ADMIN: Re: Re: Still time to order DVD's!

mike brock <brockm@...>

Ron dePierre notes:

Hmmmm ...
I thought the STMFC Group rules clearly stipulated advertising on Friday ONLY. Was there not a reminder about this recently ?
Perhaps there was a policy change that I am not aware of...
Here is the current rule...set in place several months ago:

"Messages regarding the selling of products associated with freight cars as
part of a commercial
enterprise must be sent during the period of noon Friday EST and Saturday
midnight EST."

Scott Mason's message arrived a bit late but I approved it anyway...particularly since traffic is slow today. I will, however, explain the rule's current time period to him. Also, the DVD must contain info on steam era frt cars so, yes, his DVD might not pass muster.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Greg Martin

Mike,

I fully understand the rules but what I object to is that this email has
come from someone who does not participate in this forum accept when he has
something to sell and to me that is SPAM...

I think that others would agree and perhaps if they spoke up the rule would
perhaps change just a bit in our favor.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 12/11/2011 8:30:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
brockm@brevard.net writes:

[...]

Scott Pitzer

I should just skip over Scotty Mason ad messages, the same as I would skip over a message concerning CB&Q cabooses circa 1903. Or an Algoma Central camp car. Not everything has to be about my particular interests.
But somehow I'm drawn to them-- I guess in a strange way I WANT to be annoyed by a Form Letter from a stranger, that's going out to several lists?
In the future I'll try counting down, five four three two one, while clicking Delete. And maybe some of that Chai tea would help.
Scott Pitzer

SUVCWORR@...

FWIW, I agree with Greg and suggest that the rule be changed to reflect a requirement that anyone posting messages regard the selling of products by a commercial enterprise be required to at a minimum "occasionally" post messages germane to the list. Occasionally being determined by the owner/moderators but more than once a year.

Rich Orr

brockm@brevard.net writes:

[...]

Individual Email | Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

STMFC-digest@yahoogroups.com

STMFC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Ed

I do not necessarily agree with allowing this advertisement but the rationale presented is even weaker. By this rationale, you can only post if you are an active member which is defined as someone who "participates". It seems to me that those of us who choose to read the traffic daily and to learn by the information presented are just as much "participants" as those who post regularly. My recommendations are that we either allow these posts or not - I am ambivalent - but don't add a distinction about "participation".

Ed Robinson