Topics

Panel Side Hoppers

golden1014

Hi Guys,

I goofed up a recent online order and received an Intermountain panel-side HO hopper instead of the car I wanted.  The car is decorated for the Frisco with a shop date of 1955 (model 1950).  This is the Tichy car and it's a very nice model as you guys know.

I don't mind keeping it as a Frisco car, but I was curious what other roads had these cars.  I know P&LE did, and apparently NYC did as I've seen the black NYC car on the website.  I wouldn't mind repainting it to Wabash but I understand it is not correct for 'Bash cars.  Do you know if NYC painted these cars red to match their other hoppers?  I could use Jerry Glow's decal set to repaint it if so.  Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Charles Hladik

John,
C&O and D&H also had panel side hoppers. CASO site says that NYC were
red. But as built they were black and some may have stayed black. My O
scale one did.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 1/22/2012 3:15:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
golden1014@yahoo.com writes:

Hi Guys,

I goofed up a recent online order and received an Intermountain panel-side
HO hopper instead of the car I wanted. The car is decorated for the
Frisco with a shop date of 1955 (model 1950). This is the Tichy car and it's a
very nice model as you guys know.

I don't mind keeping it as a Frisco car, but I was curious what other
roads had these cars. I know P&LE did, and apparently NYC did as I've seen
the black NYC car on the website. I wouldn't mind repainting it to Wabash
but I understand it is not correct for 'Bash cars. Do you know if NYC
painted these cars red to match their other hoppers? I could use Jerry Glow's
decal set to repaint it if so. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

Rob Adams

John;

While not the most common type of Wabash' panel hoppers, the good news
is that they did roster some cars that were very similar dimensionally
and visually to the Tichy panel hopper. These were rebuilt from early
1920's USRA clones. Wabash series 34000-34999, of 1941 cu ft capacity,
still numbered 498 cars in January 1950 according to the ORER. A nice
late 30's photo of WAB 34279 is available from Keith Sirman. I'll send
you a scan off-list.

So... you can have that Wabash car!

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 1/22/12 2:15 PM, John Golden wrote:

[...]

Rick Jesionowski

Bruce Smith

On Jan 23, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Rick Jesionowski wrote:

The PRR had one! Class Glf #250000

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?photo=BuildersPhotos/GLf_E12863_PRR250000_side.jpg&fr=clGLF

Rick Jesionowski
Rich,

However, the basis of that conversion was NOT the USRA hopper, which is the basis of the Tichy kit, it was the GLa. Those interested in this singleton car can buy a laser cut Bowser GLa with resin side panels from Stan R. Likewise, the homebuilt panel sides on the Wabash do not match the USRA car, but again, Stan R has come to the rescue (while as previously noted - John can use the Tichy car for a minority panel side variant on the Wabash that was rebuilt from the USRA cars).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ \
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Clark Propst

Shame on you John for missing Stan's clinic at Lisle...Maybe you could get him to do it again at you RPM, or did he do it last year?

Clark Propst

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Rob Adams <steamera@...> wrote:

John;

While not the most common type of Wabash' panel hoppers, the good news
is that they did roster some cars that were very similar dimensionally
and visually to the Tichy panel hopper. These were rebuilt from early
1920's USRA clones. Wabash series 34000-34999, of 1941 cu ft capacity,
still numbered 498 cars in January 1950 according to the ORER. A nice
late 30's photo of WAB 34279 is available from Keith Sirman. I'll send
you a scan off-list.

So... you can have that Wabash car!

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
Apparently no one is concerned that the Tichy car only models one small batch of three prototype cars, and all the rest are stand-ins? For more discussion, go back to Message #93494 and work forward from there:

Dennis

Rich C

Dennis and all,

This brings up an interesting future kitbash. What combination of panels would be needed to create a CNW Panel Side Quad rebuild?

Thanks,
Rich Christie

________________________________
While not the most common type of Wabash' panel hoppers, the good news
is that they did roster some cars that were very similar dimensionally
and visually to the Tichy panel hopper. These were rebuilt from early
1920's USRA clones. Wabash series 34000-34999, of 1941 cu ft capacity,
still numbered 498 cars in January 1950 according to the ORER. A nice
late 30's photo of WAB 34279 is available from Keith Sirman. I'll send
you a scan off-list.

So... you can have that Wabash car!

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
Apparently no one is concerned that the Tichy car only models one small batch of three prototype cars, and all the rest are stand-ins? For more discussion, go back to Message #93494 and work forward from there:

Dennis

water.kresse@...

Karen Parker tackled the C&O twin 50-ton and triple 70-ton  in the companion modeling articles to along with the prototype article in th C&O Historical Magazine.

Al kresse

[...]

I have one Stan made me years ago. Recently he asked if I or any of my friends were interested in anymore. Seems he has a small stockpile of his 'core' model.
You might want to contact Stan if you're interested.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

[...]

I'll second what Clark said and note that Stan covered these in his clinic at Prototype Rails and IIRC, he had some C&NW Quad models with him there.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:23 PM, cepropst@q.com wrote:

[...]

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the heads-up, man. I've got the Wabash HS magazine with the hoppers article so I'll look though it for details. Stan has been telling me for years that Wabash panel cars were longer cars so I need to check it out.

