GS Gons

Bill Welch

I was looking for the photo in the Otto Perry Collection of the
Century beer reefer (BREX reefer) when I found this photo of two
D&RGW GS type gons. Pretty nice:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/
p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/186

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I was looking for the photo in the Otto Perry Collection of the
Century beer reefer (BREX reefer) when I found this photo of two
D&RGW GS type gons. Pretty nice:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/
p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/186

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

They sure don't like people posting links, do they? " The collection "
p15330coll22" cannot be displayed. Log in and refresh the page to access
restricted or unpublished collections."

Thanks!
--

Brian P. Ehni

From: Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:55:52 -0400
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] GS Gons

I was looking for the photo in the Otto Perry Collection of the
Century beer reefer (BREX reefer) when I found this photo of two
D&RGW GS type gons. Pretty nice:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/
p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/186

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bill Welch wrote:
Here's another one!

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/364
This is the car which W&R modeled in HO brass (series 70000-70699).

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

Bill Welch wrote:
Here's another one!

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/364
This is the car which W&R modeled in HO brass (series 70000-70699).

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN11007

Bill Welch

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Yet another one

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN16016

Bill Welch wrote:
Here's another one!

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/364
This is the car which W&R modeled in HO brass (series 70000-70699).

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@
Publishers of books on railroad history

Rupert & Maureen <gamlenz@...>

Bill

Did you find the Century Beer / BREX reefer?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

I was looking for the photo in the Otto Perry Collection of the Century beer reefer (BREX reefer) when I found this photo of two D&RGW GS type gons. Pretty nice:
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/ p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/186
Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930
fgexbill@...

Andy Harman

At 03:55 PM 3/16/2012 -0400, you wrote:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/
p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/186
Five guys hand shoveling a gondola load... in 1952. Cool.

Andy

Andy Harman

At 08:01 PM 3/16/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here's another one!

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/364
What kind of trucks are those? Outside hung brakes - not familiar to me at all!

Andy

Andy Harman

At 03:06 PM 3/16/2012 -0500, you wrote:
They sure don't like people posting links, do they? " The collection "
p15330coll22" cannot be displayed. Log in and refresh the page to access
restricted or unpublished collections."
They don't like split links... some sites if you post half the link, you get an error but it leaves the half-link in the url bar so you can paste the rest in. This one you have to open the browser first, past both pieces in and if there is a space between, remove it.... but it's worth the trouble :-)

Andy

Andy Harman

At 12:19 AM 3/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN11007
No locomotive in sight... car just sitting there halfway up the ramp. Probably was a posed shot.

Andy

Rufus Cone

Cars were pulled up to the top of the coal dock with a steel cable.

Rufus Cone
Bozeman MT

On 3/16/2012 10:37 PM, Andy Harman wrote:

At 12:19 AM 3/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN11007
No locomotive in sight... car just sitting there halfway up the
ramp. Probably was a posed shot.

Andy

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Andy Harman wrote:

At 12:19 AM 3/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?
objno=RVN11007

No locomotive in sight... car just sitting there halfway up the
ramp. Probably was a posed shot.
No locomotive necessary, Andy - and no locomotive could ever have
climbed that grade in any case. Cars were towed to the top of the
coal dock with a cable (not visible in the photo) operated by a small
stationary stem engine.

Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Andy Harman wrote:

At 08:01 PM 3/16/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here's another one!

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/
p15330coll22/id/81310/rec/364

What kind of trucks are those? Outside hung brakes - not familiar
to me at
all!
That's a conventional 70 ton AAR cast steel truck with a spring
plank. What makes it look unconventional are the horns on the side
frames outboard of the journal boxes for the clasp brakes. Probably
made either by Gould or Buckeye.

Richard Hendrickson

tmolsen@...

Richard,

I would say that they were an early version of a Buckeye 70-Ton truck. I used to see an updated version of this type of truck beneath Bessemer & Lake Erie triple hoppers when I worked as a PRR operator at Stadium Tower in Greenwich Yard in South Philadelphia in 1967-1968. Greenwich was a destination for coal trains of export coal at the time and a good third of the loaded hoppers were B&LE triples with the later version of the Buckeye truck. Indeed, the horns were the support for the brake beams and outside clasp brakes.

Best regards,
Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Joel Holmes <lehighvalley@...>

Hi Andy,

That is a very steep incline for a railway car. Could they have pulled
the car up with a cable. I cannot see any cable in the photo, but it is
possible.

Joel Holmes

At 12:19 AM 3/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN11007
No locomotive in sight... car just sitting there halfway up the
ramp. Probably was a posed shot.

Andy

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

I saw the link was split and copied and pasted the whole thing when I got
the error. Tried three more times and gave up. Today, the same process
worked fine.

Go figure.

--
Thanks!

Brian Paul Ehni

From: Andy Harman <gsgondola@...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:35:58 -0400
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] GS Gons

At 03:06 PM 3/16/2012 -0500, you wrote:
They sure don't like people posting links, do they? " The collection "
p15330coll22" cannot be displayed. Log in and refresh the page to access
restricted or unpublished collections."
They don't like split links... some sites if you post half the link, you
get an error but it leaves the half-link in the url bar so you can paste
the rest in. This one you have to open the browser first, past both pieces
in and if there is a space between, remove it.... but it's worth the
trouble :-)

Andy

Brian Paul Ehni <behni@...>

More likely it was being winched up.

--
Thanks!

Brian Paul Ehni

From: Andy Harman <gsgondola@...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:37:44 -0400
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: GS Gons

At 12:19 AM 3/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:
Here is an NP GS gon--really neat

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN11007
No locomotive in sight... car just sitting there halfway up the
ramp. Probably was a posed shot.

Andy

brianleppert@att.net

Rio Grande's GS gondolas were covered in the vol.1, #2 issue of The Prospector. That's the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society's magazine. In there it is stated that these were Vulcan cast steel trucks. Vulcan was a American Steel Foundries design.

For a good magazine article on GS gons, see Richard Hendrickson's article in the March 2000 Railmodel Journal. Eight pages with 28 prototype photos.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV