Topics

Reading USRA Gondola Load

Richard Townsend

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to load in this car. Anyone?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Bruce Smith

Richard,

How about a big box? It could hold anything. Crates were common steam
era gon loads. Alternatively, gons carried pipes, poles, steel plate,
steel shapes... and the list goes on and on and on. If you wish a
"typical" lading from an industry on the READING, certainly steel
products from a variety of mills (e.g. Lukens) are appropriate, but of
course, home road lading is not required.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

<richtownsend@netscape.net> 01/01/12 2:10 PM >>>
I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR.
I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. My
research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load,
and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thin
wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I am
asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to load
in this car. Anyone?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:34 AM, richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading
RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for
it. My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was
known for anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea
of a coal load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale
pretzels from thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be
very realistic. So I am asking the collective brain of this list
for suggestions on what to load in this car. Anyone?
Richard, I agree with Bruce; steel products would be a common load in
Reading mill gons. However, I'm attaching a photo which shows a
ductwork load that would certainly be interesting and different. If
you decide to model it, be sure to let us see photos of the finished
product. Note the Taylor trucks on the gon. Photo by Col. Chet
McCoid from Bob's Photo Service, Providence, RI 12/57.

All the best in the new year,

Richard Hendrickson

Tom Houle <thoule@...>

Rich,
I have a photo of Reading USRA gon 23019 loaded with Reading steel containers. I can send it you and anyone else that is interested. I'm thinking Walthers at one time or another sold these containers for use in their USRA gons.
Tom Houle

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:34 AM, richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading
RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it.
My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal
load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from
thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic.
So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on
what to load in this car. Anyone?

Richard Townsend

Thanks, Richard. I may rise to this challenge. As for the trucks, the reason I have the gon is that I came into a set of Eastern Car Works Taylor trucks and wanted something to put on top of them.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

[...]

Tom,

Not a bad idea. But I suspect those containers didn't wander too far from the home rails. Would that be right? My model railroad is set in Colorado, so the load had to be something that would be transported a long distance.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

I have a photo of Reading USRA gon 23019 loaded with Reading steel containers. I can send it you and anyone else that is interested. I'm thinking Walthers at one time or another sold these containers for use in their USRA gons.
Tom Houle

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:34 AM, richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading
RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it.
My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal
load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from
thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic.
So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on
what to load in this car. Anyone?

SUVCWORR@...

Richard,

The Reading served Fort Letterkenny outside Chambersburg, PA via its connection with the WM. Ft L was and is the principle location for rebuilding armor. For a different load, you could send a load of new tracks for armor or old tracks going for scrap or any component needed to rebuild armor.

Rich Orr

<richtownsend@netscape.net> 01/01/12 2:10 PM >>>I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. Myresearch on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known foranthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load,and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thinwire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I amasking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to loadin this car. Anyone?Richard TownsendLincoln City, Oregon

ShenangoRS@...

HI Tom,

I just acquired two of the Walthers USRA gons which I am planning to strip
and repaint. Last week I (re)found a set of John Hall reading
gondola decals in my decal box. I'd really like to see the picture you are
speaking of, if possible. I believe that this would make an interesting model.

Thank You,
Mike Bradley
Sharpsville, PA

(mailto:richtownsend@netscape.net) wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading
RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it.
My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal
load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from
thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic.
So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on
what to load in this car. Anyone?

Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@...>

I offered container carloads for the Reading USRA gon. The new owner of Westerfield should be offering them in the future. – Al Westerfield

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:34 AM, mailto:richtownsend%40netscape.net wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading
RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it.
My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal
load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from
thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic.
So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on
what to load in this car. Anyone?

Todd Horton

This topic brings up a couple of points on my mind lately.

On topic,  Wasn't there a steel mill located outside of Pottsville Pa?  I recall seeing photos of PRR cars loaded with steel products from this plant. Did the Reading serve here as well? I know there were a big player in this area. If anyone knows of photos of the plant or have information about shipments leaving here I would be interested to see them. I assume both roads had access to the plant.

Slightly off topic but I think it's relevant and it was discussed here with in the past week was the loading of tractors on flat cars. This had me thinking about believable loads for flats and open gons. Since tractors were recently discussed I'll use that as an example. What roads flat cars would you expect a load of tractors on?  The C of G is my primary focus but I wouldn't expect to see a load of John Deere's on one of their flats.  Not saying that this didn't happen but I would be surprised to see it. There's an exception to any rule but I'm thinking about what general commodities you would expect to see on say XYZ roads car. I wouldn't expect to see a load a pulp wood in a Reading gon but I suppose it could have happened.  Boxcars and covered hoppers aren't really a consideration here since most of the time you can't tell what's loaded in them but that's another topic for later discussion. If this has been discussed in the past then I
apologize for bringing it back up.   Todd Horton

[...]

