From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
To: stmfc@...
Sent: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:46 PM
Subject: [STMFC] mysterious SLSF 150256 box car

I'm mystified by this particular car because it is one of a tiny
handful of "all steel" cars in the series 150000-150999, yet all of
the cars in the "all steel" single door groups are listed in the Notes
sections of the 1950, 1955, 1959 and 1965 ORER's -- But 150256 is never
mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300632969040

Rich

I'm astounded that Sunshine would bother! :-) In the 1950 ORER, there
are exactly 4 all-steel cars -- and 976 "steel frame" cars (ORER-speak
for single sheathed cars with wood side sheathing). These same 4 cars
continue to be the only all-steel cars listed through 1959, while
the wood side cars declined steadily to 667 cars in 1959.

The 4 all-steel cars are listed: 150081, 150495, 150620, 150778.

Neither 150526 (the car in the Ebay photo) nor 150087 (the model in
the Sunshine flyer) is listed.

Hence, the mystery. (It's possible 150256 was rebuilt in the 1940's
and destroyed before 1950, which would explain the photo and the ORER
data.)

Tim O'Connor

Tim, FWIW, Sunshine makes a resheathed steel version , kits 80.8 & 80.9
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun80.pdf
Rich Christie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300632969040
Tim O'Connor

Bill Kelly

Tim,
Here is another one,
http://transport.castlegraphics.com/displayimage.php?album=84&pos=170
Looks like another all steel car.

Later,
Bill Kelly

Tim wrote:
Rich

I'm astounded that Sunshine would bother! :-) In the 1950 ORER,
there are exactly 4 all-steel cars -- and 976 "steel frame" cars
(ORER-speak for single sheathed cars with wood side sheathing).
These same 4 cars continue to be the only all-steel cars listed
through 1959, while the wood side cars declined steadily to 667
cars in 1959.

The 4 all-steel cars are listed: 150081, 150495, 150620, 150778.

Neither 150526 (the car in the Ebay photo) nor 150087 (the model in
the Sunshine flyer) is listed.

Hence, the mystery. (It's possible 150256 was rebuilt in the 1940's
and destroyed before 1950, which would explain the photo and the
ORER data.)

53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ee0e1657b619bd5c7m02vuc

Bill Welch

The flier highlighting the kit says the Frisco rebuilt over 800 cars with steel sheathing in the 150000 series.

Regarding "ORER-speak" the ORER frequently misspeaks or more accurately misstates, mischaracterizes, or leaves out information in the "Marking and Kind of Cars" column based on my analyzing multiple Fruit Growers Express entrees. It is not hard to believe they would do so in other entrees.

The initial photo BTW is from "Bob's."

Bill Welch

[...]

Thanks Bill. I guess I've been spoiled from reading SP ORER entries,
which are more explicit regarding this type of rebuilding (B-50-15/16).

Tim O'Connor

The flier highlighting the kit says the Frisco rebuilt over 800 cars with
steel sheathing in the 150000 series.

Regarding "ORER-speak" the ORER frequently misspeaks or more accurately misstates,
mischaracterizes, or leaves out information in the "Marking and Kind of Cars" column
based on my analyzing multiple Fruit Growers Express entrees. It is not hard to
believe they would do so in other entrees.

The initial photo BTW is from "Bob's."

Bill Welch

David

I guess I've been spoiled from reading SP ORER entries,
which are more explicit regarding this type of rebuilding (B-50-15/16).
From what I've seen, the ORER entries after 1910 or so are as good (or bad) as the data the car owners sent in. Some cared, some didn't.

David Thompson

Bill Welch

David

Therein lies the rub. The ORER was totally dependent on the information they were given.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "David" <jaydeet2001@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@> wrote:
I guess I've been spoiled from reading SP ORER entries,
which are more explicit regarding this type of rebuilding (B-50-15/16).
From what I've seen, the ORER entries after 1910 or so are as good (or bad) as the data the car owners sent in. Some cared, some didn't.

David Thompson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bill Welch wrote:
Regarding "ORER-speak" the ORER frequently misspeaks or more accurately misstates, mischaracterizes, or leaves out information in the "Marking and Kind of Cars" column based on my analyzing multiple Fruit Growers Express entrees. It is not hard to believe they would do so in other entrees.
The ORER cannot "misspeak," as it only printed what railroads submitted. If entries are wrong, they were sent in wrong by the particular railroad. Given that the ORER had the status of a tariff document, railroads certainly tried to be accurate, but of course anyone who has spent time with ORER entries has found an occasional error. But as I've said before, out of hundreds of thousands of numerical entries, not very many are wrong. I strongly disagree with Bill's comment that the errors are "frequently" found. That simply is not my experience,

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tony

I think Bill was only referring to that one column -- I checked
out some other car series for the SLSF, and it does appear that
the Frisco just didn't distinguish between all-steel rebuilds and
composite cars in several series. Tough luck for modelers! :-(

This is actually the first time I've run across this particular
omission. But in the future I'll be a little more cautious in
accepting what is in that column.

Tim O'

At 12/8/2011 12:43 PM Thursday, you wrote:
Bill Welch wrote:
Regarding "ORER-speak" the ORER frequently misspeaks or more
accurately misstates, mischaracterizes, or leaves out information in
the "Marking and Kind of Cars" column based on my analyzing multiple
Fruit Growers Express entrees. It is not hard to believe they would
do so in other entrees.
The ORER cannot "misspeak," as it only printed what railroads
submitted. If entries are wrong, they were sent in wrong by the
particular railroad. Given that the ORER had the status of a tariff
document, railroads certainly tried to be accurate, but of course
anyone who has spent time with ORER entries has found an occasional
error. But as I've said before, out of hundreds of thousands of
numerical entries, not very many are wrong. I strongly disagree with
Bill's comment that the errors are "frequently" found. That simply is
not my experience,

Tony Thompson

David

I strongly disagree with
Bill's comment that the errors are "frequently" found. That simply is
not my experience,
Part of it might be that once bad data did get in the entry, it tended to stay there until that line had to be revised for some other reason.

David Thompson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

David Thompson wrote:
Part of it might be that once bad data did get in the entry, it tended to stay there until that line had to be revised for some other reason.
That's true if the railroad did not submit fresh copy for the following issue, which did happen a lot earlier in the 20th century. But my friend Steve Peery, who worked on ORER submissions for SP in the '60s, said a complete new entry was sent every time.

Publishers of books on railroad history

jerryglow2

Ed Hawkins told me Frisco bought replacement cars for wreckied ones and used the old number. Don't know if this is a case of that.

Jerry Glow

I'm mystified by this particular car because it is one of a tiny
handful of "all steel" cars in the series 150000-150999, yet all of
the cars in the "all steel" single door groups are listed in the Notes
sections of the 1950, 1955, 1959 and 1965 ORER's -- But 150256 is never
mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300632969040

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch

Trying to be more precise in my statement. Over a span of years of quarterly editions, the ORER entrees for Fruit Growers Express and Western Fruit Express consistently had misleading information in the "Markings and Kind of Cars" column resulting possibly in erroneous conclusions. The misleading information perpetuated from edition to edition over the years.