Evergreen

Jared Harper

I forwarded the Evergreen catalog pages to my dealer. He is getting the 1x4.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Jared Harper wrote:
A day or so ago someone made the comment about how great Evergreen
styrene is and that they hoped it would never go away. I just put
an order in to my mail order dealer that included HO scale 1x4. He
tells me it is no longer available and that I need to order .010x.
050. I don't know what this change means.
I'm sorry to have to say this, but you CANNOT trust what a LHS
dealer TELLS you is "no longer available." That too often translates
as "I don't want to order that." We continue to get calls and emails
about one of our books being "out of stock" or "not available" when
the book is perfectly available. It's true that some of our titles are
either out of print of temporarily out of stock, but I'm talking about
books which have been and are entirely available, on our web site and
at many dealers.
I have personally experienced local shops claiming a particular
model was not available, or even "that company went out of business,"
when those statements were demonstrably false.
That said, I don't know whether Evergreen is changing how it
sizes its products, only that you cannot depend on what you are told
at your LHS.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jared Harper wrote:
[...]

Tim O'Connor

Also, remember the General Rule of Thumb:

With few exceptions, hobby dealers are one of the planet Earth's
greatest sources of misinformation. I can't even count the number
of times I've been told something is "no longer made" or just "not
available" or "sold out", and then found it immediately somewhere else.

As of this morning, Google "evergreen styrene" "1x4" returns 817 hits.

Tim O'Connor

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but the owner of Evergreen, Brian Ellerby, passed away in April 2010. He was a narrow gauge modeler, 3' in S scale. I saw his layout in 2004 on a layout tour of the PSX2004 NMRA national convention in Seattle, Wa, very nice modelling. His family, son or sons, not sure which, were going to keep Evergreen in business. This may be the way that his family are running the business now. Although 1" X 4" HO scale strips do show up in Evergreen's web site:

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Strips.htm#HO%20Scale%20Strips

However, I have seen lots of websites not up to date.

Larry Wolohon/Plymouth, Mi.

A day or so ago someone made the comment about how great Evergreen styrene is and that they hoped it would never go away. I just put an order in to my mail order dealer that included HO scale 1x4. He tells me it is no longer available and that I need to order .010x.050. I don't know what this change means.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Andy Sperandeo

Jared,

See Evergreen's website at www.evergreenscalemodels.com. It still lists HO scale 1x4 and other HO strip sizes. The line for HO 1x4 includes the actual inch dimensions of .011x.043.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Andy

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim David wrote:
In the UK styrene sections and sheet, both Evergreen and other manufacturers, seem to have always been sold in 1/1000s of an inch (normally referred to as thou, e.g. '5 thou sheet'). This is despite the UK being theoretically metric for the last 35 years or so. I'm not sure how it works in mainland Europe, whether the actually sizes are different or the non-whole number metric equivalents are used. I've never seen it sold as scaled down prototype sizes, possibly because the main scale isn't H0.
Tim, no doubt you noticed that we Americans blame our system of units on the English <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history

talltim10

In the UK styrene sections and sheet, both Evergreen and other manufacturers, seem to have always been sold in 1/1000s of an inch (normally referred to as thou, e.g. '5 thou sheet'). This is despite the UK being theoretically metric for the last 35 years or so. I'm not sure how it works in mainland Europe, whether the actually sizes are different or the non-whole number metric equivalents are used. I've never seen it sold as scaled down prototype sizes, possibly because the main scale isn't H0.

Tim David

ken chapin wrote:
sounds like they are using the metric system so they can have one
list for every were the U S is the only one that is not using that
standard.
Sounds to me like it's in English inches, so it's not the
metric system, it's the English digital system.

ken chapin wrote:
sounds like they are using the metric system so they can have one list for every were the U S is the only one that is not using that standard.
Sounds to me like it's in English inches, so it's not the metric system, it's the English digital system.

Publishers of books on railroad history

kenneth chapin <kenneth_chapin@...>

HI;
sounds like they are using the metric system so they can have one list for every were the U S is the only one that is not using that standard.  ken