USATC frieght cars


John Barry
 

I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent during WWII.  Does any one have information on the design, construction and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Barrybennetttoo@...
 

Tell him to buy Ed Kaminski's Magor book from SPV.

Barry Bennett

In a message dated 24/08/2012 03:44:14 GMT Daylight Time,
northbaylines@... writes:




I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped
to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent
during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction
and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the
Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Bruce Smith
 

John,

The tank cars and "kit" boxcars have come up several times on this list, although particulars are not very detailed. The tank cars were single compartment two dome tanks to provide enough expansion space within the confines of tight european clearances. Photo are available in several books.


Regards

Bruce


Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/


"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

__

/ \

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___ ________________________________

|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

|/_____________________________&#92;|_|________________________________|

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:44 PM, John Barry wrote:

I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA


Richard Townsend
 

Klein Modellbahn of Austria made HO models of the two-dome tank car. I think they stopped manufacturing in 2008 or so, but some of the models may still be out there.


Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon


Gene <bierglaeser@...>
 

Bruce,
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the kit box cars, gondolas, flat cars and tank car come along AFTER World War Two in anticipation of the next war in Europe?

Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to make a CAD drawing of the tank car. TM (Technical Manual) 55-2220-201-35 includes foldout drawings for the box car, high & low side gons but not the tank car since that came already assembled. (Drawings for the flat car are included since the flat was simply the gon or box without sides.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

John,

The tank cars and "kit" boxcars have come up several times on this list, although particulars are not very detailed. The tank cars were single compartment two dome tanks to provide enough expansion space within the confines of tight european clearances. Photo are available in several books.


Regards

Bruce


Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/


"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

__

/ &#92;

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___ ________________________________

|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

|/_____________________________&#92;|_|________________________________|

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0



On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:44 PM, John Barry wrote:

I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Bruce Smith
 

Gene,

Actually, I am not sure. I thought that some of them were used in WWII, but based that on comments that I might have misinterpreted.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 25, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Gene wrote:

Bruce,
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the kit box cars, gondolas, flat cars and tank car come along AFTER World War Two in anticipation of the next war in Europe?

Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to make a CAD drawing of the tank car. TM (Technical Manual) 55-2220-201-35 includes foldout drawings for the box car, high & low side gons but not the tank car since that came already assembled. (Drawings for the flat car are included since the flat was simply the gon or box without sides.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

John,

The tank cars and "kit" boxcars have come up several times on this list, although particulars are not very detailed. The tank cars were single compartment two dome tanks to provide enough expansion space within the confines of tight european clearances. Photo are available in several books.


Regards

Bruce


Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/


"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

__

/ &#92;

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___ ________________________________

|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

|/_____________________________&#92;|_|________________________________|

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0



On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:44 PM, John Barry wrote:

I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Dennis Storzek
 

--- In STMFC@..., "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

Bruce,
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the kit box cars, gondolas, flat cars and tank car come along AFTER World War Two in anticipation of the next war in Europe?
There have been successive groups of US built cars for war duty in Europe; The Haskell & Barker drawing files were full of drawings for various WWI cars.

The cars that most of us here are familiar with are the cold war era knock-down car "kits" because most of them never left the states. Groups have been surplused at various times, and made their way to tourist railways, or industries where the bodies were used as pre-fab storage sheds. Occasionally someone will get excited because they think they've found an "olde time" freightcar, but in reality these cars were never used in the US.

Dennis


railsnw@frontier.com <railsnw@...>
 

The kit cars were made during WW2. In the book United States Military Railway Service by Don DeNevi and Bob Hall are photos of kit box cars being assembled in England (photo dated 10-17-44)and a string of the two dome tank cars (photo dated 4-7-44). Also in the book Railroading in Eighteen Countries by Carl Gray who was Director General of the U.S. Military Railway Service from 1942 to 1945 their is a list of 10 responsibilities of the MRS units and number 6 was "Actual construction of prefabricated boxcars, flatcars and Gondolas, which had been shipped to the United Kingdom for erection".

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@..., "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

Bruce,
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the kit box cars, gondolas, flat cars and tank car come along AFTER World War Two in anticipation of the next war in Europe?

Quite a few years ago I had the opportunity to make a CAD drawing of the tank car. TM (Technical Manual) 55-2220-201-35 includes foldout drawings for the box car, high & low side gons but not the tank car since that came already assembled. (Drawings for the flat car are included since the flat was simply the gon or box without sides.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@> wrote:

John,

The tank cars and "kit" boxcars have come up several times on this list, although particulars are not very detailed. The tank cars were single compartment two dome tanks to provide enough expansion space within the confines of tight european clearances. Photo are available in several books.


