GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

golden1014

GN Experts,

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

aaejj2j

I assume you mean 1950 not 1950s, then the trucks on those two cars are sort of a brown not black.
The GNRHS website I believe still posts Reference Sheet 28 which lists colors; unfortunately, there are about three of them and they are not dated. In addition, I believe Model Railroader back in the mid to late 1940s or even early 1950s published a series of various RR color listings (not the diagrams) and the GN one was included from the 1945 Mech Engineering department if I remember correctly - this would also be correct for the year 1950.
Tyrone Johnsen
Rockford, IL

--- In STMFC@..., John Golden <golden1014@...> wrote:

GN Experts,

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Mikebrock

John Golden writes:

"I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?"

You might check out the message from Staffan Ehnbom on 10-22-2012 at 5:25AM which was a response to my inquiry regarding the color scheme for a GN truss rod box car as it would appear in 1954 painted with the side view of the goat.

I plan to put a photo of the car in the photo section later today.

Mike Brock

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

I don't know what "I'm"stands for but the color of GN flat car and the 40' SS box car trucks (and the entire cars for that matter) around 1950 was mineral red.

Staffan Ehnbom

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Bob McCarthy

Staffan,

     What color would the bodies, ends and roof have been of the GN 9000 series cars at that time that had survived?  When would they have been rebuilt and painted?  Also, what would be the color scheme for the 1937 steel roof and end with wooden side group before and after having plywood sides installed.

Thanks,

Bob McCarthy