FGE underframe paint

D. Scott Chatfield

I rescued an old Golden Spike kit for an FGE reefer from an abusive home. It has the underframe parts painted either the same freightcar red as the ends and roof or simply left unpainted metal. I can't tell from the few photos I have whether those parts should be red or black. Also, somewhere along the line I got the impression that the roof should be unpainted galvanized or painted silver for post-1950 FGE cars. Was this true for mechanical reefers? The model's lettering indicates it was built at Alexandria in 1956 and reweighed in 1960.

Thanks for any help. I know this is the same prototype that WrightTrak did a few years ago but I always wanted one of these Golden Spike kits ever since I saw them in Walthers catalogs when I was a kid in the early '70s.

Scott Chatfield

Bill Welch

Scott

With rare exceptions, FGE underframes and trucks were black. All of the drawing I have generally say the roofs were aluminum after 1951 or so. I have a new crop of drawings I am still processing, which includes the 50-ft mechanicals. I will look to confirm and if I find anything contrary to this I will post it to the list in the next day or so.

In case it makes any difference, does your "treasure" feature the older faceted "Optic" stenciling or later sans-serif Gothic style?

Bill Welch