Resin casting, Southern caboose

Scott H. Haycock

Hello group,
A source was brought to my attention in another group, of more information about the bay window caboose project I'm working on. It is a 1969 Sou. Rwy equipment diagram book found here: http://southernmodeler.info/SRrollingstock/SR_FRT_CAR_DGMS_1969.pdf .
On page 282, you will find diagram 31-F-91, dated Jan.5, 1954. I could use some help interpreting this diagram.
The previous diagram on page 281 is the as built diagram for the round roof cars. This page shows a diagram for the later, diagonal roof equipped design, but also lists the no. series of the round roof cars- X2882-X2932. I'm wondering if this diagram indicates when the radio, batteries, and wheel generators were installed?
Also, I'm looking for information on these wheel generators. Maybe they are in a Car Cyc. of this-1954- era.
Thank you,
Scott haycock

Scott H. Haycock

Group
Can anyone I.D. the trucks on this caboose: http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/779/50901/december-1978-page-37 ? Also I'm still in need of info on the belt-driven wheel generators used by the Southern from the 1950s until thy were replaced by solar panels in, I believe, the 1980s.
Thanks
Scott Haycock

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Look sorta like an Andrews without the strut on the bottom of the journal
boxes.

John Hagen

Can anyone I.D. the trucks on this caboose:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/779/50901/december-1978-page-37 ?
Also I'm still in need of info on the belt-driven wheel generators used by
the Southern from the 1950s until thy were replaced by solar panels in, I
believe, the 1980s.
Thanks
Scott Haycock

Scott H. Haycock

Brain cramp!
I just re-discovered our very own Richard Hendrickson's article on trucks in the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 4. Having perused the pertinent parts(Richard, I promise I'll read the whole article later), and also considering the information on truck design bans in the other current thread about brakes and truss rods, etc., these may be ARA/AAR U section trucks.
They would still be allowed at this late date because this is a caboose- not a freight car. Interchange restrictions wouldn't apply.
Scott

--- In STMFC@..., "haycockscott" <shhaycock@...> wrote:

Can anyone I.D. the trucks on this caboose: http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/779/50901/december-1978-page-37 ?
Thanks
Scott Haycock

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 16, 2012, at 2:18 AM, haycockscott wrote:
Brain cramp!
I just re-discovered our very own Richard Hendrickson's article on
trucks in the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 4. Having perused
the pertinent parts(Richard, I promise I'll read the whole article
later), and also considering the information on truck design bans
in the other current thread about brakes and truss rods, etc.,
these may be ARA/AAR U section trucks.
They would still be allowed at this late date because this is a
caboose- not a freight car.
Scott, I didn't respond to your request because the photos are so
unclear that it's not possible to say definitively what those trucks
are. In addition, it's possible - even likely - that those were not
the original trucks on that car. They do appear to have ARA/AAR cast
steel side frames with integral journal boxes, but I can't tell
whether they had spring planks or were self-aligning spring-
plankless, nor can I tell whether or not they were double truss
(i.e., box section lower chords with shallow ribs extending into the
spring seats). In any event, there were never any restrictions on
trucks of that type as long as plain journals continued in service,
which extends well beyond the time limits of this list.

Richard Hendrickson

Scott H. Haycock

Richard, I found another Photo of this same car-much better resolution (attached). As photos are turning up, it seems several truck designs may have been used on these Southern-built cabooses-possibly a situation of them using what they had on hand. These cabs.were the first steel cabs on the Southern and were built 1941-42; X2882 through X2932- 50 cabs , well within the scope of this group.
Scott