Regards

Bruce


Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/


"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

__

/ &#92;

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___ ________________________________

|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |

| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

|/_____________________________&#92;|_|________________________________|

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0



On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:44 PM, John Barry wrote:

I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock shipped to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the continent during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used by the Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA




Hobi Point
 


Phil Clark
 

Barry,

Kaminski's Magor book
http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/193001304\;
3
<http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/19300130\;
43> shows

Chapter 2 is Export Railcars. `… during WW2, the US War Dept bcame
a major purchaser and between 1942 and 1945 , a total of 7926 railcars
of various types were built…'

Chapter 6 Is A Complete Production List 1925-1968. Shows US War Dept
made 17 orders for flat, gondola, box and air-dump cars, but no tank
cars, from 11/42 to 8/45. Reproduced catalogue pages show 2 axle 4 wheel
cars with buffers. The commonality for the USA lettered orders in 1945
for 500 gondola cars (open wagons) and 800 box cars (goods vans) wav
5' 6" gauge and 36" wheels.

Kaminskii's ACF book,
http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/096337\;
9100/ref=la_B001K7RE1A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4
<http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/09633\;
79100/ref=la_B001K7RE1A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4> shows;

A US War Dept 9906 gallon, 2 compartment tank car built 1943. Quantity
built not stated.

Googling `… USATC… ` gives:

`…. Wagons to GB loading gauge made for the US Army Transportation
Corps, examples of which were used in Britain 1942-1945 before starting
a long life in continental Europe…' on
http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usat\;
c.htm
<http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usa\;
tc.htm> which lists 8 cars, one of which is the ACF tank car on
http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_mode\;
llbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm
<http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_mod\;
ellbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm>

Phil Clark, Catarman, Philippines.
--- In STMFC@..., Barrybennetttoo@... wrote:

Tell him to buy Ed Kaminski's Magor book from SPV.

Barry Bennett


In a message dated 24/08/2012 03:44:14 GMT Daylight Time,
northbaylines@... writes:




I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock
shipped
to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the
continent
during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction
and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used
by the
Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Barrybennetttoo@...
 

Yes, that is why I referred him to the book. It gave rise to a conversation
with someone who does not live in the UK but that has a bt internet
address who did not, of course, understand the SPV referral. This lead inevitably
to chat about ex-USATC locos operating in the UK and elsewhere, apparently
more than there are believed existant in the US.

There is also some info in both the Pullman standard and ACF books.

Barry

In a message dated 31/08/2012 09:34:38 GMT Daylight Time,
clark3332003@... writes:






Barry,

Kaminski's Magor book
_http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/193001304\;
3_
(http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/1930013043)
<_http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/19300130\;
43_
(http://www.amazon.com/The-Magor-Corporation-Edward-Kaminski/dp/1930013043) > shows

Chapter 2 is Export Railcars. `… during WW2, the US War Dept bcame
a major purchaser and between 1942 and 1945 , a total of 7926 railcars
of various types were built…'

Chapter 6 Is A Complete Production List 1925-1968. Shows US War Dept
made 17 orders for flat, gondola, box and air-dump cars, but no tank
cars, from 11/42 to 8/45. Reproduced catalogue pages show 2 axle 4 wheel
cars with buffers. The commonality for the USA lettered orders in 1945
for 500 gondola cars (open wagons) and 800 box cars (goods vans) wav
5' 6" gauge and 36" wheels.

Kaminskii's ACF book,
_http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/096337\;
9100/ref=la_B001K7RE1A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4_
(http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/0963379100/ref=la_B001K7RE1
A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4)
<_http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/09633\;
79100/ref=la_B001K7RE1A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4_
(http://www.amazon.com/American-Foundry-Company-Edward-Kaminski/dp/0963379100/ref=la_B001K7RE
1A_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346140288&sr=1-4) > shows;

A US War Dept 9906 gallon, 2 compartment tank car built 1943. Quantity
built not stated.

Googling `… USATC… ` gives:

`…. Wagons to GB loading gauge made for the US Army Transportation
Corps, examples of which were used in Britain 1942-1945 before starting
a long life in continental Europe…' on
_http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usat\;
c.htm_
(http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usatc.htm)
<_http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usa\;
tc.htm_
(http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/index_freight-wagons_usatc.htm) > which lists 8 cars, one of which is the ACF tank car on
_http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_mode\;
llbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm_
(http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_modellbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm)
<_http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_mod\;
ellbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm_
(http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/showcase/freight-wagons/klein_modellbahn_usatc-bogie-tank-wagon_1.htm) >

Phil Clark, Catarman, Philippines.
--- In _STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ,
Barrybennetttoo@... wrote:

Tell him to buy Ed Kaminski's Magor book from SPV.

Barry Bennett


In a message dated 24/08/2012 03:44:14 GMT Daylight Time,
northbaylines@... writes:




I have a friend in the UK who is wondering about the rolling stock
shipped
to the UK and France to support the Allied effort to liberate the
continent
during WWII. Does any one have information on the design, construction
and builders for the tank, flat, gondola, and box cars that were used
by the
Military Railway Service?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Charlie Vlk
 

Has anyone found an scanned copy available online for download of the Army Manual previously referenced that covers assembly and maintenance of the USATC cars?

I have found some later manuals that primarily detail the operation of USATC diesels, but nothing from the WWII era.

Charlie Vlk