New MDT book

Panhandle Division 1953 <prrinvt@...>

Listers,
I highly recommend the new MDT book for your resource library.
It is filled with photos, plans, and charts the serious modeler
will find hard to put down. Kudos to Roger Hinman for putting this great volume together.

Fred Freitas

Bill Welch

Mine is on order and I plan to take it to Cocoa Beach to have Roger sign it. I am also planning to take my PFE and SFRD books along and have them signed as well.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Panhandle Division 1953" <prrinvt@...> wrote:

Listers,
I highly recommend the new MDT book for your resource library.
It is filled with photos, plans, and charts the serious modeler
will find hard to put down. Kudos to Roger Hinman for putting this great volume together.

Fred Freitas

Dennis Williams

Where can I get a SFRD book??
  Dennis Williams/Owner
www.resinbuilders4u.com

________________________________

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
lnbill

Mine is on order and I plan to take it to Cocoa Beach to have Roger sign it.
I am also planning to take my PFE and SFRD books along and have them signed
as well.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed? When I wrote my book a
number of people brought them to me to sign, and one bookstore wanted me to
sign all the copies that I shipped to them. I don't see the value - or
point - of having the author's signature in a book. I asked a couple of
people I knew why they wanted it signed, but they just gave me that "Either
you are joking or you are an idiot" look.

KL

Bill Welch

I my case I know the authors. I imagine for the people that asked you to sign their books, a signed copy had intrinsic value that words or reason could not express.

Bill Welch

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
lnbill

pullmanboss <tcmadden@...>

Bill Welch wrote:

Mine is on order and I plan to take it to Cocoa Beach to have Roger sign it. I am also planning to take my PFE and SFRD books along and have them signed as well.
Let me know how you make out getting Dean Hale's signature on your SFRD book, Bill. :-)

Tom Madden

Bill Welch

I was planning to ask Richard and Tony since AFAIK they are the two authors of the books I mentioned that will be there.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "pullmanboss" <tcmadden@...> wrote:

Bill Welch wrote:

Mine is on order and I plan to take it to Cocoa Beach to have Roger sign it. I am also planning to take my PFE and SFRD books along and have them signed as well.
Let me know how you make out getting Dean Hale's signature on your SFRD book, Bill. :-)

Tom Madden

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 25, 2011, at 7:40 PM, pullmanboss wrote:

Bill Welch wrote:

Mine is on order and I plan to take it to Cocoa Beach to have
Roger sign it. I am also planning to take my PFE and SFRD books
along and have them signed as well.

Let me know how you make out getting Dean Hale's signature on your
SFRD book, Bill. :-)
Hell, Tom, I'll sign for Dean. A bogus signature? Everything about
Dean was so bogus no one would ever know the difference.

Richard Hendrickson

Schuyler Larrabee

Kurt,

If you are a bibliophile, and the book itself has an intrinsic value to you,
the fact that your copy has been directly in the hands of the author, as
evidenced by the signature, adds to the panache of owning that book.

Some people have different opinions as to whether the addition of a
personalization, as in:

For Schuyler

Tony Thompson

For a currently fictitious example, is better or less desirable.

As a parallel example, a baseball with a signature of Ted Williams, for
example, is more valuable than a brand new baseball.

In any event, the use of a steam-powered pen is highly desirable, in order
to stay somewhere near the content of this list . . .

Schuyler

From: Kurt Laughlin

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Tim O'Connor

Now, now, I believe that the list rules still frown on personal
attacks, even against the deceased.

Tim O'Connor

Hell, Tom, I'll sign for Dean. A bogus signature? Everything about
Dean was so bogus no one would ever know the difference.
Richard Hendrickson

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

Yeah, I could understand that for a first edition book of Poe short stories,
but an $8 saddle-stitched collection of aircraft photos by a high-school
history teacher or a $20 technical examination of a light tank wrapped in a
spiral binding? Hardly the things you'll find in the rare book room of the
LoC or on the block at Sotheby's.

KL

From: Kurt Laughlin

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?

