Airbrush Clinic & Demo at Naperville

Alan Houtz

To all who commented, thank you very much! I had fun teaching the classes. It is our intent to return next year, though I was thinking of shortening the clinic. The thought was possibly a one hour beginner session and a one hour advanced session every day. I spoke with many who were interested in attending but could not see their way clear to giving up three hours of clinic time for one event. As a long time attendee, believe me I can relate! No matter how I juggled my clinic schedule in a given year I always ended up missing out on something!

Your thoughts on what you would like in a class are welcome.

Cordially,

Alan Houtz

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I am curious if anyone on the list participated in the Iwata Airbrush Clinic & Demo during the recent Naperville event and what learnings, wisdom, opinions, etc resulted in general about painting, airbrushing, the their specific airbrush?

Bill Welch

jdziadul <dziadul@...>

I was not in Naperville, but I attended the hands on 2 1/2 hour airbrush clinic at the NMRA convention in Grand Rapids and consider it to be the best investment of clinic time of any convention I have ever attended. I highly recommend it for any airbrush novices like me.
Jack Dziadul
Sanford, NC

Clark Propst

Alan should be doing demos at trainfest next weekend also if you missed Naperville.

Clark Propst

Tim O'Connor

One of the reasons I like to use Floquil for weathering is that it can be
applied with less than 10 lbs of air pressure -- really helps when using a
double action with a #1 fine needle and tip.

In general with enamel paints (not Accupaint/Star/Tru-Color) I now try to mix
what I need for the paint session and toss out anything left over -- never put
it back in the source bottle.

Tim O'

----- Original Message -----

I sat in on the hands-on clinic. As I already have an Iwata dual-action
brush and one of their top of the line compressors, I was knowledgeable with
the product line, and the proper means of disassembly and cleaning. But Alan
did an excellent job of running through this very important step, offering
pointers and why fors. He covered the difference in single action vs dual
action. And took us step by step through a variety of techniques with paper
practice sheets. It was in the sheets where I learned, as I had not
attempted some of the techniques he wanted us to master.

The paint use in the clinic was new for me, and a great opportunity to try
it. It took me a little while to master. Which I finally accomplished after
turning down the pressure on the air supply. Alan at the regulators pre-set
at about 20lbs, which was fine for general painting, but after I dialed back
to 15lbs I was finally satisfied with the subtle weathering techniques I was
want to master.

Douglas Harding

I sat in on the hands-on clinic. As I already have an Iwata dual-action
brush and one of their top of the line compressors, I was knowledgeable with
the product line, and the proper means of disassembly and cleaning. But Alan
did an excellent job of running through this very important step, offering
pointers and why fors. He covered the difference in single action vs dual
action. And took us step by step through a variety of techniques with paper
practice sheets. It was in the sheets where I learned, as I had not
attempted some of the techniques he wanted us to master.

The paint use in the clinic was new for me, and a great opportunity to try
it. It took me a little while to master. Which I finally accomplished after
turning down the pressure on the air supply. Alan at the regulators pre-set
at about 20lbs, which was fine for general painting, but after I dialed back
to 15lbs I was finally satisfied with the subtle weathering techniques I was
want to master.

The clinic was certainly worth the time, for novice or experienced.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Andy Harman

At 01:34 AM 11/2/2012 +0000, you wrote:
After it was all over I realize that I am going to need a lot of practice before I paint my rolling stock. However, I am very happy I participated and Alan was a good teacher helping me to overcome my reticence.
You'd be surprised. I got my first airbrush in 1972 when I was 14 years old. I had been building models since age 7 and using spray paint since about the age of 10. I loaded my cheapie Badger 250 up with Floquil engine black and painted a Tyco Mikado tender. It was a better paint job on my first try than I ever got with a spraycan.

I've never gotten into any of the really fine techniques. I couldn't do T shirts or any kind of "art". I use my airbrush for painting.

I also was told there was a substantial learning curve to go from a single action like the H to a double action like the VL. I believed this for 20 years. In 1996 I bought a VL, and let it sit around for a while, I eventually tried it. I haven't used the H since, and I'm still trying to figure out what's so hard about it. Maybe having to un-learn the pushback procedure for clearing clogs on a single action... don't need to worry about that anymore!

Andy

Andy Harman

At 06:14 PM 11/1/2012 -0400, you wrote:

I have 2 Paasche brushes - 1 single-action, the other double-action. I bought an Iwata compressor at Naperville - much quieter than my Craftsman.
I've been using Paasche for 40 years - the last 16 or so almost 100% VL and H before that. The only thing I'd consider changing to would be Iwata. I haven't been to their clinics but I did talk to their reps at Lisle/Naperville last year and I think I talked to them again at Rosemont. It's good stuff.

Andy

Jared Harper

Bill,

I attended the Iwata airbrush clinic at Naperville. Although I have been a model railroader almost 60 years, own an Iwata airbrush, compressor and related accessories I have never learned to use an airbrush. I thought the clinic at Naperville would be an eye opener and would get me to overcome my inertia especially since I will be needing to paint freight cars and locomotives soon. The 2 1/2 hour clinic was helpful. We all got to practice different spray patterns with the Iwata double-action brushes on hand and then attempt weathering a freight car. We also learned how to disassemble and clean the Iwata brush which is quite simple. After it was all over I realize that I am going to need a lot of practice before I paint my rolling stock. However, I am very happy I participated and Alan was a good teacher helping me to overcome my reticence.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I am curious if anyone on the list participated in the Iwata Airbrush Clinic & Demo during the recent Naperville event and what learnings, wisdom, opinions, etc resulted in general about painting, airbrushing, the their specific airbrush?

Bill Welch

Robert J Miller CFA

My wife & I both were in the Friday session. It was the best thing I've done at the 3 RPMs we've been to. We disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the brush we worked with. Then we practiced 4 techniques and finally did some actual weathering on a piece of our own rolling stock.

Kudos to Alan Houtz for a great clinic. The best part is the hands on experience.

I have 2 Paasche brushes - 1 single-action, the other double-action. I bought an Iwata compressor at Naperville - much quieter than my Craftsman.
On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:14 PM, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Bill Welch

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bill Welch

Bill Welch