Photo of PT on SP flat

John Barry

An interesting wartime load.  Photo was taken at the Higgens shipyard in Louisianna circa 1942 of PT201 on flat car SP 79571.  See the photo on my blog at:
http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html#!/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html

Does anyoe make a model of this 53 foot flat?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

Bill Welch

I don't know about the flat but Revell made a 1/96th scale of the Higgins PT. I am not sure if they are still in production but they can be found.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

An interesting wartime load.  Photo was taken at the Higgens shipyard in Louisianna circa 1942 of PT201 on flat car SP 79571.  See the photo on my blog at:
http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html#!/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html

Does anyoe make a model of this 53 foot flat?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

John Barry

Yes they do and I've had one since 1965 or so, predating my interest in trains circa 68. Modeling this combo would be an excellent reuse of a poorly detailed heritage model (the PT) and a great fit with my current rail marine interests.

The Tichy 40' flat might be a starting point for a dice & splice conversion but I'd like a straight kit build if it is available.

John Barry

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I don't know about the flat but Revell made a 1/96th scale of the Higgins PT. I am not sure if they are still in production but they can be found.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., John Barry <northbaylines@> wrote:

An interesting wartime load.  Photo was taken at the Higgens shipyard in Louisianna circa 1942 of PT201 on flat car SP 79571.  See the photo on my blog at:
http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html#!/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html

Does anyoe make a model of this 53 foot flat?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

Ken Roth

I don't know of any model available for an SP 50-14. Years ago (1990?) I scratchbuilt one using brass for the underframe and styrene overlays for the sides and ends. I used Tichy stake pockets which I trimmed to make them more like the prototype. This was before Tony Thompson's freight car books, which give more information. I worked from photos and very rough measurements taken of the car in the RR museum in Campo, CA. You might be able to come close bashing parts from a couple of Tichy 40' flats, but I've never actually studied that approach.

Ken Roth

Bill Welch

Meanwhile I will be looking for a 1/35th scale flat to put my 1/35 scale Italeri 80-ft ELCO PT on. BTW the Higgins was 75-ft IIRC.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "krowth3249" <kenwroth@...> wrote:

I don't know of any model available for an SP 50-14. Years ago (1990?) I scratchbuilt one using brass for the underframe and styrene overlays for the sides and ends. I used Tichy stake pockets which I trimmed to make them more like the prototype. This was before Tony Thompson's freight car books, which give more information. I worked from photos and very rough measurements taken of the car in the RR museum in Campo, CA. You might be able to come close bashing parts from a couple of Tichy 40' flats, but I've never actually studied that approach.

Ken Roth

Bruce Smith

Folks, John,

Very cool photo. But before you go running off to model this PT boat, you might want to do a little more investigating. For example, the PT-201, being a Higgins 78' class, had a beam of slightly over 20'. A close examination of the photo of PT-210 confirms that it extends substantially over the sides of the car. Such a load would be extremely difficult to transport any distance and therefore is most likely being readied for or from a local move (in plant, or perhaps from plant to water for launch). It seems unlikely to me that this PT boat traveled any distance at all by rail.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
An interesting wartime load. Photo was taken at the Higgens shipyard in Louisianna circa 1942 of PT201 on flat car SP 79571. See the photo on my blog at:
http://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html#!/2012/09/wartime-flat-car-loads-update_14.html

Does anyoe make a model of this 53 foot flat?

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Cotati, CA

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Brian Termunde

I wish someone made one close to 1:160!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

"My Train of Thought left the station without me!"

