A C&BT Shops Fe-26 lives...finally

Mikebrock

Having a C&BT Shops ATSF Fe-26 for quite a few yrs in its original box, I decided that, given the acceptable body of the kit...sans the over scale parts including the running board...I would simply use parts from other kits and/or parts such as Kadee running board, A line steps, ladders from unknown sources, grabs from various manufacturers, brake system parts from Tichy, etc. etc. etc. To cap it off I added Archer rivets...particularly to the side sills. I even used Accurail trucks and code 88 wheels. It appears that I may have followed the example of quite a few rr's during the 30's/40's by claiming that a car or engine was repaired or modified when actually it contained very little of the original. Saved them taxes apparently. Anyhow, this project should have been easy...right? Wrong. The holes didn't line up correctly for the replacing parts and, of course, there was the problem of attaching plastic to non plastic. I had to fill quite a few holes. Then there was the cost of my therapist to consider... Any idea how many used parts from other kits I examined? Anyhow, regardless, I managed to complete the project...thank goodness for weathering...although I just realized I have applied no chalk marks. I assume that there should at least be a question mark somewhere indicating that someone was curious as to why this car was sent to Buford, WY.

Nevertheless, I have loaded 4 photos of the car into the album ATSF Fe-26 in the photo section. Oh...if you can come up with the number of Archer rivets on the car, you get a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Mike Brock

Pierre <pierre.oliver@...>

Mike,
Nice looking car after all.
But how does it stay on that killer grade? :-)
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

Ah, Mike? You ARE going to paint and weather the trucks and wheels, right?

Nice model, tho.

Schuyler

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mike Brock"
<brockm@...> wrote:

[...]

Pierre Oliver says:

"But how does it stay on that killer grade? :-)"

Well...if you saw all the gunk on those wheels you probably wouldn't ask that question.

Mike

Mikebrock

Schuyler Larrabee asks:

"Ah, Mike? You ARE going to paint and weather the trucks and wheels, right?

Well...the wheels ARE painted...although I have to admit that the backs of the wheels have not been painted...sigh. The trucks have been weathered but I'll probably add some Rail Tie Brown to them.

Mike Brock...wonder where the chalk is?

jerryglow2

Did you notice how fast those photos were approved for listing? <g>

Jerry Glow

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:
Someone was curious as to why this
car was sent to Buford, WY.

Hey Mike -

I'm curious about whether it was sent TO Buford or THROUGH Buford?

Regards,

Charles Hostetler

Mikebrock

Jerry Glow...showing unusual awareness...writes:

"Did you notice how fast those photos were approved for listing? <g>"

Actually I was planning to recuse myself and shout at Aley to approve my photos. Sadly...and amazingly...Yahoogroups software apparently checks to see if photos are being uploaded by the Supremo and automatically approves them. Oh well...The only other perk I get is the right to park my car in the Hilton parking lot during Prototype Rails...

Mike Brock

Mikebrock

Charles Hostetler asks:

"I'm curious about whether it was sent TO Buford or THROUGH Buford?"

Well...the only way to really know would be to ask the agent stationed there...Bruce Smith is his name I think. Could be that the car contained furniture [ more likely supllies for making beer ] for the new station being built at Bruceford...or perhaps a new car for Smith so he can get down to Cheyenne every now and then. Only one passenger train [ The Pony Express? ] stops at Buford and it has to be flagged. Not sure how it would look for the agent to flag a train, then get on board....

Mike Brock

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Mike,

All photos will be posted automatically unless you choose to have them
moderator approved.

Go to Management > Web Tools > Edit > then under Photos check the moderator
approval box.

John Hagen

Jerry Glow...showing unusual awareness...writes:

"Did you notice how fast those photos were approved for listing? <g>"

Actually I was planning to recuse myself and shout at Aley to approve my
photos. Sadly...and amazingly...Yahoogroups software apparently checks to
see if photos are being uploaded by the Supremo and automatically approves
them. Oh well...The only other perk I get is the right to park my car in the

Hilton parking lot during Prototype Rails...

Mike Brock

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

I assume that there should at least be a
question mark somewhere indicating that someone was curious as to why this
car was sent to Buford, WY.

Oh...if you can come up with the number of Archer rivets
on the car, you get a Get Out of Jail Free card.

I hope I don't ever have to use a "get out of jail free" card, but my guess is 110 per side, for a total of 220. Close?

As to the question mark, I sorted through my "archives" and found the original waybill commemorating the event - it was really in Buford to drop off a Harley for the station agent:

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/2012/07/atsf-64200-64699.html

Actually, I'm trying to learn about the "Stop this Car" portion of a waybill, and I was wondering if anyone might comment on whether this feature was commonly used or if it was more of an oddball/oddity/special case. I'm trying to decide whether to incorporate that section in my model waybill form, but unless it was a real staple of prototype operations I think I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Thanks and Regards,

Charles Hostetler

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charles Hostetler wrote:
Actually, I'm trying to learn about the "Stop this Car" portion of a waybill, and I was wondering if anyone might comment on whether this feature was commonly used or if it was more of an oddball/oddity/special case. I'm trying to decide whether to incorporate that section in my model waybill form, but unless it was a real staple of prototype operations I think I'd prefer to keep it simple.
My understanding is that it was not common, but certainly was used. I have included it in the waybills I designed for Otis McGee's layout, and examples are shown in several of my blog posts. Here's one:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2011/08/waybills-11.html

although the waybills shown on the post don't have the "Stop At" sections in use. We do have a few (less than a dozen) waybills which use the "Stop At" in action on Otis's layout, out of a couple hundred waybills, so there aren't TOO many of them. In fact, that creates a problem sometimes, because crews forget to consult that part of the bill when switching.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Mikebrock

Charles Hostetler writes in response to my:

Oh...if you can come up with the number of Archer rivets
on the car, you get a Get Out of Jail Free card.
I hope I don't ever have to use a "get out of jail free" card, but my guess is 110 per side, for a total of 220. Close?

Damn close. In fact, you now have a Get out of jail free card.

"As to the question mark, I sorted through my "archives" and found the original waybill commemorating the event - it was really in Buford to drop off a Harley for the station agent:

http://cnwmodeling.blogspot.com/2012/07/atsf-64200-64699.html

Too bad. I had rather hoped that the car might have contained supplies for making beer...quite appropriate for the agent there...

Mike Brock