Topics

Re-issue of Branchline wood reefers by Atlas

spsalso

Anyone have opinions on the accuracy of the paint jobs on these? I'm pretty sure the Fruit Growers is wrong, but how about the others?

Ed

Edward Sutorik

arved_grass

--- In STMFC@..., "spsalso" <Edwardsutorik@...> wrote:

Anyone have opinions on the accuracy of the paint jobs on these? I'm pretty sure the Fruit Growers is wrong, but how about the others?

Ed

Edward Sutorik
Prototype: http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2005/fruit/car.asp
Model: http://tinyurl.com/7qyhnpy

I'm certainly not a FGE expert, but it's not all that bad, is it?

Arved G. Grass
Fleming Island, Florida

Benjamin Hom

Arved Grass wrote:
"Prototype: http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2005/fruit/car.asp
Model: http://tinyurl.com/7qyhnpy

I'm certainly not a FGE expert, but it's not all that bad, is it?"

Model certainly isn't an ex-Branchline reefer.  It's got molded on details, and
looks an N scale model.  (Even though this photo is hosted on their "HO Scale"
pages, Atlas has used photos of N scale models in HO listing in the past.)

Ben Hom

spsalso

Atlas has stated that it is a re-issue of the Branchline car.

I ask about this model because I'm far from an expert in the wood-reefer field. I don't know the difference(s) between FGEX, Union, NATX......

And there isn't a lot of material on this kind of car online, as opposed to, say, 50' steel boxcars.

Or am I just missing a perhaps available source?

I note that the model has a fish-belly center sill--Fruit Growers appear to not.

There are also corner re-enforcements on the model--these are kinda rare on most of the wood reefer photos I've looked at (the reefers in color book).

Ed

Edward Sutorik

--- In STMFC@..., Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Arved Grass wrote:
"Prototype: http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2005/fruit/car.asp
Model: http://tinyurl.com/7qyhnpy

I'm certainly not a FGE expert, but it's not all that bad, is it?"

Model certainly isn't an ex-Branchline reefer.  It's got molded on details, and
looks an N scale model.  (Even though this photo is hosted on their "HO Scale"
pages, Atlas has used photos of N scale models in HO listing in the past.)

Ben Hom

Ed Hawkins

On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:29 PM, spsalso wrote:

Atlas has stated that it is a re-issue of the Branchline car.

I ask about this model because I'm far from an expert in the wood-reefer field. I don't know the difference(s) between FGEX, Union, NATX......

And there isn't a lot of material on this kind of car online, as opposed to, say, 50' steel boxcars.

Or am I just missing a perhaps available source?

I note that the model has a fish-belly center sill--Fruit Growers appear to not.

There are also corner re-enforcements on the model--these are kinda rare on most of the wood reefer photos I've looked at (the reefers in color book).

Ed,
The models are patterned after URTC, MRX, NWX, and WRX cars built in the late 1920s to 1930s by AC&F. RP CYC Volumes 4 and 5, both out of print, had articles about the cars including numerous builder's photos of original billboard schemes and 1930s-1950s in-service photos. Color photos of some of these cars are in Gene Green's Refrigerator Car Color Guide by Morning Sun Books.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Bruce Smith

On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:29 PM, spsalso wrote:

Atlas has stated that it is a re-issue of the Branchline car.

I ask about this model because I'm far from an expert in the wood-reefer field. I don't know the difference(s) between FGEX, Union, NATX......

And there isn't a lot of material on this kind of car online, as opposed to, say, 50' steel boxcars.

Or am I just missing a perhaps available source?

I note that the model has a fish-belly center sill--Fruit Growers appear to not.

There are also corner re-enforcements on the model--these are kinda rare on most of the wood reefer photos I've looked at (the reefers in color book).
Ed,

Bill Welch may be able to definitely tell us, but this is definitely NOT a common FGE reefer if it is one at all. The problem with FGE is that they had several major styles and then lots of "lost sheep" that came in from member roads. Unless Bill gives a thumbs up, I would stay away, focusing mainly on the 1921 and 1927 style cars (Sunshine for both, Intermountain for post WWII rebuilds of the 1927, or as fodder for kitbashing the earlier cars).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Richard Hendrickson

Ed, in addition to the RP Cyc issues cited by Ed Hawkins and Gene
Greene's color guide, there are many photos of '20s and early '30s
wood reefers in the book Billboard Refrigerator Cars compiled by Ed
Kaminski and myself and published by Signature Press. We describe
and show cars from several different builders and owned by a variety
of operators, including many of the AC&F cars represented by the
Branchline models.

Richard Hendrickson

spsalso

Thanks, all, for giving me places to look for info. The billboard book sounds especially interesting.

Again, thank you,

Ed

Edward Sutorik