Fowler and fowler clone boxcar roofs

Benjamin Scanlon

The article on converting a San Juan kit of a D&RGW Fowler clone to the Rock Island version notes that a new roof with 18 mullions is needed for the RI car, rather than the 15 on the D&RGW car.

http://www.oscalemag.com/wordpress/building-the-rock-island%E2%80%99s-fowler-clone-boxcar/

I am wondering what sort of roof the 'true Fowler' C&NW cars had? Or for that matter the M&StL 'clones'.

I am also interested to know when these cars left service.

Regards

Ben

Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Scanlon" wrote:

I am wondering what sort of roof the 'true Fowler' C&NW cars had? Or for that matter the M&StL 'clones'.

I am also interested to know when these cars left service.

Regards

Ben
The M&StL clones (18000 series) had 15 roof 'ribs' and according to Gene Green's records were retired in 1949.
The CNW Fowlers bought used by the M&StL in 1942 (51500 series) also had 15. These cars were retired in 1951.
Clark Propst

Benjamin Scanlon

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cepropst@... wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Benjamin Scanlon" wrote:

I am wondering what sort of roof the 'true Fowler' C&NW cars had? Or for that matter the M&StL 'clones'.

I am also interested to know when these cars left service.

Regards

Ben
The M&StL clones (18000 series) had 15 roof 'ribs' and according to Gene Green's records were retired in 1949.
The CNW Fowlers bought used by the M&StL in 1942 (51500 series) also had 15. These cars were retired in 1951.
Clark Propst
thank you clark. they seem pretty well out of my era, sadly. the one i own will probably have to sit on a siding OOS.

regards, ben

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

Benjamin Scanlon wrote:

thank you clark. they seem pretty well out of my era, sadly. the one i
own will probably have to sit on a siding OOS.
They did run with the D&RGW well into the 1950s, though, and there are
other cars you can model using the Gold Coast model as a basis, so it may
not be a complete 'loss'.

Frank Valoczy
New Westminster, BC

brianleppert@att.net

CNW Fowlers had roofs with "ribs"? My Westerfield kit has a wood-planked roof. So CNW rebuilt the roofs on all or some? And when?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cepropst@... wrote:

The M&StL clones (18000 series) had 15 roof 'ribs' and according to Gene Green's records were retired in 1949.
The CNW Fowlers bought used by the M&StL in 1942 (51500 series) also had 15. These cars were retired in 1951.
Clark Propst

Clark Propst

I just counted the battens between the roof panels in the photos I have and called them ribs for lack of the correct term. The photos I have are of the car sides, no roof shots.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "brian" wrote:

CNW Fowlers had roofs with "ribs"? My Westerfield kit has a wood-planked roof. So CNW rebuilt the roofs on all or some? And when?

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cepropst@ wrote:

The M&StL clones (18000 series) had 15 roof 'ribs' and according to Gene Green's records were retired in 1949.
The CNW Fowlers bought used by the M&StL in 1942 (51500 series) also had 15. These cars were retired in 1951.
Clark Propst

brianleppert@att.net

Clark, I understand, but Westerfield's roof, as well as the photos I've seen (such as Jack Delano's yard shot that was on the cover of Mainline Modeler), has just wood boards showing, not a steel-sheathed roof with battens.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cepropst@... wrote:

I just counted the battens between the roof panels in the photos I have and called them ribs for lack of the correct term. The photos I have are of the car sides, no roof shots.
Clark Propst

Mainline Modeler had plans for the car (citation needed). I used those plus numerous photos including the Delano ones to make the kit. – Al Westerfield

--- In mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com, cepropst@... wrote:

The M&StL clones (18000 series) had 15 roof 'ribs' and according to Gene Green's records were retired in 1949.
The CNW Fowlers bought used by the M&StL in 1942 (51500 series) also had 15. These cars were retired in 1951.
Clark Propst

Benjamin Hom

Al Westerfield wrote:
"Mainline Modeler had plans for the car (citation needed)."

My Mainline Modelers are in storage, so I can't immdeiately confirm the specific article for the car in question because of Hundman's habit of giving articles vague titles, but it's among these three Jeff Koeller articles (drawing in the third article):

"C&NW single-sheathed box cars - U. S. standard design", Mainline Modeler, August 2003.

"C&NW 1920s single-sheathed box car Part 1, 1921 ARA box cars with wood doors", Mainline Modeler, September 2003.

"C&NW 1920s single-sheathed box car Part 2, 1921 ARA cars with steel doors" (with Hundman drawing), Mainline Modeler, October 2003.

Citations are from the online Model Train Magazine Index hosted on the Model Railroader website.

Ben Hom

brianleppert@att.net

The August, 1992 issue of Mainline Modeler had Jeff Koeller's article on these cars titled "Fowler Box Car". It includes two Delano photos from 1942 and 1943, showing that at that time both styles of roof were in use.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Al and Patricia Westerfield" wrote:

Mainline Modeler had plans for the car (citation needed). I used those plus numerous photos including the Delano ones to make the kit. â€" Al Westerfield