Lake Terminal 50 ft Gons, Lettering Scheme for a 1955 Reweigh Date

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

I'm starting on the F&C LT gons I picked up in Cocoa Beach after attending the clinic on the same subject, admiring the decals, and wondering about the lettering scheme. I've looked at what are probably the two standard photos; one is of LT 2099 in the lettering scheme like that shown in the F&C model photograph and consistent with the decals (looks like a builder's photo with a "NEW" date, probably from the 1930s), while the second is a Jim Sands late 1960s photo that has a simplified lettering scheme (no large "THE LAKE TERMINAL RAILROAD COMPANY" and no circular herald but with a diamond-shaped herald at the B end of the car. (I've always liked this photo with the brakeman sitting on the coupler cut lever...)

I'd like to use the "LT 55" reweigh lettering to represent the car in late 1957. Can anyone provide any guidance on which lettering scheme would be appropriate?

Thanks,

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 18, 2012, at 9:18 AM, Charles Hostetler wrote:

[...]

Charles, the prototype cars were built in 1937 and when repainted
lost the "billboard" lettering in favor of a simpler scheme. It's
highly unlikely that any of them would have survived as late as 1957
with original paint and lettering (and if they had, it would have
been largely unreadable under the dirt anyway), so you need to follow
the simplified version.

Richard Hendrickson

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

It's highly unlikely that any of them would have survived as late as 1957
with original paint and lettering (and if they had, it would have
been largely unreadable under the dirt anyway), so you need to follow
the simplified version.
Thank you Richard. I thought this might be another case of basic black and simplified lettering for the late 1950s. I'll see whether Jerry Glow is interested in making a "mini decal kit" to supplement the F&C supplied decals for us late 1950s modelers.

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN