USRA Cabooses

Bill Welch

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Here s a link I found with specs and drawing of the USRA caboose. Sweet!

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/stevec/MLS-Topic-Article/RollingStock/Caboose/USRA-StdCabooseCar-1919.pdf

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Bill,

Thanks for posting. That is an excellent piece giving all the information
needed to build/detail a USRA caboose and general caboose wood construction
practice in the WW1 time frame.

John Hagen

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "lnbill"
<fgexbill@...> wrote:

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the
New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I
am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment
on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

Armand Premo

Bill,Not familiar with the specific roads that you mentioned,but I have built four CV and one StJ& LC and plan to build a Grand Trunk.They are really not bad kits .With some care in construction and a few added details they become a fairly good rendition.Armand Premo

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

mici256751

Bill,

I have built six of these from F&C $14 Baggie Kits and found them to assemble quite easily, with care. All castings fit well and I encountered no problems during construction. The finished car matched closely to drawings that I have of the USRA cabooses.

I found the kits to be an easier build than that of some Laser Kit cabooses that I have assembled lately. And, for 14 bucks, you can't go wrong with this kit!

Jim Kubanick,
Morgantown WV

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

naptownprr

Bill,

I built two of the F&C kits for my own (hypothetical, free lance prototype)railroad, and I found the kits to be relatively easy to do. I used one of those special clamps for 90 degree corners, and I added a few details, like a brass casting smoke jack.

However, the kits that I bought had end platforms designed for passenger car type steps, and I wanted to install tender-type steps. Sharon was gracious in supplying me with the steps I wanted, and I filled in the space that would have been taken up by the passenger steps.

Jim Hunter

Quoting lnbill <fgexbill@...>:

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for
the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also
owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of
these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to
the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Thank you to all that responded to my query about the F&C USRA cabooses. I have five photos of these cars but did not realize what their origins were. FWIW, it is possible to model all 3 groups of cabooses owned by the Clinchfield in HO, using the F&C kit, Atlas's steel cab and a ATSF design available in styrene and brass. The CRR applied a proprietary design sill step, offered in resin (I have forgotten by who). I have 3 sets. Instead of yellow, they painted their sill steps, and grabs and railings aluminum.

The CRR owned 3 USRA designs, the 50-ton SS boxcar, the 50-ton 2-bay hooper as well as the cabooses. These cars often carried CC&O reporting marks into the 1950's. They also owned examples of the USRA 2-8-8-2.

More FWIW, with the coming availability of the Alternate offset twin hopper, with the exception of one group of offset twins, it will be possible to model in styrene or resin all of the freight cars owned by the Clinchfield up until at least 1955. Pretty sweet for a fairly small, albeit big-time RR.

Bill Welch

Quoting lnbill <fgexbill@...>:

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for
the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also
owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of
these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to
the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

water.kresse@...

Does anyone have a drawing of the prototype caboose design that they could share?   I presume it had a steel underframe and wooden uppers?

Al Kresse

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Al

Soon after my initial inquiry I posted a message with this link. It has a very good history of these and several drawings.

--- In STMFC@..., water.kresse@... wrote:

Does anyone have a drawing of the prototype caboose design that they could share?   I presume it had a steel underframe and wooden uppers?

Al Kresse

I just noticed Funaro & Camerlengo offers USRA cabooses with kits for the New York Central and Ulster & Delaware. The Clinchfield also owned these. I am curious if anyone on the list has built one of these kits and can comment on their build-ability and faithfulness to the prototype? Thanks!

Bill Welch

water.kresse@...

Thanks Bill!!!

Al Kresse