Tim O'Connor

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?
one word answer: Collectors

longer answer: Higher average resale value of signed books

It helps if the author is deceased. :-)

John H <sprinthag@...>

You better get the book signed before the decession of the author. Unless you are willing to do some mid-night digging and even then......

It is true that a signed train book won't be sold at a Christies auction but it is kind of neat to have a signed edition and it likely will bring a tad more on ebay.

John Hagen

> Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?

one word answer: Collectors

longer answer: Higher average resale value of signed books

It helps if the author is deceased. :-)

Scott Pitzer

Gee, I thought it might be because there was some personal connection involved, between author and book owner.
I've seen cases where a show biz celeb would only sign something "personalized" (which would imply the holder was a big fan) but not unpersonalized (implying the holder had dollar signs in his eyes, ebay auction, etc.)
Of course we probably don't want RR authors inscribing books with "mushy stuff" do we?
Scott Pitzer

From: Kurt Laughlin

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?

Jared Harper

So, if I get my book signed and then kill the author it will up the value of my book. Think I will do that.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

> Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?

one word answer: Collectors

longer answer: Higher average resale value of signed books

It helps if the author is deceased. :-)

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, Jared, it would definitely upgrade the value of YOUR book. In a kind
of macabre way, but yep, it would increase it. For your family as you
reside in prison. 8^)

Schuyler

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Tim O'Connor
<timboconnor@...> wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want them signed?
one word answer: Collectors

longer answer: Higher average resale value of signed books

It helps if the author is deceased. :-)

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

coronadoscalemodels

We received the new MDT book for stock for our store. People that were wanting it have canceled in buying one. While it is probably a very good corporate history, for the model builder they find it lacking. It would had been a lot nicer if scale drawings were included. Most of our customers are model builders. Instead, the drawings are only 2 views (side and end), with no underframe or cross sections. And they are not printed to any known scale, and no dimensions are given to even scale from. I suppose you can assume the wheelbase of the trucks are 5' 6" and you can go from there. But it would be better to have a longer known dimension.

Were the drawings included in the book part of a more complete drawing that can be obtained elsewhere?

Stan Schwedler
Coronado Scale Models

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Stan Schwedler wrote:
We received the new MDT book for stock for our store. People that were wanting it have canceled in buying one. While it is probably a very good corporate history, for the model builder they find it lacking. It would had been a lot nicer if scale drawings were included. Most of our customers are model builders. Instead, the drawings are only 2 views (side and end), with no underframe or cross sections. And they are not printed to any known scale, and no dimensions are given to even scale from. I suppose you can assume the wheelbase of the trucks are 5' 6" and you can go from there. But it would be better to have a longer known dimension.
Here is a superb resource on the MDT's complex car fleet, INCLUDING fine drawings and dozens of excellent photos, and MODELERS are "canceling?" What more do they want? Extremely few freight car books of any kind are as complete and thorough as this one. Yes, I'm biased, but I think Stan's customers are confused.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Lyons

Seem to be a little touchy Tony! (grin)
Paul Lyons

[...]

ROGER HINMAN

The drawings for the book were all done in 2D CAD and originally printed in O scale. It is relatively low tech in this day and age to copy and scale any printed drawing. I would be more than glad to provide a truck center distance for any of the crawings where that dimension does not occur in the book. The intent of the drawings was to capture as accurately as possible the look of a typical car in the various decades of the company's existence using all data sources available.

In addition to corporate history, there is a significant effort to organize and describe the vast amount of equipment this company built or purchased. Of interest to a model buiider is a resource to better help them identify what cars they are interested in by data tables,photographic history, and bibliographic sources. Many on this list have expressed skepticism in many modeler's car drawings published over the years since they have led to some disastrous consequences when an incorrect model was produced. Most manufacturers today prefer to find original drawings. Thanks to the efforts of some libraries and historical societies, many original MDT drawings are available once one acquires the knowledge to know what to look for. This book was my humble attempt to share some of that knowledge.

Roger Hinman