Big Glaring Freight Car Hole

Bill Welch

I realize we all have opinions about the obvious holes in the types
of freight cars yet to be offered in kit form, but in my own opinion,
and as the new MDT book will help underscore and document the
numerous possibilities, the largest class of Wood Sheathed MDT
reefers built with DS ends and fishbelly u/f begs to be offered.
Maybe there are some resinators lurking that will do this, although I
think it is the kind of thing that could be justified in styrene too.

I'm just say'in.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 1, 2011, at 1:31 PM, Bill Welch wrote:

I realize we all have opinions about the obvious holes in the types
of freight cars yet to be offered in kit form, but in my own opinion,
and as the new MDT book will help underscore and document the
numerous possibilities, the largest class of Wood Sheathed MDT
reefers built with DS ends and fishbelly u/f begs to be offered.
Maybe there are some resinators lurking that will do this, although I
think it is the kind of thing that could be justified in styrene too.
Agreed. I could certainly use one.

Richard Hendrickson

ghslaw31

Bill,
We have just formed a small company to limited production of models that are not available. We plan to do a limited run to fill orders received and then discontinue that item.
If you and the group can give us an idea of the interest we would be happy to explore it with you further.
Gerry Siegel

Bill Welch

Gerry:

I am not an expert on MDT but I am sure others can furnish information in terms of drawings and the many paint and stenciling schemes for these cars, both in their original form and as they evolved over time. Given the many refrigerator car kits already available (or available in the past) in styrene and resin, this particular prototype, of which there were thousands, sticks out like a sore thumb as a void to be filled.

I would think a logical place for your company to begin would be to purchase a copy of the new MDT book so that you can understand the significance of the cars in question.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry Siegel" <cgsiegel@...> wrote:

Bill,
We have just formed a small company to limited production of models that are not available. We plan to do a limited run to fill orders received and then discontinue that item.
If you and the group can give us an idea of the interest we would be happy to explore it with you further.
Gerry Siegel

Since my modeling begins in the late 1950's I'd love to see kits for
DESPATCH built steel ice reefers, especially those that wore NRC reporting
marks. Are those (NRC) cars covered in the MDT book?

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Since my modeling begins in the late 1950's I'd love to see kits for DESPATCH built steel ice reefers, especially those that wore NRC reporting
marks. Are those (NRC) cars covered in the MDT book?
Yes.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 2, 2011, at 6:25 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Since my modeling begins in the late 1950's I'd love to see kits for
DESPATCH built steel ice reefers, especially those that wore NRC
reporting
marks. Are those (NRC) cars covered in the MDT book?
Yes, they are, Tim. In fact, every MDT car is covered in the book.
It's a splendid book, with less than a third of it devoted to
corporate history, the rest consisting of history, photos, drawings,
etc. of the entire MDT car fleet from the 1870s to the end of the
twentieth century. I'm baffled by the recent criticism of it on this
list.

Richard Hendrickson

Tim O'Connor

... every MDT car is covered in the book ... I'm baffled by the
> recent criticism of it on this list.
> Richard Hendrickson

Well, it was just one person, evidently a retailer. Perhaps his
customers are confused by the presence of actual text in the book,
as opposed to the popular "coffee table" approach of most railroad
books these days with a large number of randomly chosen photos and
minimal (and often self-evident) captions.

Tim O'

ghslaw31

Bill,
Perhaps I haven't made clear our business plan.The way we work is offer our services. The customers select the model they want and supply the photos, plans, etc. That way there is no question as to whether or not the proper model is built. We do not make a model and then try and sell it. We buiild to your specs at a fixed price agreed to in advance. We are not in a position, nor do we wish to, compete with high production suppliers.
We have just recently filled an order from a small group of S scalers for a Chicago transit model and have another to fill.
If the group can agree on a particular model for which a need exists and is not available, we will undertake to work up a proposal. The quality will be very good but it will not be inexpensive.
Gerry

Eric Hansmann

According to the Abacus Modelworks website, they have an MDT M4 ice reefer coming to their line. Scroll down to kit 1014.x on this page for a simple listing:
http://www.abacusmodelworks.com/products.htm

No additional details are currently available. Possibly someone from Abacus Modelworks would make a comment on this steam era freight car model.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
New Paltz, NY

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I realize we all have opinions about the obvious holes in the types
of freight cars yet to be offered in kit form, but in my own opinion,
and as the new MDT book will help underscore and document the
numerous possibilities, the largest class of Wood Sheathed MDT
reefers built with DS ends and fishbelly u/f begs to be offered.
Maybe there are some resinators lurking that will do this, although I
think it is the kind of thing that could be justified in styrene too.

I'm just say'in.

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Bill Welch

Gerry:

Thanks for the clarification. I should be clear that I do not represent a group. I was hoping to plant a seed that the cars I mentioned deserve to be done, hoping some enterprizing producer of resin kits, i.e. Funaro & Camerlengo, the new owner of Westerfield Golden Age Line, Southern Car & Foundry, etc. would pick up the ball and run with it, or that one of the innovative purveyors of styrene kits would see the potential and since there is a brand new resource available, why not strike while the "iron is hot?!"

[...]

Eric:

I am aware. Frankly I am more impressed when I see announcements that something is ready to ship and there is a price associated with the product. That "Futures" list has been up for at least a year and nothing has eventuated from it.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Friends:

I should have added that a website like the one Eric mentions may actually be discouraging others from doing a project.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Lyons

Have these Folks ever made any resin kit?
Paul Lyons

[...]

Paul,
If when you say "These folks" and ask if we have ever done a resin kit and are referring to us, the answer is yes. We have done a number of special orders such as we have proposed in my email.
I'll be happy to discuss it with you off line if you wish. Our website is presently being redone to reflect our new products so I can't presently refer you there.
Gerry Siegel

Nathan Obermeyer

Gerry,

Maybe I missed it, but what is the name of the business and does it have a website?

Nate

[...]

Bruce Smith

Gerry,

He was talking about Abacus, not y'all ;^)

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"Gerry Siegel" <cgsiegel@embarqmail.com> 12/03/11 6:32 PM >>>
Paul,
If when you say "These folks" and ask if we have ever done a resin kit
and are referring to us, the answer is yes. We have done a number of
special orders such as we have proposed in my email.
I'll be happy to discuss it with you off line if you wish. Our website
is presently being redone to reflect our new products so I can't
presently refer you there.
Gerry Siegel

Paul Lyons

Gerry,
The oringinal post was not about your company. Bruce Smith's post answered your question.
Paul Lyons

If when you say "These folks" and ask if we have ever done a resin kit and are referring to us, the answer is yes. We have done a number of special orders such as we have proposed in my email.
I'll be happy to discuss it with you off line if you wish. Our website is presently being redone to reflect our new products so I can't presently refer you there.
Gerry Siegel

ghslaw31

There seems to be some thought that I have been trying to conceal my buisness and/or my connections. In the interest of full disclosure I am working with Tom Doherty of Pa Heritage Models. There is a web site but it does not reflect the business and it is the process of reconstruction.
I would like to reiterate, we do not make models and try to sell them. We will build limited runs of a specific desired model. We require the buyers to supply the plans, drawings, photos, etc so that there is never a question as to whether or not the correct model is produced.
I hope this puts to rest any questions you might have had about our bona fides, however if there are further questions please feel free to pose them.
Gerry

Armand Premo

I would like to see more and better 40' Auto Box Cars.Armand Premo