Delano photograph of LCL house in Chicago

Schuyler Larrabee

I am sure that many of you know the photograph I'm referring to. I cannot
find it on line. Can any one of you provide a pointer to the photo. I think
it is a LofC photo, but could not find it tonight.

Thanks

Schuyler

Greg Martin

Schuyler,

Here is the link, go the left and click the Delano link and you find it.

_http://www.junipergallery.com/historical_railroad_photos_
(http://www.junipergallery.com/historical_railroad_photos)

See you at the beach next week.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean
, schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net writes:

I am sure that many of you know the photograph I'm referring to. I cannot
find it on line. Can any one of you provide a pointer to the photo. I think
it is a LofC photo, but could not find it tonight.

Thanks

Schuyler

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks, Greg, I knew it would be obvious which photo I was looking for.

Yes, I'll be at Cocoa, look forward to seeing you and everyone else.

, schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net <mailto:schuyler.larrabee%40verizon.net>
writes:

I am sure that many of you know the photograph I'm referring to. I cannot
find it on line. Can any one of you provide a pointer to the photo. I think
it is a LofC photo, but could not find it tonight.

Thanks

Schuyler

Ray Breyer

Alternatively, you could go directly to the source for these images, and bypass the thieves at Shorpy completely:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

________________________________
Here is the link, go the left and click the Delano link and you find  it.

_http://www.junipergallery.com/historical_railroad_photos_
(http://www.junipergallery.com/historical_railroad_photos)

See you at the beach next week.

Greg Martin

Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through  it.
Norman Maclean
, schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net writes:

I am sure that many of you know the photograph I'm referring to. I  cannot
find it on line. Can any one of you provide a pointer to the photo.  I think
it is a LofC photo, but could not find it  tonight.

Thanks

Schuyler

Jack Burgess

<
<http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery
<
<Ray Breyer
<Elgin, IL

These photos are all in the public domain and anyone has the right to
publish them, etc. If you go to this Time magazine site:

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/01/02/the-past-comes-alive-history-in-high-def
inition/#1
<http://lightbox.time.com/2013/01/02/the-past-comes-alive-history-in-high-de
finition/%231>

...and scroll down to the article under the lead photo, you'll learn (as I
did a day or two ago) that the person behind Shorpy does more than just post
the photos...the scans in the Library of Congress have not been color
corrected or had the levels adjusted. Compare the original scans of Delano's
images in the Library of Congress and those on Shorpy's site and you can see
the difference.

Jack Burgess

MICHAELCALO3403 <michaelcalo3403@...>

Thanks for the link, Ray - a lot of good pitures there, particularly the PRR ore docks with the Hewlett ("Hulett") ore unloader.

One picture, though, shows how really old this collection is: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/item/fsa1992001554/PP/resource/  .  There is NO WAY you could do this today.

Wow.

Alternatively, you could go directly to the source for these images, and bypass the thieves at Shorpy completely:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Oh, you must mean shoot sheet film (4x5) using Kodachrome???

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

________________________________
Thanks for the link, Ray - a lot of good pitures there, particularly the PRR ore docks with the Hewlett ("Hulett") ore unloader.

One picture, though, shows how really old this collection is: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/item/fsa1992001554/PP/resource/  .  There is NO WAY you could do this today.

Wow.

Alternatively, you could go directly to the source for these images, and bypass the thieves at Shorpy completely:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

MICHAELCALO3403 <michaelcalo3403@...>

Um....yeah...that's it.....

Thanks for the link, Ray - a lot of good pitures there, particularly the PRR ore docks with the Hewlett ("Hulett") ore unloader.

One picture, though, shows how really old this collection is: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/item/fsa1992001554/PP/resource/  .  There is NO WAY you could do this today.

Wow.

Alternatively, you could go directly to the source for these images, and bypass the thieves at Shorpy completely:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

I thought so...

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

________________________________

Thanks for the link, Ray - a lot of good pitures there, particularly the PRR ore docks with the Hewlett ("Hulett") ore unloader.

One picture, though, shows how really old this collection is: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/item/fsa1992001554/PP/resource/  .  There is NO WAY you could do this today.

Wow.

Alternatively, you could go directly to the source for these images, and bypass the thieves at Shorpy completely:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=railroad&co=fsac&st=gallery

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

devansprr

And the trees...

I just dropped someone off at the front entrance to Union Station 3 weeks ago.

Outside of the type of film used, much of the photo could be duplicated today, except that the trees in the park between Union Station and the Capitol are much bigger and would block most of the view of the station from the location of the photo(the photo was taken 1500 feet from the entrance of Union Station and 950 feet from the north end of the Capitol. The plaza wall she is sitting on is still there today - she is sitting just west of the fountain at that location (fountain would be behind the woman). Outside of the trees, I think most of this area in the field-of-view is pretty much unchanged and safe. The same lamp post might even still be there. The Union Station smoke stack is gone - a parking garage now covers the western station tracks behind the station.

If you haven't visited downtown DC in some time, do not think it has been commercialized or over-developed. The "mall" area from Union station to the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials two miles away remains one of the most beautiful city centers in the world (outside of the City's inability to maintain good pavement). Don't miss it.

Sorry for the lack of STMFC content - the nearest STMFC to this location might be in Baltimore - someone just spotted an old PRR X29 (flat ends) being used as a storage building:

From PRR Yahoo Group:

http://p5b4702.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3323673#

Classic X29 rust patterns and old wooden running boards.

If you go to DC, also stop at the B&O museum in Baltimore - lots of STMFC era, and older, content, including IIRC, several M26's.

Dave Evans

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Daniels wrote:

I thought so...

Bill Daniels