Topics

Atlas HO USRA steel rebuilt box cars

Jim Lancaster

Atlas has announced new paint schemes for their HO USRA steel rebuilt box cars
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt3.htm

Are any of these prototypically correct?

Jim Lancaster

Brian Carlson

Jim:
As we discuss every time a new run if these is announced. They are not prototypical for anything out if the box. Search the archives for more details.

Brian Carlson
On Jan 3, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Lancaster James <ljames1@...> wrote:

Atlas has announced new paint schemes for their HO USRA steel rebuilt
box cars
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt3.htm

Are any of these prototypically correct?

Jim Lancaster

Don Burn

The only one I think is correct is the ACL scheme, but as always it depends
on the year you model.

Don Burn

Atlas has announced new paint schemes for their HO USRA steel rebuilt box
cars http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt3.htm

Are any of these prototypically correct?

Jim Lancaster

Benjamin Hom

Jim Lancaster asked:
"Atlas has announced new paint schemes for their HO USRA steel
rebuilt box cars
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt3.htm
Are any of these prototypically correct?"

Don Burn replied:
"The only one I think is correct is the ACL scheme, but as always it
depends on the year you model."

As Brian stated earlier, NONE of these models are correct out of the
box. The ACL model is the closest, but the side ladders need to be
replaced with grabs and the model needs rework of the side sill to
match the prototype. These models are hermaphrodites that match no
specific prototype, and for $35, you're better off spending the extra
money and wait on delivery of the more correct Sunshine Models kits.

Ben Hom

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Don Burn" wrote:
The only one I think is correct is the ACL scheme, but as always it depends > on the year you model.
Don Burn
The ACL scheme looks too modern for my 1950 RR. One of the cars matches an RMJ photo dated 1964. When might that scheme have first been applied.
Gene Green

Benjamin Hom

Gene Green asked:
"The ACL scheme looks too modern for my 1950 RR. One of the cars matches an RMJ
photo dated 1964. When might that scheme have first been applied?"

Not as new as you might think, Gene.  ACL Gothic lettering with Prismo sill
stripes was applied to cars as early as 1951.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Even more ridiculous is that Atlas makes a version that uses grabs instead of ladders.
But I agree with you, it's basically the Tichy USRA tank car. Except that car was actually
an incredibly well designed model, and it was cheaper, and it actually did represent
something real -- a drawing. Ferrohermaphroditic, indeed.

Tim O'Connor

"Atlas has announced new paint schemes for their HO USRA steel
rebuilt box cars
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOFreight/hosteelrebuilt3.htm
Are any of these prototypically correct?"

Don Burn replied:
"The only one I think is correct is the ACL scheme, but as always it
depends on the year you model."

As Brian stated earlier, NONE of these models are correct out of the
box. The ACL model is the closest, but the side ladders need to be
replaced with grabs and the model needs rework of the side sill to
match the prototype. These models are hermaphrodites that match no
specific prototype, and for $35, you're better off spending the extra
money and wait on delivery of the more correct Sunshine Models kits.

Ben Hom

spsalso

Page 77 of RP Cyc 24 shows a rebuilt ACL car with ladders. And that little stripey dotty strip (the correct technical description) on the bottom of the sides. It's dated 1959.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Even more ridiculous is that Atlas makes a version that uses grabs instead of
ladders."

That's one less thing to fix if you're doing the ACL/C&WC or SL-SF cars, but you
still need to fix the poorly rendered side sill.

"But I agree with you, it's basically the Tichy USRA tank car. Except that car
was actually an incredibly well designed model, and it was cheaper, and it
actually did represent something real -- a drawing. Ferrohermaphroditic,
indeed."

The Atlas "USRA rebuilds" are less the Tichy USRA tank car and far more like the
Athearn 50 ft gon - models that at first glance look like they fit many
prototypes, but in the end really match nothing.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Ed Sutorik wrote:
"Page 77 of RP Cyc 24 shows a rebuilt ACL car with ladders. And that little
stripey dotty strip (the correct technical description) on the bottom of the
sides. It's dated 1959."

Unfortunately, it's the only photo of these cars showing ladders instead of
grabs in RP Cyc 24.  And it doesn't "magic" away the crappy side sill on the
Atlas model.

Ben Hom

spsalso

Volume 24 of the RP Cyc has an article on these cars. I believe from information therein, that ONLY cars from ACL, C&WC, DT&I, EJ&E, and Frisco MIGHT be modeled by the Atlas cars.

All others need not apply.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

spsalso

But wait, there's more. This announcement is the same as one from April 3, 2012. So, if you ordered cars back then, cease and desist ordering again.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Benjamin Hom

Ed Sutorik wrote:
"Volume 24 of the RP Cyc has an article on these cars. I believe from
information

therein, that ONLY cars from ACL, C&WC, DT&I, EJ&E, and Frisco MIGHT be modeled
by the Atlas cars."

Ed, go back and review the article again.  The DT&I cars have unique Cambre
roofs that are nowhere near that offered on ANY of the Atlas cars; the EJ&E cars
have Murphy rectangular panel roofs.  NONE of these prototypes can be modeled by
any of the Atlas models out of the box.

Ben Hom

spsalso

It appears that, if one accepts the shallow side sill modeling, that the ACL and someday-to-be-produced Frisco cars ARE credible models of the prototype. Or am I missing something else.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Ed Sutorik wrote:
"It appears that, if one accepts the shallow side sill modeling, that
the ACL and someday-to-be-produced Frisco cars ARE credible models of
the prototype. Or am I missing something else."

The problem with the side sill is more than its shallow profile - both prototypes also had distinctive brackets joining the underframe to the sides that the Atlas car fails to model accurately. Also as pointed out earlier, depending on the car modeled (and the model used), the great majority of these cars had side grabs instead of ladders. The door details also leave something to be desired.

The bottom line: should you pay $35 for this model?

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., "spsalso" wrote:

It appears that, if one accepts the shallow side sill modeling, that the ACL and someday-to-be-produced Frisco cars ARE credible models of the prototype. Or am I missing something else.

Ed

Edward Sutorik
Unless they've changed the rectangular panel roof, there is something weird about the way the panels come all the way to the edge of the roof.

Dennis

Tim O'Connor

Especially considering that a Sunshine model is only slightly more
than that! My days of buying inaccurate, expensive models are over.

Tim O'