Topics

update to Richard Hendrickson's truck handout

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson's clinic handout on model trucks for freight cars has been updated by him, as of December 15, with some improvements. The initial update was a very big file, but it is now reduced to 22 MB, a more reasonable download. If you don't have it yet, here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wMkpBYUw1RjhmRkE/edit

Publishers of books on railroad history

spsalso

Tony,

Thank you for posting this; and, Richard, thank you for putting the info together and sharing. It is very useful to have clear photographs of the various trucks and to have then arrayed in a logical manner.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Richard Hendrickson's clinic handout on model trucks for freight cars has been updated by him, as of December 15, with some improvements. The initial update was a very big file, but it is now reduced to 22 MB, a more reasonable download. If you don't have it yet, here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wMkpBYUw1RjhmRkE/edit

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 2, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Anthony Thompson <thompson@...> wrote:

Richard Hendrickson's clinic handout on model trucks for freight cars has been updated by him, as of December 15, with some improvements. The initial update was a very big file, but it is now reduced to 22 MB, a more reasonable download. If you don't have it yet, here is a link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz_ctrHrDz4wMkpBYUw1RjhmRkE/edit
Thanks, Tony. I just opened it and it came right up, so reducing the DPI of the photos obviously solved the problem of the bloated file. The spacing didn't work out exactly as planned, so there are now 15 pages, but that's irrelevant as it's all there and easily viewed. I'm sorry this made extra work for you, but AFAIK I don't plan another update any time soon. I'll print the little handouts with the web address tomorrow and bring enough so everyone at CB who wants one will get one.

On another subject, I got an e-mail from Southwest today about a rental car sale from Budget, so I took a look and found that their rate at Orlando was considerably less than the Dollar rental we had reserved. So I booked Budget and canceled Dollar. Some years ago I had a frustrating experience with Budget and haven't rented from them since, but I decided to get over it, as I think the car rental companies are all pretty much alike

Richard.

Robert kirkham

agreed - a very handy resource.

I noticed the Tichy Andrews and two types of arch bar trucks were not named. Wonder if that is because they don't cut it as models, or maybe they are something that could be added to the next update down the road?

Rob Kirkham

On Jan 3, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
I noticed the Tichy Andrews and two types of arch bar trucks were not named.
Wonder if that is because they don't cut it as models, or maybe they are
something that could be added to the next update down the road?
Not listing the Tichy Andrews and Arch Bar trucks was a judgment call on my part, as better detailed trucks of those types are available (e.g. Tahoe, Kadee, Intermountain). However, though it lacks brake shoe detail, the Tichy Andrews truck is otherwise quite nice. And I overlooked the fact that Tichy's arch bar truck is actually a 100 ton arch bar, which no one else makes in HO. So yes, I'll add them the next time I do a revision. Thanks.

Richard Hendrickson

Benjamin Hom

Rob Kirkham asked:
"I noticed the Tichy Andrews and two types of arch bar trucks were
not named. Wonder if that is because they don't cut it as models, or
maybe they are something that could be added to the next update down
the road?"

Richard Hendrickson replied:
"Not listing the Tichy Andrews and Arch Bar trucks was a judgment
call on my part, as better detailed trucks of those types are
available (e.g. Tahoe, Kadee, Intermountain). However, though it
lacks brake shoe detail, the Tichy Andrews truck is otherwise quite
nice."

I bought a large number of Tichy Andrews trucks a decade ago to use
for models requiring that truck; they're still nice looking trucks,
but over 10 years of use, the press-fit between the bolster and
sideframes have a tendency to come apart. I now replace them with
other Andrews trucks as required.

Ben Hom

al_brown03

Ben, are you using Tichy's equalized Andrews trucks (one pair, #3012; ten pair, #3016) or their rigid ones (one pair, #3026; ten pair, #3027)? If equalized, I agree: I can't get them to hold together. Haven't had a problem with the rigid ones.

Tichy also have equalized and rigid "Bettendorf" trucks: same deal.

I would note also that Tichy make two archbar trucks: "standard" (#3002; look like 30-40 ton) and "heavy duty" (#3022; 100 ton).

Great handout, Richard!

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" wrote:

Rob Kirkham asked:
[...]

Al Brown asked:
"Ben, are you using Tichy's equalized Andrews trucks (one pair, #3012; ten pair,

#3016) or their rigid ones (one pair, #3026; ten pair, #3027)? If equalized, I
agree: I can't get them to hold together. Haven't had a problem with the rigid
ones."

The equalized trucks.  I couldn't get the rigid trucks in bulk ten years ago,
and bought 30 pair of the equalized trucks to take care of what I needed back
then.

Ben Hom