I don't know about the flat but Revell made a 1/96th scale of the Higgins PT. I
m not sure if they are still in production but they can be found.
Bill Welch
---

Bruce Smith

Brian, Folks,

As I noted earlier, this isn't really a very good cargo for long-distance movement by rails due to the beam of these PR boats. However there are other "boats" that fit the WWII era and would be most appropriate. One is readily modeled in HO (not sure about N) and these are LCVP landing craft. They were transported on their sides on flat cars over long distances, There is a photo of some on the Erie in the book America's Fighting Railroads by Don DeNevi. Alternatively, and more difficult to model would be other boats. One of the most interesting "boat cargos" I have seen are 2 Army tugboats or tenders shown in photos at the signal corps archives at the Library of Va. The shipment is carried on 3 flat cars and consists of 2 cars carrying the hulls, in an upright position with very little on the decks, and one flat carry two deckhouses the boats. A scratch building project for sure <G>! Al Brown has also modeled a private motor vessel secured to a PRR F22 as shown in photos from the Florida archive... and which likely represents a private vessel being returned to its owner following requisition into the coastal defense forces.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

On Sep 17, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Brian wrote:

I wish someone made one close to 1:160!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

Brian Termunde

9b. Re: Photo of PT on SP flat
Posted by: "Bruce F. Smith" smithbf@... smithbf36832
Date: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:52 am ((PDT))
Brian, Folks,
As I noted earlier, this isn't really a very good cargo for long-distance
ovement by rails due to the beam of these PR boats.

Bruce,
I did note your valid comment regarding the PT boats, I've long had an interest in these craft (and their British counterparts, the MTB's). However, your suggesting regarding the LCVP's is indeed a great idea. My uncle ran one of these during WWII (including the landings at Guadalcanal), also when I was stationed at NAVSTA Guam, we had several former landing craft converted for various harbor duties in Apra Harbor.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

"My Train of Thought left the station without me!"

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

For those of us not nautically inclined beam is what?
Gene Green

Bruce Smith

Gene,

Beam of a vessel is equivalent to Extreme Width of a freight car, that is, the width at the widest part.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

On Sep 18, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Gene wrote:

For those of us not nautically inclined beam is what?
Gene Green

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Overall width of the hull.

John Hagen

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

For those of us not nautically inclined beam is what?
Gene Green

Hi Gene,

It's the width of a ship or boat at its widest point.

Regards,

Charles Hostetler

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Beam is the width of the ship.

Bill Daniels

On Sep 18, 2012, at 10:52 AM, "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

For those of us not nautically inclined beam is what?
Gene Green

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

On 9/18/2012 11:18 AM, Bill Daniels wrote:
Beamis the width of the ship.
Just caught some of this but did look up PT boats, seems they were
at least 20' beam and 80' long. What flat were they on for the 80'?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bruce Smith

50' in the photo, with lots of overlap!
Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On 9/18/2012 11:18 AM, Bill Daniels wrote:
Beamis the width of the ship.
Just caught some of this but did look up PT boats, seems they were
at least 20' beam and 80' long. What flat were they on for the 80'?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Pieter Roos

It appears the Elcos were 80 ft, Higgins PTs where 78.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT_boat

Revell made a plastic Higgins PT in either 1/96 or 1/100 scale (references not clear), which might be usable.

http://www.building-model-boats.com/pt-boat-model.html

Pieter Roos
Connecticut

--- In STMFC@..., "Bruce F. Smith" <smithbf@...> wrote:

50' in the photo, with lots of overlap!
Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On 9/18/2012 11:18 AM, Bill Daniels wrote:
Beamis the width of the ship.
Just caught some of this but did look up PT boats, seems they were
at least 20' beam and 80' long. What flat were they on for the 80'?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Rich Yoder

So we're looking at a 52' car with a boat that is 20' wide and 78' long.
It's an impressive photo and yes in "O" scale a car is available and a 1:48
scale boat kit is on the market.
For most of us this would be a model to sit on a siding :)
Rich Yoder

[...]

--- In STMFC@..., Bill Daniels <billinsf@...> wrote:
Beam is the width of the ship.
Bill Daniels
Seems like an odd term for that dimension but OK. I was imagining something more along the lines of "keel." Thanks to all who responded. Once again, ask and ye shall receive.
Gratefully,
Gene one-nautical-term-wiser Green

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Gene,

As a former Navy Petty Officer, I am quite knowledgeable regarding naval terminology. However, I also understand that people who did not have that experience (or are sailors today in either pleasure, military or merchant vessels) may not understand, nor care for, jargon. I tried to put it as simply as possible, while being suitably accruate.

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA