Time Period Covered by STMFC Group

Dick Dawson <dickdawson@...>

I'm relatively new to this group and find the level of expertise of the
participants to be remarkable. This was certainly exhibited in the photos
from the Lisle RPM Meet. I noticed photos of Penn Central and TTX cars,
which certainly caught my attention, as I designed cars built by both those
companies. Having worked in the freight car industry since the late 1960s,
my interests are more oriented to the period from about 1960 to the present.
This is true, not only because of my personal involvement for most of that
period, but also because of significant changes in freight car use and
construction that took place during that time, including the following:

the widespread use of 100-ton, and later 110-ton, cars

the replacement of solid journal bearings with roller bearings

the replacement of boxcars by covered hopper cars as the primary carriers of
grain, with covered hoppers eventually becoming the most widely used car
type

the introduction of 60-ft. and 86-ft. boxcars, first for auto parts and
eventually (although not 86-ft. cars) for a wide variety of loads

the enormous expansion of intermodal traffic and the proliferation of car
types used to haul it

The STMFC group's limitation to freight cars built prior to 1960 is entirely
logical, as indicated in the name, but the foregoing leads me to the
question of whether there is a similar discussion group that covers the
period after 1960. Any suggestions from the participants in this group
would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Dawson

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "dh30973"
<dhussey@...> wrote:

The photos I took at the Lisle RPM Meet are up at:

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011&page=all> &page=all

Dave Hussey

Schuyler Larrabee

There are two other lists:

The Baby Boomer FCL, which I believe covers around 1945 to maybe 1976? I'm
not a member so don't know for sure.

The Modern Freight Cars list, which I believe covers post-1960.

Both are Yahoo! lists and can be found on Yahoo!

SGL

<dhussey@...> wrote:

The photos I took at the Lisle RPM Meet are up at:

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011&page=all> &page=all> &page=all

Dave Hussey

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Bryan Busséy

The group name is bbfcl.

bb

On 10/30/2011 11:04 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Baby Boomer FCL

Tim O'Connor

Dick, yes, BBFCL is focused on 1954 to 1986. But mostly we seem to
discuss 1960's and 1970's, the "sweet spot" I guess.

Tim O'Connor

The STMFC group's limitation to freight cars built prior to 1960 is entirely
logical, as indicated in the name, but the foregoing leads me to the
question of whether there is a similar discussion group that covers the
period after 1960. Any suggestions from the participants in this group
would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Dawson

Jim Gates

bbfcl - 1954-1986
mfcl is 1960 and later

Jim Gates

________________________________

<dhussey@...> wrote:

The photos I took at the Lisle RPM Meet are up at:

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011&page=all> &page=all> &page=all

Dave Hussey

=======
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Dick Dawson <dickdawson@...>

My thanks to everyone who pointed me in the direction of the BBFCL and MFCL. I joined the MFCL and it looks very interesting.

Dick Dawson

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
<dhussey@...> wrote:

The photos I took at the Lisle RPM Meet are up at:

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011
<http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011 <http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/lisle2011&page=all> &page=all> &page=all> &page=all

Dave Hussey