Mt Vernon shops (http://www.mountvernonshops.com/) has containers for the Reading in resin. They are available in packs of 10 with decals.

Rich Orr

[...]

I'm not sure if the Reading ever shipped containers that far.
[...]

Clark Propst

Not many RDG USRA gons running around the Upper Midwest, but here's one.

RDG 7321 6950-7449 GB steel billets

Clark Propst

Eric Hansmann

In addition to the load, I wonder when these USRA mill gons were equipped with AB brake systems. A recent comment here noting AB brake systems on less than 25% of the 1940 freight car fleet had me wondering about how quickly the mill gons would be upgraded. Hoppers tended to be rebuilt more frequently and many owners of the composite USRA gons rebuilt with steel sides through the 1930s.

Wouldn't these USRA mill gondolas be candidates for retaining K brake systems through WWII?

Eric

Eric Hansmann
New Paltz, NY

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, richtownsend@... wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR. I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. My research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load, and while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thin wire, I don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I am asking the collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to load in this car. Anyone?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Bruce Smith

Eric,

Don't interpret the pre WWII percentage to equal an immediate post WWII
percentage. In preparartion for WWII there was a rapid conversion of
many cars in 1940 and 1940. In addition, the heavy tonnage and long
trains of the war resulted in a number of wrecks directly atributed to
too high a percentage of K brakes in the trains, thus there was a push
to convert even more. By 1944 the percentage was down to 50% or less,
iirc. That said, yes, some of these cars likely still had their K
brakes.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

"Eric" <eric@hansmanns.org> 01/02/12 8:15 AM >>>
In addition to the load, I wonder when these USRA mill gons were
equipped with AB brake systems. A recent comment here noting AB brake
systems on less than 25% of the 1940 freight car fleet had me wondering
about how quickly the mill gons would be upgraded. Hoppers tended to be
rebuilt more frequently and many owners of the composite USRA gons
rebuilt with steel sides through the 1930s.

Wouldn't these USRA mill gondolas be candidates for retaining K brake
systems through WWII?

Eric

Tom Houle <thoule@...>

To all interested in the USRA 70-ton 46' mill gons operated by the Reading,
Pennsy, NYC, B & O, and a few other eastern roads, I recommend the RMC
multi-page article "USRA Steel Mill Gondolas" by Eric Neubauer in the
June, 2000 issue. It includes photos, Reading HO drawings, and history of
this car. Westerfield and Walthers offered this car.
Tom Houle

[...]

Larry Sexton

In addition to the RMC article Tom Houle references, the Richard Hendrickson
article in the July 2002 Rail Model Journal, and the discussions in the
Steam Era Freight Cars Reviews are both helpful when working on the 46' USRA
gons.

Larry Sexton

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> ,
richtownsend@... wrote:

I have a Walthers USRA gondola painted and lettered for the Reading RR.
I'm trying to come up with a suitable and interesting load for it. My
research on Reading, PA disclosed that the city is or was known for
anthracite coal and for pretzels. I don't like the idea of a coal load, and
while I am confident I could fashion HO scale pretzels from thin wire, I
don't think a load of pretzels would be very realistic. So I am asking the
collective brain of this list for suggestions on what to load in this car.
Anyone?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Rich Yoder

To all interested,
I also produced this model in "O" Scale a few years ago.
There are several good photos on my web site of Reading cars.
http://www.richyodermodels.com/rym_fc_rdg_cont_gon.htm

Rich Yoder

[...]

Hey, seeing Rich Yoder's comments on his beautiful brass O scale USRA mill
gon offering, reminded me;

Rails Unlimited offers this car in a resin O scale kit: a one-piece body,
separate under frame, and ends that can be left up or down. Pennsy decals
are available, too.

Tom Houle

[...]

Great images Rich! Thank you for pointing these out.

Interesting that the first image is of a P&LE gondola that I assume is a USRA mill gon clone as it does not have a flat steel drop end. It is also equipped with a KC brake system and not a KD system.

At least one of the images of in-service Reading gondolas sports a KC brake system, but reweigh and repack dates are not clear on the image of Reading 21445.

Bruce, thanks for the detail on the brake system upgrades through WWII. In some cases, a KD or KC brake system is visible on a freight car and the fact that many older cars had their K systems through the war years is most interesting.

My modeling focus is centered on late 1926 but I do have a few freight cars detailed for a 1948 time period. I often field questions about the different brake systems on my models and can now preface with information that a certain percentage of older freight cars may have retained their earlier brake systems. For those modeling the late 1930s or the WWII years, this may be another detail layer to consider.

I hope all attending Cocoa Beach have a great time. I'll see several of you at the upcoming RPM-Valley Forge meet!

Eric

Eric Hansmann
New Paltz, NY