there. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name.

Looking forward to next year!

Bill Schneider
Rapido Trains

Andy Harman

At 02:26 PM 10/24/2011 -0400, you wrote:
Just a quick "Thank You" to Joe and all involved in putting on the Lisle RPM
meet (formerly.... and soon to be again... known as "Naperville").
I thought the hotel rooms were quite nice, although the toilets sounded like a freight train going into emergency. The facility was adequate overall, but kind of a rat maze. I heard there were 300+ people there but there wasn't any central gathering point like there is at the lobby of the old Naperville hotel.

Ever notice how few night owls there are anymore? I remember the glorious 90s when we'd close down the bar at Naperville and there would still be 4 tables and 20-25 people. I think I must be the last night owl... always have been. Now I just go to my room and get on the laptop.

Andy

Tim O'Connor

In August 2001 I stayed for 3 nights at the Chicago Hilton on the
waterfront with my whole family for $50 a night... I wonder if the
organizers of the meet just assume that a downtown venue would be
more expensive but maybe it wouldn't be? I just thought of this
because the Hilton had a great lounge and a very good restaurant.
Also the 5th floor has a giant swimming pool, sauna and massage... :-)

Tim O'Connor

Just a quick "Thank You" to Joe and all involved in putting on the Lisle RPM
meet (formerly.... and soon to be again... known as "Naperville").
I thought the hotel rooms were quite nice, although the toilets sounded
like a freight train going into emergency. The facility was adequate
overall, but kind of a rat maze. I heard there were 300+ people there but
there wasn't any central gathering point like there is at the lobby of the
old Naperville hotel.

Ever notice how few night owls there are anymore? I remember the glorious
90s when we'd close down the bar at Naperville and there would still be 4
tables and 20-25 people. I think I must be the last night owl... always
have been. Now I just go to my room and get on the laptop.

Andy

Scott Kremer

For those of us that drive to the meeting the parking is more than
that at any good downtown hotel in Chicago.

Scott Kremer

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're
on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest Unsubscribe Terms of Use
.

naptownprr

That's true, and I like Chicago, but you'd also have to deal with
downtown Chicago traffic.

Quoting Scott Kremer <skremer@...>:

For those of us that drive to the meeting the parking is more than
that at any good downtown hotel in Chicago.

Scott Kremer

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're
on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

A problem with downtown is parking expenses. You loose what you save on the
hotel in parking fees. Besides, that $50 room in 2001 is now probably over
$100 per night. Then there's the traffic problem. Personally, I prefer the
suburbs with plenty of inexpensive restaurants nearby and free parking.

Nelson

[...]

Andy Carlson

Yes, but with great public transportation, there is nothing preventing an
attendee from parking at a free space adjacent to a suburban CTA stop. $2.25
each way on the "L"would be a bargain, and much of a hardship to bear. I like
all of the food choices around the Loop, enough variety to please anyone. While
Lisle suffered in available close-by eating establishments, Naperville is only
marginally better. I would love to attend a downtown event.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Quoting Scott Kremer <skremer@...>:

For those of us that drive to the meeting the parking is more than
that at any good downtown hotel in Chicago.

Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>

Actually, there were several eating establishments near the hotel in Lisle.
Chinn's seafood restaurant was very good, there was a German restaurant
nearby, Granny's just down the street was great for breakfast, there was a
Polish buffet about 15 min. away, there was Panera for lunch, and many other
choices if you knew where to look. All it took was a willingness to explore.
The same goes for Naperville.

Nelson

<mailto:skremer%40wideopenwest.com> >:

For those of us that drive to the meeting the parking is more than
that at any good downtown hotel in Chicago.

naptownprr

I would have to agree with Nelson; I found lots of places to eat in Naperville.

Jim

Quoting Nelson Moyer <ku0a@...>:

[...]

Charlie Vlk

Good luck finding $100 room rates in Chicago... the places that have them
you really don't want to stay in, and they don't have conference facilities.
Everything is more expensive in Chicago proper.