My e-mail is Golden1014@yahoo.com if you have time to send that scan. Let me know what I can do for you in return.

John

[...]

Not so fast Dennis. I certainly am concerned with that detail, and I'd
wager many others on this list are also. John was asking for a
potential use for his Tichy car, not whether it was a perfect way to
model such a prototype. The Tichy cars have the well-known panel spacing
issue, but as you've described so well in your previous post, it
represent cars which were rebuilt with panels riveted to their original
side stakes. I again refer people to the nice photo of Wabash 34279
from the Sirman collection. That car does NOT have the integral
stakes. While your point in that previous post is well-taken, I'm not
convinced that your survey of cars is complete, since this would seem to
be one group of cars that wasn't accounted for in your three prototypes.

And since there seems to be some misconception about the Wabash panel
hoppers all being longer cars (i.e. 33' IL, not USRA dimensions), I
should emphasize that the Wabash 34000-34999 series were cars of 30'6"
inside length. Is the Tichy car a perfect replica? No, but it a very
good stand-in if the panel spacing doesn't bother you. A better
stand-in than the Accurail car? If the stake detail matters most, then
yes. Both avenues require compromises. Ultimately which is better is
up to the modeler.

I stand by my original recommendation to John. The Tichy car is a very
viable way to model the Wabash 34000 series cars which numbered just shy
of 500 in early 1950.

Respectfully,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 1/23/12 10:42 AM, soolinehistory wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Rob
Adams <steamera@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Stamm

When did this car actually come off the roster. I see it in 1948 but my
next reference is 1951 and it is gone by then.

Mark

On Jan 23, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Rick Jesionowski wrote:

The PRR had one! Class Glf #250000

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?photo=BuildersPhotos/GLf_E
12863_PRR250000_side.jpg
<http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?photo=BuildersPhotos/GLf_
E12863_PRR250000_side.jpg&fr=clGLF> &fr=clGLF

Rick Jesionowski
Rich,

However, the basis of that conversion was NOT the USRA hopper, which is the
basis of the Tichy kit, it was the GLa. Those interested in this singleton
car can buy a laser cut Bowser GLa with resin side panels from Stan R.
Likewise, the homebuilt panel sides on the Wabash do not match the USRA car,
but again, Stan R has come to the rescue (while as previously noted - John
can use the Tichy car for a minority panel side variant on the Wabash that
was rebuilt from the USRA cars).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Mark Stamm

Stan is listed as doing this clinic as the Valley Forge RPM.

Mark

On Jan 23, 2012, at 9:09 PM, Mark at Euphoriatt wrote:

When did this car actually come off the roster. I see it in 1948 but my
next reference is 1951 and it is gone by then.
Mark,

A brief history of the GLF

The rebuild was in 1935, the photo link provided
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?photo=BuildersPhotos/GLf_E12863_PRR250000_side.jpg
shows a reweigh of 4-41, and the car was taken off the roster in 1951 (not sure of its immediate disposition).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Rich C

Thanks Clark (aka The Door Man)

I will snail mail him.

Rich Christie

________________________________

[...]

You are correct, my survey was hardly complete, and my statement was made going from memory of older discussion on this list. I just pulled what info we still have on file (photos and books get returned after the lettering art is complete) although this is by no means a complete survey, either:

Sides that used original (or replacements of the original design) stakes:

NYC.... First three cars only according to the Central Headlight, which I no longer have on file.
C&O.... But lacking the short pressed panels in the last side panels over the slope sheets.
D&H
New Haven
Wabash... According to Rob Adams (My file photo is a Xerox and too dark to tell).

Sides with integral stakes:

Central Vermont
Canadian National
GTW
MP
NYC and subsidiaries
PRR.... One car built from a GLa, not an USRA car.
P&LE... Deeper panels in all locations except over slope sheets.
SL-SF.. Deeper panels in all locations except over slope sheets.

I raise this issue from time to time because most of the model press literature on these cars predates any awareness that there were different stake and panel styles.

Dennis

Rob Adams

Dennis;

I'm sending a scan of the photo to you directly. I believe you'll also
conclude that the Wabash car does fall into the first group. I agree
with you completely that the issue is important to raise, and the
discussion has undoubtedly improved many a modeler's understanding of
this significant detail.

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

At 12:39 PM 1/24/2012, Rob Adams wrote:
Dennis;

I'm sending a scan of the photo to you directly. I believe you'll also conclude that the Wabash car does fall into the first group. I agree with you completely that the issue is important to raise, and the discussion has undoubtedly improved many a modeler's understanding of this significant detail.

Regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
Yes, I agree with you, and I suppose this also extends to the small batch of cars the Ann Arbor received from parent Wabash. It's just amazing... just when you think you have something nailed down, more research shows that the supposed standard really has a wealth of minor variations; different stakes, different panel depths, and the standard product applied to non-standard cars. I find it a little odd that the literature on these cars just stops with the John Nerich article in the January, 1990 issue of Mainline Modeler... that twenty two years ago now. Maybe it doesn't stop and I just haven't noticed.

Thanks for the photo.

Dennis Storzek