CNJ boxcar question - this time with the link!

Steven D Johnson

Oops - forgot the link! The photo is about halfway down or so.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/166273.aspx

Is this CNJ boxcar model modified from the old AHM/American Train & Track HO
car? I have a few of those from way back, and they all have separate
running boards and ladders. I never knew if there was a prototype from
them. Can anyone direct me to modeling articles which deal with upgrading
those old cars, with information and photos on the correct prototypes?

Thanks for any help.

Steve Johnson

Benjamin Hom

Steve Johnson wrote:
"Oops - forgot the link! The photo is about halfway down or so.
http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/166273.aspx

Is this CNJ boxcar model modified from the old AHM/American Train & Track HO
car? I have a few of those from way back, and they all have separate
running boards and ladders. I never knew if there was a prototype from
them. Can anyone direct me to modeling articles which deal with upgrading
those old cars, with information and photos on the correct prototypes?"

No articles, and you'd be wasting your time as this model is so badly executed
that it doesn't represent its closest prototypes.  The sides are closest to the
1924 PRR Class X29 - the detail is a bit heavy but it captures the rivet pattern
and the doorstop actually isn't bad.  Unfortunately, the roof and ends are a
disaster - the roof is way too chunky to accurately model a rectangular panel
steel roof, and the ends are poorly executed.  The car has generic
AHM underframe which is incorrect for any close prototype for these cars (LNE is
the only one I can think of, but the roof and ends are so awful!)

I've been looking for a creative use for this model - the thoughts I have run
something along the lines of cutting away the sides for an X29-type kitbash, but
with better models available (including the Train-Miniature/Walthers model),
this is not a project on my front burner.

Ben Hom

rwitt_2000

Steven,

Ben has addressed some of the problems, but with the introduction of the
Red Caboose and resin models it seems to be a waste of time to try to
fix these old models.

The ends are just awful not representing any prototype and the roof
features are too heavy so it also represents nothing; a
Chicago-Cleveland maybe.

The major problems with the model are the car body is too wide and the
side sills are proud of the side sheathing rather than being recessed
behind the side sheets. The old Train-Miniature "X29" box car has the
same error. if I recall correctly the car is taller than the ARA/X29
prototype and models an interior height closer to the PRR X28 and B&O
M-27 the automobile version of the ARA/X29 box car.

The car body is too wide because it was designed to fit, as Ben terms
it, the "generic" AHM/Parkway/ATT underframe, which was a poor
representation of the ubiquitous PS-1 underframe used on many old models
of box cars. Even trying to reuse the sides as Ben suggests still does
not eliminate the problem with the side sills.

I finally decided these models may serve as a basis to model something
like the UP double door express box cars, but after accurate resin
models became available even that prospect became remote.

Regards,

Bob Witt

P.S. I did convert one into a free-lance spent malt car with roof
hatches painted white with red lettering for the "Star Brewery"
reporting marks "SBX". So you can do something with it and enjoy.

Steven D Johnson wrote:

Oops - forgot the link! The photo is about halfway down or so.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/166273.aspx

Is this CNJ boxcar model modified from the old AHM/American Train &
Track HO
car? I have a few of those from way back, and they all have separate
running boards and ladders. I never knew if there was a prototype
from
them. Can anyone direct me to modeling articles which deal with
upgrading
those old cars, with information and photos on the correct prototypes?

Scott Pitzer

If someone would invite the original poster in that thread to bring his steam-era freight car painting and lettering questions to this group, he wouldn't be disturbing that forum with his interest in "trivia."
Scott Pitzer (but one or two questions per thread, please!)
RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 3 New Photos 12 New Files 1
Visit Your Group
.

Armand Premo

Speaking of CNJ boxcars,does any one know of any current offering for this,or CRP cars ?Armand Premo

If someone would invite the original poster in that thread to bring his steam-era freight car painting and lettering questions to this group, he wouldn't be disturbing that forum with his interest in "trivia."
Scott Pitzer (but one or two questions per thread, please!)
> RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 3 New Photos 12 New Files 1
> Visit Your Group
> .

Steven D Johnson

Thanks, Bob and Ben, for your comments. I want to keep these cars and
upgrade them, like that CNJ model in the photo. The concept of taking old
AHM, etc. cars (as with the helium car that was discussed recently) and
upgrading them is appealing to me. In this case, I think I'll just use a
freelance road name on them.

Steve Johnson

Steven D Johnson wrote:

Oops - forgot the link! The photo is about halfway down or so.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/166273.aspx

Is this CNJ boxcar model modified from the old AHM/American Train &
Track HO
car? I have a few of those from way back, and they all have separate
running boards and ladders. I never knew if there was a prototype
from
them. Can anyone direct me to modeling articles which deal with
upgrading
those old cars, with information and photos on the correct prototypes?

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Armand Premo" <armprem2@...> wrote:
Speaking of CNJ boxcars,does any one know of any current offering for this,or CRP cars ?Armand Premo
CNJ had single sheathed cars similar to the Accurail single sheathed box cars with 6 diagonals (photo in the NMRA book), USRA single sheathed box cars and X29 sized steel box cars with flat ends and Hutchens roofs (photo also in the NMRA book). Vic Roseman made a model of these later cars by combining a Red Caboose body with an Accurail roof. Plans and builders photos for these cars appear in at least one CBC and in a Trainshed reprint.

Years ago I built a model of these small steel box cars using a Train miniature body and doors and Walthers soft metal cast roof ribs.
The Walthers decal with curved "Central Railroad of New Jersey" was very nice (Westerfield's decal for the USRA box car is even better).

I think Sunshine has kits for a taller, X28 sized door and a half, flat ended box car and a steel box car with early inproved drednaught ends (maybe with CRP decals).

Ed Mines

rwitt_2000

Steve,

If you are going to use them, another change I made was to build new
underframes to look more like the ARA ones. With the new UF, I shorten
the truck bolster to end sill distance from the usual 5'-6" to 5'-0"
that was common for the early ARA/X29 box cars and I lowered the car
body as it rode too high to allow clearance for the original talgo
trucks.

To my eye the CNJ box car in the link "rides" too high. Match the
distance from the bottom of the side sill to the top-of-the-rail as
indicated in PRR X29 diagram [2'-11-1/2"]

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=x29_x29a.gif&sel=b\;
ox&sz=sm&fr=

Both modifications really change the "look" of the model.

In their era these models were the only thing we had in styrene that was
close to ARA/X29 box cars. The flawed model from Train-Miniature changed
that, but only the model from Red Caboose finally gave us an accurate
model.

Regards,

Bob Witt