Topics

More freight car help please

Clark Propst

I seem to do about everything backwards. I’ve searched my lists and found a couple loads I’d like to use on my layout. But, I can’t find anything out about the cars hauling them.

Any description help for the following cars is much appreciated.

ROADNAME NUMBER SERIES
DL&W 54842 54000-55899
MKT 96309 95000-96499 B

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Charles Hostetler <cesicjh@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <cepropst@...> wrote:
Any description help for the following cars is much appreciated.

ROADNAME NUMBER SERIES
DL&W 54842 54000-55899
MKT 96309 95000-96499 B

Clark, I'll have a try at these.

I think the DL&W 5400-55899 were 40' 12-panel riveted AAR boxcars built in 1955 through 1957. From the Jan 1958 ORER:

54000-55899: XM, Box, All Steel, W-Section; IL 40'6", IH 10'5", 8' doors; 3891 cu ft.; 1844 total cars

There are a large number of photos of these that have floated through eBay and other sources over the last several years including some nice color and overhead shots. I'll send you a selection off-list. A quick scan of these suggests at least two door types were used (Superior and Improved Youngstown).

References for the MKT 95000-96499 are Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Vol 1, page 48 and Mainline Modeler Sept 2003 page 37. These MKT cars are 40' single-sheathed box cars with the 1922 ARA center sill and Howe truss configuration with 3 panels on each side of the door. Hutchins Dry Ladings roofs (Type 1), Camel No. 32 Top Supported Doors, Murphy 7/8 steel ends. O'Boyle (in the MM article) notes that "the second half of this series (95500-95999) varies in some details from the first 500 cars."

Hope this is useful,

Charles Hostetler
Goshen, IN

Clark Propst

I just had that book out when doing a SOO RC 40'DD! Thanks for reminding me Charles.
The DL&W car is too new for me. Looks like the Accurail MKT car is pretty close.
Thanks again
Clark Propst

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 25, 2012, at 10:44 AM, <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
I seem to do about everything backwards. Ive searched my lists and
found a couple loads Id like to use on my layout. But, I cant
find anything out about the cars hauling them.

Any description help for the following cars is much appreciated.

ROADNAME NUMBER SERIES
DL&W 54842 54000-55899
MKT 96309 95000-96499 B
Clark. the Lackawanna cars were apparently standard AAR 40' steel box
cars with 8' doors, but I have no photos as they were built new in
the mid-'50s.

The Katy cars were single sheathed box cars built in 1925 with 7/8
corrugated steel ends, wood doors, Hutchins roofs, vertical staff
hand brakes, and ARA cast steel trucks with spring planks. Ted
Culotta produced an excellent resin kit for them, with instructions
that call out several minor variations among cars of different
numbers within the series. I have a number of photos showing them in
both mineral red and Katy yellow paint which I'll scan and send to
you off-list if you'd like.

Richard Hendrickson

Clark Propst

I remember Ted's kit. Flat chance of finding one. I bet Ted wrote the kit up as an `essentials' article in Craftsman. I'm going to "Trainfest" in Milwaukee in a couple weeks I'll look for the Accurail kit there. With the help of Ted's article and your photos, Richard, I may be able to make a credible model?
Clark Propst

Scott H. Haycock

Ted's article appeared in RMC, July 2007

Scott Haycock

The Katy cars were single sheathed box cars built in 1925 with 7/8
corrugated steel ends, wood doors, Hutchins roofs, vertical staff
hand brakes, and ARA cast steel trucks with spring planks. Ted
Culotta produced an excellent resin kit for them, with instructions
that call out several minor variations among cars of different
numbers within the series. I have a number of photos showing them in
both mineral red and Katy yellow paint which I'll scan and send to
you off-list if you'd like.
Richard Hendrickson

Brian Carlson

Charles is essentially correct on the DL&W cars many of these were assigned
to flour service out of Buffalo. These cars represented almost 25% of the
DL&W fleet in 1957. Below is some additional information that I think I got
from Ed Hawkins at one time. There is no state of the are model for these.
I'd hoped Branchline would do the 12 panel car as a follow-up to their post
war 10 panel cars but they never did.

DL&W series 54000-54499 blt 1955 ?

12p riveted R+3/4E DP roof 8' 6p SUP doors

Classic Freight Cars V.8 p.66 (back cover) partial

DL&W #54396 w/ black ends and galvanized roof

DL&W series 54500-54999 blt 1955 ?

12p riveted R+3/4E DP roof 8' IY doors

Trains 4/1990 pp.46-47 1962 color photo #54577

scan DL&W #54544 w/ galvanized running board

DL&W series 55000-55499 blt 1957 ?

12p riveted R+3/4E DP roof 8' 6p SUP doors

scan Soph Marty 1963 photo DL&W #55197

55203 Bob's photos

DL&W series 55500-55899 blt 7/1956 ACF

12p welded R+3/4E 8' IY door DP roof

Rail Model Journal 8/1992 pp.24-29 photo #55699;

modeling article

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga, NY

Any description help for the following cars is much appreciated.

ROADNAME NUMBER SERIES
DL&W 54842 54000-55899
MKT 96309 95000-96499 B
Clark, I'll have a try at these.

I think the DL&W 5400-55899 were 40' 12-panel riveted AAR boxcars built in
1955 through 1957. From the Jan 1958 ORER:

54000-55899: XM, Box, All Steel, W-Section; IL 40'6", IH 10'5", 8' doors;
3891 cu ft.; 1844 total cars

There are a large number of photos of these that have floated through eBay
and other sources over the last several years including some nice color and
overhead shots. I'll send you a selection off-list. A quick scan of these
suggests at least two door types were used (Superior and Improved
Youngstown).

Tim O'Connor

Didn't Sunshine do the 12 panel DL&W cars? Should be an easy kitbash from Intermountain.

Tim O'

Charles is essentially correct on the DL&W cars many of these were assigned
to flour service out of Buffalo. These cars represented almost 25% of the
DL&W fleet in 1957. Below is some additional information that I think I got
from Ed Hawkins at one time. There is no state of the are model for these.
I'd hoped Branchline would do the 12 panel car as a follow-up to their post
war 10 panel cars but they never did.

Brian Carlson

Aren't the IM cars 10 ft IH. I think I have some old C&BT kits squirreled away. But I need to check the ends.
Brian Carlson

On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:49 AM, timboconnor@comcast.net wrote:

Didn't Sunshine do the 12 panel DL&W cars? Should be an easy kitbash from Intermountain.

Tim O'

Charles is essentially correct on the DL&W cars many of these were assigned
to flour service out of Buffalo. These cars represented almost 25% of the
DL&W fleet in 1957. Below is some additional information that I think I got
from Ed Hawkins at one time. There is no state of the are model for these.
I'd hoped Branchline would do the 12 panel car as a follow-up to their post
war 10 panel cars but they never did.

Tim O'Connor

I didn't realize you were talking about 10'6" cars.

Yeah, the only 12 panel riveted 10'6" cars are from C&BT. Or you could use the old Front Range
car bodies (quite nice IMO) and add Archer rivets.

Tim O'