From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of vasa0vasa@...
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 6:15 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [STMFC] Flatcar Load for You PRR and Wide Gauge Connoissuers

For all you connoissuers of PRR flatcars and wide gauge equipment, here are pictures from a posting on the Northern Pacific yahoo group showing Nixon pictures from Missoula, MT on October 25, 1943. It appears the routing did not use the Bruceton detour for PRR equipement, though the flatcars may have been supplied as empties from there.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock
vasa0vasa@... <mailto:vasa0vasa%40earthlink.net>

"USSR 24-25 Baldwin Builder # 69932-69933 for export to Russia, passing through Missoula on a revenue freight train."
Date: October 25, 1943
Location: Missoula, MT

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN07753

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN07746

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN07752

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN07749

http://muse.museum.montana.edu/rvndb/rvnjpeg_img_rec.php?objno=RVN07747

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Bruce Smith

Elden asks
Did these guys come out of Eddystone? If so, it would not be a surprise they chose F30A's.
Those flats were a much better choice than any of the riveted flats, and you often see photos of them overloaded. I suspect the choice was deliberate, as both flats are F30A's.
Elden,

Yes, the locos pictured were Baldwin built S160s. Other S160 builders were ALCo and Lima.

Remember that flat cars, especially during WWII acted as a national pool, However, there would likely have been a higher number available on the home road (PRR) so that helps. Note too that an advantage of the cast frame F30a was reduced light weight, making them capable of taking greater loads. By comparison, the AAR 70 ton flat had a lt wt just under 60,000 lbs leaving only a bit over 150,000 lbs for the load limit, close to a 10,000 lbs difference with the F30A.

That said, other classes of 70 ton flats were used. I have a photo of class Sha (that's the cyrillic letter in front of the number) 93 on a riveted NYC flat. Guess where Sha 93 was built? If you guessed Schenectady, you got it right!

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

devansprr

Elden,

I can't remember where I just read this, but a significant amount of US to Russia "lend-lease" was shipped out of Oregon ports on Russian flagged merchant ships - remember that Japan and Russia were not at war until the very end of WWII. The material could not be armaments or munitions, but trains and food were ok. 50% of US to Russia "Lend-lease" flowed through the pacific route.

The Russian ships went to Vladivostok, and material would traverse the trans-siberian railway to get to western Russia.

Wonder how long it would be until those F30's saw PRR rails again...

Dave Evans

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden SAW" <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Gary;

Super pick up!

Why were they going to a west coast routing? Was Murmansk too dangerous? What port on the east coast of USSR was open?

Did these guys come out of Eddystone? If so, it would not be a surprise they chose F30A's. Those flats were a much better choice than any of the riveted flats, and you often see photos of them overloaded. I suspect the choice was deliberate, as both flats are F30A's.

Elden Gatwood

Date: October 25, 1943
Location: Missoula, MT