Topics

National Perishable Freight Committee's "Icing Stations" publication

Bill Welch

I recently discovered that by September 1936 the National Perishable
Freight Committee was publishing a booklet entitled Icing Stations.
As recently as 1929, this list had appeared with a slightly different
title and it also may have been published by another organization.

With this new information, I am now searching for later publication
dates of this document as I try to document as fully as I can the
Icing Stations operated by the companies that owned and/or contracted
with the FGE/WFE/BRE System. Just based on the 1929 and 1936
publications it is evident that these facilities were subject to
change, with new locations coming into operation and others being
shut down. A case-in-point was the important icing facility at Hayne
Yard on the Southern in Spartanburg, SC which did not exist in 1929.
Eventually the Spartanburg region became a large peach growing area,
requiring the railroad to develop a very large initial Icing Facility
there. I will be contacting the CSRM and other institutions but I
wanted to see if anyone on this list might have copies of this NPFC
publication they would allow me to access. "WorldCat" does not reveal
this publication at any of the many libraries that are a part of its
huge database.

As a reminder I am still trying to find examples of Perishable
Tariffs published by the Southern Freight Tariff Bureau in Atlanta, Ga.

Thank you for your attention!

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622