1949 for Younstown doors, was: Fox Valley (and ExactRail) B&O Wagontop

Jim Mischke

"No memos have appeared in the B&O archives describing a planned door replacement program for the M-53."

B&O memo exists. The cover letter for M-53 Youngstown replacement door drawings is dated Jan. 3, 1949. This would have much implications for who can have what wagontop boxcar door when on their model railroads. Youngstown doors were available in early 1949.

Rather than replacing orignal Tatum XLT doors in kind, B&O was already specifying vendor doors, such as Superior doors for the M-26, as early as early 1943. Such vendor hardware measures seemed to appear after the retirement of John Tatum effective 1-1-42. Unappreciative former subordinates.

Memo came to B&OHS when we emptied out the Gassaway station attic of all its B&O stored records. Included were the car shop foreman's files (named Arasmith), with perhaps every relevant B&O freight car memo 1925-1960. These files bore much fruit, helping Chris Barkan compose his boxcar and hopper car lettering scorecards back in 1994-5.

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:
Todd,

This was discussed in some earlier posts. Briefly, the photo evidence
indicates that most cars appear to have Youngstown doors after ~1955,
but there is a photo from 1952 of an M-53 already with a Youngstown
door. >
Trying not to confused the facts, but it appears from photo evidence
that the when the M-15 wagon-tops received new AAR underframes in ~1955
they also received new Youngstown doors. A speculative suggestion would
be that the use of replacements doors on the M-15 wagon-tops led to a
door replacement program for the class M-53.

The circle "T" indicates that the box car is suitable for l.c.l.
(less-than-car load) service, which was named "Time-Saver Service" on
the B&O. That usually indicated that the box car was suitable for class
A loads.

Bob Witt

Todd Horton wrote:

Does anyone know if (all of the cars had)Â and when the doors would
have been replaced? The Springs Mills site shows in service pics of cars
with Youngstown doors on all of them. One other minor detail, what's the
"circle T" designate? Todd Horton