completed helium car model

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

I have now posted the last of three descriptions of my conversion of an AHM helium car, to an improved model suitable for my layout. A vital part of the completion of this model was the new helium car decals from Jerry Glow. If you'd like to read about and see the model, you can go to this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/11/helium-cars-part-3.html

Publishers of books on railroad history

Steven D Johnson

Very nice model, Tony! As I recall when this subject was discussed a while
back, Jerry mentioned making decals for all the reporting marks as
appropriate for this car. I hope that is still his plan.

Thanks,

Steve Johnson

I have now posted the last of three descriptions of my conversion of an AHM
helium car, to an improved model suitable for my layout. A vital part of the
completion of this model was the new helium car decals from Jerry Glow. If
you'd like to read about and see the model, you can go to this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/11/helium-cars-part-3.html

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>

Steve Johnson wrote:
Very nice model, Tony! As I recall when this subject was discussed a while back, Jerry mentioned making decals for all the reporting marks as appropriate for this car. I hope that is still his plan.
Thanks, Steve. It was a fun project. My understanding is that Jerry will indeed offer all the reporting-mark sets, not just the USNX set I used, but obviously I can't speak for him. I would suggest you contact him directly.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Clark Propst

I found a good one at a swap meet and gave it to Stan R at Naperville saying he needed someplace to store all his hot air : ))

Your's looks real nice, maybe I should have kept it...

Clark Propst

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Clark Propst wrote:
I found a good one at a swap meet and gave it to Stan R at Naperville saying he needed someplace to store all his hot air : ))
Your's looks real nice, maybe I should have kept it...
Thanks, Clark. Maybe I should seek out another one to convert, and have a pair . . . <g> . . . now that there are decals.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Brian Carlson

This is great, now that Tony has upgraded one and published an article a new state of the art model will come out shortly. :)
Brian Carlson

On Nov 28, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:

Clark Propst wrote:
I found a good one at a swap meet and gave it to Stan R at Naperville saying he needed someplace to store all his hot air : ))
Your's looks real nice, maybe I should have kept it...
Thanks, Clark. Maybe I should seek out another one to convert, and have a pair . . . <g> . . . now that there are decals.

Publishers of books on railroad history

The operating group I belonged to in Illinois had a common car for all layouts: an AHM helium car lettered for DinoGas. This gas was converted from dinosaur dung during the many years since the Jurassic period. The cars had to carry the most dangerous hazard placards because a puncture would require clearing the population for miles around because of the smell. – Al Westerfield

I found a good one at a swap meet and gave it to Stan R at Naperville saying he needed someplace to store all his hot air : ))

Your's looks real nice, maybe I should have kept it...

Clark Propst

Bruce Smith

Brian,

I know I'm looking forward to that - been agitating for an updated car for years... just so long as it is one the WWII cars and not a later one ;^)

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
I know I'm looking forward to that - been agitating for an updated car for years... just so long as it is one the WWII cars and not a later one ;^)
Well, mine is from the 1942 batch of cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Don <riverman_vt@...>

I have now posted the last of three descriptions of my conversion of an AHM helium car, to an improved model suitable for my layout. A vital part of the completion of this model was the new helium car decals from Jerry Glow. If you'd like to read about and see the model, you can go to this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/11/helium-cars-part-3.html

Publishers of books on railroad history

This makes into a nice model, Tony, and one that also reaises some questions for me. Some years ago I was given a batch of ACF car drawings. Few were labeled as to the road they were designed for. This makes me further wonder who many of them were actually constructed. Therein lies there relationship to helium cars as one of them is noted to be a helium car. The drawing is not right at hand at the moment but can be dug out. If memory serves there were either two or three rows of stacked tanks with the tanks being larger in diameter than those on your model and being stacked like cordwood.
Does this strike a familiar cord with you or other listees? Might anyone know how many different styles of helium tank cars might have been used and how many different builders constructed them?

Just something else to contemplate, Don Valentine

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Don,
This probably won't mean much, but I had the pleasure of seeing helium cars passing through Southern Arizona for about 10 or so years, from the mid 70's through the mid 80's. The only cars I ever saw we're the same design as modeled by Tony.

Bill Daniels
San Anselmo, CA, home of the 10" rainstorm.