Downtown parking (and the CTA parking lots are now $5 per day, at least the
one in Rosemont is..the city sold the parking meters) and everything is more
expensive. I suspect that is the primary reason iHobby is moving to
Cleveland..it costs $180 just to get an extension cord plugged into an
outlet at Rosemont; I shudder to think of what the rate is at McCormick
Place. In Chicago you start running into union problems with people
bringing in and setting up their own stuff, like modules.

I agree with Nelson, there are plenty of great places to eat in the suburbs,
especially in the Lisle/Naperville area. Next time seek out a "local" with
a car. Maybe Joe can make up a map with suggested breakfast, lunch and
dinner spots highlighted... the chamber of commerce probably would be happy
to do it.

Charlie Vlk

A problem with downtown is parking expenses. You loose what you save on the
hotel in parking fees. Besides, that $50 room in 2001 is now probably over
$100 per night. Then there's the traffic problem. Personally, I prefer the
suburbs with plenty of inexpensive restaurants nearby and free parking.

Nelson

Andy Carlson

You are missing my point: To eat in Naperville, your choices are limited when
you walk. Any town anywhere has plenty of places to eat if you wish, or are
able, to drive. Very few walking close (None) at Lisle, and Naperville's
close-by eateries are rather few. I have eaten enough times at Buono to suffice
for my remaining lifetime.
Chicago loop choices are nearly one every 15 yards, offering a feast of
cuisines.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________

Yes, but with great public transportation, there is nothing preventing an
attendee from parking at a free space adjacent to a suburban CTA stop. $2.25

each way on the "L"would be a bargain, and much of a hardship to bear. I
like
all of the food choices around the Loop, enough variety to please anyone.
While
Lisle suffered in available close-by eating establishments, Naperville is
only
marginally better. I would love to attend a downtown event.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Quoting Scott Kremer <skremer@...
<mailto:skremer%40wideopenwest.com> >:

For those of us that drive to the meeting the parking is more than
that at any good downtown hotel in Chicago.

Charlie Vlk

Andy-

Depending on the location of the hotel, you can walk quite a ways to find moderately-priced places to eat in Chicago. On the Gold Coast, Michigan Avenue, choices can be limited. And the places that are 15 yards apart are the national chains that don’t offer food as good as Buono. My advice is find a couple of people going out for food that have a car…..maybe a signup board for people looking for food / drivers willing to take them?

Charlie Vlk

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Nelson Moyer wrote:
Actually, there were several eating establishments near the hotel in Lisle. Chinn's seafood restaurant was very good, there was a German restaurant nearby, Granny's just down the street was great for breakfast, there was a Polish buffet about 15 min. away, there was Panera for lunch, and many other choices if you knew where to look. All it took was a willingness to explore. The same goes for Naperville.
And actually a "Famous Dave's" a short drive away. We went there Saturday night.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Clark Propst

What discussing here are differences between those who drive in versas those that use other types of transportation.
The guy I ride with always complains about the NMRA having their conventions in 'downtown, venues. So, if Joe were to decide to move this event downtown I doubt we would come.

I come to events like this to buy stuff I normally don't have access to. I'm not spending extra for hotel prices. Can't justify eating at a place that charges a resin car kit of a meal. I can eat anytime, but only see the resin guys once, twice a year...

My two cents on a dumb subject,
Clark Propst

PS - There was a bunch of beer drinking hell raisers in the 4E lounge area every night till midnight or after. Highlight was drinking photo Bob's moonshine: ))

Allen Rueter

What traffic? use CTA/Metra,

I took Amtrak into Union Station & Metra to Lisle. $52 r/t

Thanks to those who drove, I did bum a few rides.

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

Bill Welch

I suggest the people advocating the downtown venue do the necessary research, crunch the numbers and talk to Joe, convince him or not, and leave the rest of us out of it until it is time to decide whether to go or not.

Sheriff, please get us back to freight cars!

