3-dome tank car

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

I created a photo album entitled "3-dome tank car" into which will appear some photos of an HO scale tank car I bought on eBay once said photos are approved by our moderator. Does anyone know the model manufacturer?

Once I know who made it I shall refer to Richard Hendrickson's article "Tanks for the Memories" in Learning from the Prototype book from the 1990 NMRA convention in Pittsburgh. Then I'll know how disappointed I should feel.

Here are some features of the model:

- 3-dome HO tank car
- lettered SHPX 122 built 7-41
- all metal except talgo trucks
- AB brakes
- tiny rivet impressions indicate location of internal bulkheads
- running boards riveted to bolsters and cross-bearers
- flange between tank & dome separate part
- tank diameter about 7'-6"
- tank length over ends about 39'-3"
- length over strikers about 42'
- width over running boards about 9'-8"
- original coupler mounting pads may have been cut off
- all plastic talgo trucks appear much newer than model

By my calculations the volume of the tank, not deducting anything for the empty space between internal bulkheads, would be almost 7000 gallons. Math is NOT my strong suit so if someone checks and corrects my math I shan't be insulted.
Gene Green

Charlie Vlk

Speaking of 3-compartment tank cars, Bachmann just announced what appears to
be an newly tooled 8000 gal car in N Scale. The photos of the model are not
clear enough to nail down potential prototypes, but it certainly is a
welcome replacement to the existing early attempts modeled after the Athearn
car.

Charlie Vlk

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

My hopes for a neat little 3-compartment tank car have been dashed on the rocks of reality.

My thanks to Ed Hawkins who responded off-list with encouraging information and Richard Hendrickson who responded off-list with discouraging information.

The model may be from Globe (pre-Athearn).

SHPX 122 is apparently correct for a multi-compartment car of 6000 gallon capacity but number of prototype compartments is unknown. Date built of 7-41 is too recent. Should be something in 1935 or 1936 roughly. Underframe could possibly be redetailed as a GATC-built tank car. Tank itself is about 10 feet too long and diameter is a little too great but maybe close enough if one doesn't look too closely.

Ah, well, I have an interesting relic of our modeling past. I have removed the 3-dome tank car album.

Gene Green

Tim O'Connor

Why remove it? Information always has some value, and bad models need to be documented too. :-)

Tim O'Connor

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gene Green wrote:
The model may be from Globe (pre-Athearn).
I would doubt this. I have an Athearn metal tank with three domes, and MANY aspects of the construction are quite different from the car in Gene's photos. Does anyone know of a print or on-line source of information about Athearn's metal cars other than house cars?

Publishers of books on railroad history

john.allyn@...

Try HO Seekers.  Here is a link to their Athearn page.

http://hoseeker.net/athearnmicellaneous.html

Look under 1950's kit instructions.  Information on Globe tankers (an other likely suspect) is a little sparse

John B. Allyn

The model may be from Globe (pre-Athearn).
I would doubt this. I have an Athearn metal tank with three domes, and MANY aspects of the construction are quite different from the car in Gene's photos. Does anyone know of a print or on-line source of information about Athearn's metal cars other than house cars?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Townsend

I didn't get a chance to look at the photos, but Gem imported brass 3-dome tank cars that resemble the Athearn plastic 3-dome tank car, al least as to size. So it is possible that the car is a Gem model. They appear from time to time on eBay. You can see an example here: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/gem-models-brass-dome-tank-car-ho-133936844

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Try hoseeker.net

They have many instructions/diagrams from most of HO manufactures of yore.

Here is a link to the 1950 Athearn three dome car.

http://www.hoseeker.net/athearninstructionscars1950/Athearn3dometankcar1950.
jpg

They also show a 1957 version.

John Hagen

The model may be from Globe (pre-Athearn).
I would doubt this. I have an Athearn metal tank with three domes, and MANY
aspects of the construction are quite different from the car in Gene's
photos. Does anyone know of a print or on-line source of information about
Athearn's metal cars other than house cars?

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

The model may be from Globe (pre-Athearn).
The 1950 instructions for the Athearn metal 3-dome car look a great deal like Gene's model. The one I have, identified by the seller as Athearn, is definitely different and might be an early Mantua. Here's the Athearn kit instructions:

http://www.hoseeker.net/athearninstructionscars1950/Athearn3dometankcar1950.jpg

Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Is Jay Barger listening?