GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

golden1014

GN Experts,

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

aaejj2j

I assume you mean 1950 not 1950s, then the trucks on those two cars are sort of a brown not black.
The GNRHS website I believe still posts Reference Sheet 28 which lists colors; unfortunately, there are about three of them and they are not dated. In addition, I believe Model Railroader back in the mid to late 1940s or even early 1950s published a series of various RR color listings (not the diagrams) and the GN one was included from the 1945 Mech Engineering department if I remember correctly - this would also be correct for the year 1950.
Tyrone Johnsen
Rockford, IL

--- In STMFC@..., John Golden <golden1014@...> wrote:

GN Experts,

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Mikebrock

John Golden writes:

"I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?"

You might check out the message from Staffan Ehnbom on 10-22-2012 at 5:25AM which was a response to my inquiry regarding the color scheme for a GN truss rod box car as it would appear in 1954 painted with the side view of the goat.

I plan to put a photo of the car in the photo section later today.

Mike Brock

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

I don't know what "I'm"stands for but the color of GN flat car and the 40' SS box car trucks (and the entire cars for that matter) around 1950 was mineral red.

Staffan Ehnbom

----- Original Message -----
To: stmfc@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:27 PM
Subject: [STMFC] GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

GN Experts,

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Bob McCarthy

Staffan,

What color would the bodies, ends and roof have been of the GN 9000 series cars at that time that had survived?  When would they have been rebuilt and painted?  Also, what would be the color scheme for the 1937 steel roof and end with wooden side group before and after having plywood sides installed.

Thanks,

Bob McCarthy

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

I don't know what "I'm"stands for but the color of GN flat car and the 40' SS box car trucks (and the entire cars for that matter) around 1950 was mineral red.

Staffan Ehnbom

GN Experts,

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

golden1014

Hi Stephan,

I don't knows what all that jibberish is either---something added by the Chinese as they review all our emails, of course.

Nonetheless I got my flat car painted today and thanks to you the colors are right. I'll get you a photo sometime soon. Thanks again and I hope you're doing great.

John

John Golden
OFallon, IL

--- In STMFC@..., "Staffan Ehnbom" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

Staffan Ehnbom

GN Experts,

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Scott Pitzer

Somewhere along the line, the formatting for an apostrophe was just too much to handle, so you get that instead.
Scott Pitzer

On Oct 30, 2012, at 6:34 PM, "John" <golden1014@

--- In STMFC@..., "Staffan Ehnbom" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

Staffan Ehnbom

GN Experts,

I'm finishing

Mark Stamm

Off Topic, but &#39 is the ASCII code for an apostrophe. So Yahoo had a
problem with the HTML conversion to what should have "I'm".

HTH

Mark

Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:34 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

Hi Stephan,

I don't knows what all that jibberish is either---something added by the
Chinese as they review all our emails, of course.

Nonetheless I got my flat car painted today and thanks to you the colors are
right. I'll get you a photo sometime soon. Thanks again and I hope you're
doing great.

John

John Golden
OFallon, IL

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Staffan
Ehnbom" <staffan.ehnbom@...> wrote:

I don't know what "I'm"stands for but the color of GN flat car and the
40' SS box car trucks (and the entire cars for that matter) around 1950 was
mineral red.

Staffan Ehnbom

To: stmfc@... <mailto:stmfc%40yahoogroups.com>

GN Experts,

I'm finishing two HO scale GN models in November (Chad's flat car
and the Sunshine SS box car) and would like to know please what color to
paint the trucks. Were they black or Mineral?

Thanks,
John Golden
OFallon, IL

Mikebrock

Scott Pitzer says:

"Somewhere along the line, the formatting for an apostrophe was just too much to handle, so you get that instead."

I like the Chinese answer better.

Mike Brock

Staffan Ehnbom <staffan.ehnbom@...>

Bob,

By 1950 some 9000 series cars were repainted all mineral red (including trucks) with the 54" GNR (Great Northern Railway) herald. Those not repainted after 1947 would have black ends and roof and a SFG-SAF (Side Faceing Goat - See America First) herald. The 9000 series was rebuilt in 1925 and would have been repainted repeatedly by 1950.

The 1937 cars (45000 series) had the same paint as the 9000 (black roof and ends and mineral red sides) but 72" heralds in the 1940's until 1947 repaints into all mineral red. So the plywood rebuilds (32000 series) were all mineral red as built in 1954 and 1955. Some still with wood sides and some of the plywood rebuilds would receive vermilion body color (mineral red trucks) and Empire Builder lettering after 1956.

Staffan Ehnbom

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] GN Freight Car Painting, c. 1950

Staffan,

What color would the bodies, ends and roof have been of the GN 9000 series cars at that time that had survived? When would they have been rebuilt and painted? Also, what would be the color scheme for the 1937 steel roof and end with wooden side group before and after having plywood sides installed.

Thanks,

Bob McCarthy

Andy Harman

At 07:48 PM 10/30/2012 -0700, you wrote:
Somewhere along the line, the formatting for an apostrophe was just too much to handle, so you get that instead.
I thought only my listserver did that...

Andy