SE version of the 40' war emergency composite boxcar

Benjamin Scanlon

i've looked at the sunshine models pdfs for war emergency boxcars and the SE war emergency version which is 10' high, 6" lower than standard.

i can find an outline diagram of the 10'6" car ... sounds like a good place to start in building one.

I am wondering where the 6" height was pruned from ... was at the top of the walls, by just using shorter trusses and a thinner plank, or is there a more fundamental difference i'm missing?

regards

ben

Benjamin Hom

Ben Scanlon wrote:
"i've looked at the sunshine models pdfs for war emergency boxcars and
the SE [Southeastern] war emergency version which is 10' high, 6"
lower than standard."

Be careful with designating car heights as "standard" - significant
numbers of 10 ft IH boxcars were being built at the same time as 10
ft 6 in IH boxcars.

"i can find an outline diagram of the 10'6" car ... sounds like a
good place to start in building one."

See the August and September 1994 issues of Mainline Modeler for
drawings and articles by Richard Hendrickson.

"I am wondering where the 6" height was pruned from ... was at the top of the walls, by just using shorter trusses and a thinner plank, or is there a more fundamental difference i'm missing?"

Shorter trusses. This is what makes lowering height for SS boxcar
kitbashes difficult - in most cases, you can't simply cut down a
carbody becuase you cut off the top of the truss.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Scanlon

See the August and September 1994 issues of Mainline Modeler for
drawings and articles by Richard Hendrickson.
Thank you. I will look out for it, but I should point out that I live in the UK and accessing these back issues is not easy. Hence why I like online diagrams. The Sept issue *is* available but $US12.50 (less p&h) for a plan is a bit steep for me at this point in time.

So I hope folk don't mind if I focus on what I can dig up online or via scans or a plan from some other source.

"I am wondering where the 6" height was pruned from ... was at the top of the walls, by just using shorter trusses and a thinner plank, or is there a more fundamental difference i'm missing?"

Shorter trusses. This is what makes lowering height for SS boxcar
kitbashes difficult - in most cases, you can't simply cut down a
carbody becasue you cut off the top of the truss.

I once knew a guy who did very delicate surgery cutting a car about three times horizontally through the side and end to remove 1' of height. (I think he felt a single cut would have been too obvious in that the diagonal trusses wouldn't have aligned correctly.)

Fortunately for his sanity he made a master out of the shortened side and end.

Best regards

Ben

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
"See the August and September 1994 issues of Mainline Modeler for
drawings and articles by Richard Hendrickson."

Ben Scanlon replied:
"Thank you. I will look out for it, but I should point out that I
live in the UK and accessing these back issues is not easy. Hence
why I like online diagrams. The Sept issue *is* available but
$US12.50 (less p&h) for a plan is a bit steep for me at this point in
time."

Who's your vendor? Railpub has both issues at $US5 each.
http://www.railpub.com/Catalogs/us_rr_model_magazines.pdf
https://www.railpub.com/Ordering/faq.html
http://www.railpub.com

Ben Hom

Benjamin Scanlon

Who's your vendor? Railpub has both issues at $US5 each.
http://www.railpub.com/Catalogs/us_rr_model_magazines.pdf
https://www.railpub.com/Ordering/faq.html
http://www.railpub.com

Ben Hom

hmm, they did not come up in my search. i've contacted them and inquired. they charge $5 domestic p&h ... often, the sting in the tail is when when you ask for international mail rates. let us see.

rhammill

There is also the 50 page article by Pat Wider on the War Emergency box cars in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Volume 19.

Randy Hammill
True Line Trains
http://truelinetrains.com
--
http://newbritainstation.com
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954