From: Marty McGuirk
To: STMFC ; CV RR
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 11:00 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Central Vermont hopper cars

To those who might be interested, there's an excellent, detailed article on the Central Vermont's 30000/20000-series twin hoppers in the latest issue of the Central Vermont Railway Historical Society Ambassador. Although the CV's boxcars are fairly well-documented, the hopper cars, some of which went through 3 or 4 rebuildings over the years, have not been covered as well in print. Well worth reading.

Also included are some roster shots dating from 1963 or so of a number of pieces of CV and StJ&LC M-of-W equipment from George Melvin.

Marty McGuirk

Marty McGuirk

Hi Armand,

I'd say "pretty close" but I don't have the exact measurements in front of me to confirm that.

I do know the GLa is a better starting point (it's what I use for mine - see MRH ISsue #1) for one of these than the USRA twins that most people use. The USRA cars are obviously too large.

I neglected to mention the author (Steve Horsley)in my earlier post.

Thanks Steve, for your efforts on this piece.

Marty

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Armand Premo" <armprem2@...> wrote:

How close are they dimensionally speaking to the Pennsy's GLas?Armand Premo