Sunshine kit #91.2 RI XM-1 Boxcar

tmolsen@...

Gary,

You may want to take a look at the Freight Car Department portion of the Illinois Railway Museum website as there is a restored Single Sheathed 50' Double Door Auto Car with the black doors, black ends and mineral red sides. Here is a link that works to bring the photo up:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg&bydate%3A2

I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the Sunshine RI XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps Tony Thompson or Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.

Regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Olsen wrote:
I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the Sunshine RI XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps Tony Thompson or Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.
Tom, I'm not sure what you're asking to have confirmed, but my knowledge of Rock Island paint colors is nil. I would think there is a decent shot that the Illinois Railway Museum has gotten it right.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <tmolsen@...> wrote:

Gary,

You may want to take a look at the Freight Car Department portion of the Illinois Railway Museum website as there is a restored Single Sheathed 50' Double Door Auto Car with the black doors, black ends and mineral red sides. Here is a link that works to bring the photo up:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg&bydate%3A2

I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the Sunshine RI XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps Tony Thompson or Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.

What a truly beautiful restoration!!! This goes right along with the equally well done Rutland and B&M 40 ft. double and single sheated, respectively, restoration at the Strasburg RR. in Pennsylvania. Nice to see such cars.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Rich C

I can't agree more! I am surprised that no one has made this 9 panel Howe Truss car. There was a kitbash article way back in 1980 Winter Model Railroading magazine at Trainlife.

The only way at the moment for a kitbash is a couple of Accurail #7100 kits and a pair of Central Valley radial roofs for starters. Sylvan makes the auto car door end, the 3/3 Dreadnaught?

Rich Christie

________________________________
You may want to take a look at the Freight Car Department portion of the Illinois Railway Museum website as there is a restored Single Sheathed 50' Double Door Auto Car with the black doors, black ends and mineral red sides. Here is a link that works to bring the photo up:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg&bydate%3A2

I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the Sunshine RI XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps Tony Thompson or Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.
What a truly beautiful restoration!!! This goes right along with the equally well done Rutland and B&M 40 ft. double and single sheated, respectively, restoration at the Strasburg RR. in Pennsylvania. Nice to see such cars.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Rob Adams

Rich;

Actually. A kit does exist for this car in HO. See the Rocket Express
web site.

<http://rocketexpress.biz/rocket_express_008.htm>

Kind regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 7/22/12 1:30 PM, Rich C wrote:

[...]

Rob, I totally forgot about their 50'ers. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rich Christie

________________________________

You may want to take a look at the Freight Car Department portion of
the Illinois Railway Museum website as there is a restored Single
Sheathed 50' Double Door Auto Car with the black doors, black ends and
mineral red sides. Here is a link that works to bring the photo up:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg&bydate%3A2

I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the
Sunshine RI XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps
Tony Thompson or Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.

What a truly beautiful restoration!!! This goes right along with the
equally well done Rutland and B&M 40 ft. double and single sheated,
respectively, restoration at the Strasburg RR. in Pennsylvania. Nice
to see such cars.

Cordially, Don Valentine

WILLIAM PARDIE

The referenced Ilinois RAilroad Museum site has some great p;ictures of this car.
I have done this car without the end doors. My car was initailly painted boxcar red
with a black roof and red roof walk. I have also seen this car done in solid boxcar
red. I would like to repaintg the car with black ends and doors. I wonder, however,
if this scheem was reserved for cars with end doors.

Help please:

Bill Pardie

On Jul 22, 2012, at 8:30 AM, Rich C wrote:

[...]

Steve and Barb Hile

While I agree that the builder's photos show black doors on this series of
cars, I can't recall any in service photos of RI single sheathed boxcars
(and I have a bunch!) showing doors in a different color. Nor does any
paint spec call for them to be painted black. So, for an in-service boxcar,
I would lean strongly towards painting the doors the same color as the
sides. The specs refer to "standard freight car color" but without defining
a specific brand or color chip. I like a medium tuscan boxcar red and use a
50:50 mix of Modelflex Light and Dark Tuscan Oxide reds.

Regards,

Steve Hile

_____

You may want to take a look at the Freight Car Department portion of the
Illinois Railway Museum website as there is a restored Single Sheathed 50'
Double Door Auto Car with the black doors, black ends and mineral red sides.
Here is a link that works to bring the photo up:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg
<http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004112914261610771.jpg&bydate%3A
2> &bydate%3A2

I should think that the paint would be the same as that of the Sunshine RI
XM-1 kit. This appears to be a fresh mineral red. Perhaps Tony Thompson or
Richard Hendrickson could confirm this.

Regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu <mailto:tmolsen%40udel.edu>

railsnw@frontier.com <railsnw@...>

Would that be black paint or black car cement? I would think the car cement would be a dull black.

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve and Barb Hile" <shile@...> wrote:

[...]

tmolsen@... <mailto:tmolsen%40udel.edu>

Scott Pitzer

I vote for the black door being "a nice touch for the photo" not representative of reality-- like the picture of me at age three, wearing a straw "Chinese coolie hat."
C&O, for example, seemed to have had more black boxcar doors in builders photos, than in real life.
Scott Pitzer