What freight car drawings are available and where are they?

George Eichelberger

Seeing the Larry to Larry exchange reminds me again of a project the members of the freight car group may want to undertake.

Assuming a comprehensive list has never been prepared (?), what railroad or car builders freight car drawings are known to be available from whatever source?
I am not talking about a comprehensive index of every drawing, although that would be a superb resource, but simply a general list of what RR's drawings may be available.
For example, the Southern Railway Historical Association has the linens of virtually every SR freight car drawing produced since about 1904 and the CofG freight car drawings for most cars in service when it became part of the Southern. A large proportion of the larger drawings in the SRHA archives at Kennesaw have been scanned so making and shipping blue prints or Xerox copies is not required.

I am aware of some drawings at the ACL/SAL group, the PRR, NYC and C&O groups, and others, but only to the point of knowing they have something but do not have enough information to ask (pay for) anyone for copies for modeling projects.

Is this something for the STMFC group to consider?

Ike

PS Some of the early to mid 1900s freight car drawings are literally works of art. If anyone is not familiar with the draftsmen's work of the era, I will be happy to see about posting a few on the SRHA web site if people are interested.

Tim O'Connor

Ike -- Collectively, the STMFC list embodies the knowledge that you seek. IMO that is why we started
these mailing lists 16-17 or so years ago. The compilation that you suggest would be a major undertaking.
Many man years of effort.

My dad had a joke plaque hung in the basement next to his work table:

"Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas."

Tim O'Connor

[...]

albyrno

These are on-line,I beleive 1919 is the newest I have been able to find,they have great builders drawings.
 Alan
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL20493956M/Car_Builders'_Cyclopedia_of_American_Practice

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183513 for 1895

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183190 for 1909

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183208 for 1913

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183216 for 1916

http://ebook.lib.hku.hk/CADAL/B3139551X/>1919

SUVCWORR@...

George,

The drawings and ordering instructions on the holdings of the PRRT&HS can be found at

http://www.prrths.com/Lewistown%20Archives/PRR_Microfilm.html

These will be prints from microfilm created from the originals.

Rich Orr

[...]

ROGER HINMAN

I sort of like George's idea but I envision a much simpler starting point. How about agreeing on who were the thirty (??) major railroads in the STFMC as well as the ten(??) major car builder's and then create a table with short entries by each that indicates drawings exist at source A, B, or no collections are known of.

Off the top of my head,it would be something like this:

Carbuilder's:
ACF; post 1930 MOT St Louis
Pullman Standard IRM Library
Standard Steel IRM Library, PA State Archives
Pressed Steel None
Barney & Smith None
General America None
Budd TBA
etc

Railroads
PRR already listed
NYC; NYCHS
C&O Historical society website
N&W ditto
Southern SRHA
C&NW Lake Shore Historical
NP, GN Minnesota Historical Soc
etc

Roger Hinman
ps
for extra credit the Private Car Companies get added

On Jan 21, 2013, at 2:28 PM, timboconnor@comcast.net wrote:

[...]

David

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, SUVCWORR@... wrote:
The drawings and ordering instructions on the holdings of the PRRT&HS can be found at

http://www.prrths.com/Lewistown%20Archives/PRR_Microfilm.html
Is this a comprehensive list of their holdings? The car I'm looking for wasn't included in the index.

David Thompson

Larry Kline

The general arrangement and lettering drawings listed on the PRRT&HS web site are a very small fraction of the drawings that are on the microfilm. The PRR microfilmed nearly all of their drawings ca. 1951. Some drawings were out of the files when the microfilming was done. Some of these were microfilmed later and some are missing.

To get information about other drawings, see the Drawing Ordering Information pdf at the link posted by Rich Orr. There are lists of tracings available for most freight cars. Drawings for cars built after the microfilming was done are not on the microfilm. We are currently processing the drawings in the collection. We will know what is available when the processing of the drawings is completed. There are some drawings in the collection for cars built after the microfilming was done.

Larry Kline
PRRT&HS Archives volunteer

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "David" wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, SUVCWORR@ wrote:
The drawings and ordering instructions on the holdings of the PRRT&HS can be found at

http://www.prrths.com/Lewistown%20Archives/PRR_Microfilm.html
Is this a comprehensive list of their holdings? The car I'm looking for wasn't included in the index.

David Thompson

SUVCWORR@...

That is everything in the collection which is available. The collection is still being catalogued. There are a number of 1 car classes which are not in the collection. As I understand it, most of the collection came from the PRR station in Pittsburgh when it was being renovated and converted to apartments.

What class are you seeking?

Rich Orr

The drawings and ordering instructions on the holdings of the PRRT&HS can be
found at

http://www.prrths.com/Lewistown%20Archives/PRR_Microfilm.html
Is this a comprehensive list of their holdings? The car I'm looking for wasn't
included in the index.

David Thompson

David

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, SUVCWORR@... wrote:
What class are you seeking?
Class Ara, the sample box that PRR built in 1917.

David Thompson