Making brass cars quite

Steve SANDIFER

I have some brass steam era freight box cars that sure make a lot of "tin" noise when running. What have some of you done to quiet them down.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net

NHJJ4@...

I helped a friend with his cars way back. we put packing foam inside the
car. That killed the noise.

Jim Evans

In a message dated 8/20/2012 8:15:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net writes:

I have some brass steam era freight box cars that sure make a lot of "tin"
noise when running. What have some of you done to quiet them down.

jerryglow2

One thing I do is replace the trucks with appropriate ones molded in Delrin or similar. They roll smoother and with choices available, you can usually come up with a more accurate and/or better looking one.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

I have some brass steam era freight box cars that sure make a lot of "tin" noise when running. What have some of you done to quiet them down.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...

Douglas Harding

Couple of thoughts Steve:

New trucks, or at the least clean the journals with the wheel reamer tool
and use new wheelsets

A Kadee fiber washer on the truck bolster to damper sound/vibration transfer
to the box.

Put something inside the box that would dampen the sound/vibration, a block
of foam.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Allen Cain <allencain@...>

Now I have NOT done this but along with changing the trucks to plastic, has
anyone tried filling the inside of the car with the expanding foam product
available in spray cans from home improvement stores? I think it is called
"Good Stuff" or "Great Stuff" or something like that. I would think that
you would intimate contact with the brass surface with excellent sound
attenuation of noise coming from the body of the car. It would require
great care as this stuff really expands and if over applied might rip a car
apart? Humm, risk verses benefit?

Allen Cain

Scott H. Haycock

I'm not sure I'd try that but how about foam rubber? A cheap pillow from Wal-Mart, cut up with scissors would fill a lot of cars, assuming you can get inside them.
Scott Haycock

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Cain" <allencain@...> wrote:

Now I have NOT done this but along with changing the trucks to plastic, has
anyone tried filling the inside of the car with the expanding foam product
available in spray cans from home improvement stores? <snip>
I've used quite a number of different expanding spray foams and, frankly, I would NOT recommend it in a model. First, if accidentally gotten on the outside it is sometimes extremely difficult to remove completely.

Products of this nature a made by a number of companies and in a number of formulations and some expand with more force -quite a bit more force - than others. Descriptions of the container give some idea of the expansion but ...

Gene Green

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Cain" <allencain@...> wrote:

Now I have NOT done this but along with changing the trucks to plastic, has
anyone tried filling the inside of the car with the expanding foam product
available in spray cans from home improvement stores? I think it is called
"Good Stuff" or "Great Stuff" or something like that.
Be CAREFUL! That stuff will generate a surprising amount of pressure in a closed space, and there is no way to stop it from expanding once it's in there. I used some to fill gaps under 2" pink foamboard on a portable layout once, and was surprised to fins it pushed the roadbed up more than an inch. Luckily, a Sure-form cut the grade back down after the foam was done expanding, but I could easily see that stuff popping the solder joints on a brass car.

Dennis

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

Of course I meant to write "Descriptions ON the container . . .
Gene Green