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Allen Rueter <allen_282@...> wrote:

What traffic? use CTA/Metra,

I took Amtrak into Union Station & Metra to Lisle. $52 r/t

Thanks to those who drove, I did bum a few rides.

--
Allen Rueter
StLouis MO

kmelvin1663 <melvinphotos@...>

Well, I'll throw our hats in the ring! This was my third RPM at Naperville/Lisle. First time, 2009, flew to O'Hare and shuttled to Naperville; walked for food or ate in the hotel. Last year, flew and rented a car, drove to food or ate in hotel. This year, my wife Kathy and I flew into O'Hare and rented a car; went out for food or ate in the hotel. Liked the room this year but disliked the hotel in general and particularly disliked the food. BUT, as Clark says, who cares, it's not a foodie seminar...it's a chance to be inundated by good models, modelers, dealers and seminars. Oh, bring in some Ritz and peanut butter; that'll keep you going! We liked the "perpetual train show" and shopped a number of different times! For the record, we have been and stayed downtown for a long weekend; there aren't many bargains that we saw... We prefer the suburbs and are pleased that Joe is taking us back to Naperville. We may drive out (from Maine) next year so we can bring more models to display and haul even more goodies home!
George & Kathy Melvin
Readfield, Maine
PS...THANK YOU JOE FOR KEEPING THIS GOING!

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

What discussing here are differences between those who drive in versas those that use other types of transportation.
The guy I ride with always complains about the NMRA having their conventions in 'downtown, venues. So, if Joe were to decide to move this event downtown I doubt we would come.

I come to events like this to buy stuff I normally don't have access to. I'm not spending extra for hotel prices. Can't justify eating at a place that charges a resin car kit of a meal. I can eat anytime, but only see the resin guys once, twice a year...

My two cents on a dumb subject,
Clark Propst

PS - There was a bunch of beer drinking hell raisers in the 4E lounge area every night till midnight or after. Highlight was drinking photo Bob's moonshine: ))

Thomas Warne <warne@...>

________________________________

One gossip item I picked up talking to the bartender at the hotel... the place
is closing by the end of the year.
Interestingly, I passed the old Naperville Holiday Inn which is underegoing
renovations... as a Marriott!  It's supposed to

open in Spring of 2012.  Maybe we'll be back at the old stand.  I certainly
preferrred the abundance of parking reasonably

close to the door, compared to the Lisle location.  If you didn't luck out (or
have a handicapped sticker) you were in for
a long, long walk to the hotel entrance.

Tom Warne

Leave your car in burbs. Most people at Naperville don't have a
car there anyway so parking is not an issue -- but public transport
(lack of it, at Lisle/Naperville) is an issue. As for eating, Chicago
is the land of PLENTY. World class eating all around. And as someone
pointed out if you travel with the wife/kids the city is just so much
more fun than the burbs. And if attendees get bored with model trains
they can wander a few blocks away for some fine real train watching.

Tony pointed out the problem may be the cost of meeting space, and he's
probably right. But with airfare, transport, hotel and food these meets
can easily run $1000 or more for out of towners, and that's before we
buy any photos or new resin kits. An extra $100 for a downtown venue
might be partially made up for with other savings.

Tim O'Connor

At 10/25/2011 11:17 AM Tuesday, you wrote:
Actually, there were several eating establishments near the hotel in Lisle.
Chinn's seafood restaurant was very good, there was a German restaurant
nearby, Granny's just down the street was great for breakfast, there was a
Polish buffet about 15 min. away, there was Panera for lunch, and many other
choices if you knew where to look. All it took was a willingness to explore.
The same goes for Naperville.

Nelson

mopac1 <mopac1@...>

While on the subject of the Lisle RPM Conference this year, what did Joe
have to say about it over breakfast on Sunday?

Due to the layout of the facility, it has hard to get a feel for how many
attended. Did Joe give any numbers on attendance?

The vendors seemed to be fewer in number this year, with a few staples
missing, WrightTRAK, Bill Raia, Modelers Choice among them.

Gene Semon