From: charles slater <atsfcondr42@...>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2013 12:28 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Sunshine Models

I am putting this notice on the list as Tricia Lofton asked me to do because
many of their loyal customers are on this list, and she thinks you should
all be notified. As most of you have been friends of theirs for many years
and have supported Sunshine Models over the years Tricia just would like to
say THANK YOU.
Hopefully Mike will forgive me for posting this.
Charlie Slater
Martin Lofton of Sunshine models passed away on January 4, 2013 after
several months of illness. We are continuing to fill orders with available
inventory. Some customers will receive only a partial order and a refund. If
no inventory of any of the order exists, the checks will be returned.
All Available kits in the first increment of kits to be eliminated will be
shipped in the next four weeks. Some customers will only recieve a partial
order and a refund for the rest. There was a large response to the
announcement of this close out and several casting runs were necessary. Many
customers have been waiting for months, Sunshine regrets the delay. We still
have a few of these four kits for sale; Kits 17.5, 17.6, 18.2 and 18.5 and
please order them by mail as usual and not over the phone.
A second increment of more closeout kits to be eliminated will be announced
in the coming months. They will be in the 20 series such as the MTD reefer,
the meat reefers and CB&Q XA-7, XA-8, XA-11 and XA-11A raised roof and
possibly others.
If you want to contact Sunshine, please write instead of calling. It isn't
possible to both take care of company business and spend time on the phone.
Your patience would be appreciated.
Thank you to all our friends
Tricia Lofton

Tricia lofton told me that she does not want to close down the business and
would like to continue offering their kits. At this time she is looking for
someone to do the casting for Sunshine and she will package and sell them.
Charlie

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charlie Slater wrote:
Martin Lofton of Sunshine models passed away on January 4, 2013 after several months of illness. We are continuing to fill orders with available inventory . . . Tricia lofton told me that she does not want to close down the business and would like to continue offering their kits. At this time she is looking for someone to do the casting for Sunshine and she will package and sell them.
Rest in peace, Martin: a great benefactor to those of us who are freight car enthusiasts and builders. I'm delighted that Tricia would like to continue the business and I hope it will work out.

Publishers of books on railroad history

asychis@...

Saddest news of 2013. I met Martin many times and loved talking to him
about Missouri Pacific models. He was a true gentleman and will be greatly
missed. Prayers and condolences. Jerry Michels

Charlie Duckworth

I can only echo Jerry's comments, I met Martin when he first started his business. He loved discussing how to model the Mopac. He was a huge asset to our side of the hobby in his articles for RMC on freight cars.

Charlie Duckworth

--- In STMFC@..., asychis@... wrote:

Saddest news of 2013. I met Martin many times and loved talking to him
about Missouri Pacific models. He was a true gentleman and will be greatly
missed. Prayers and condolences. Jerry Michels

Larry Kline

This is very sad news. I first met Martin and Tricia when they briefly lived in Pittsburgh many years ago. I greatly appreciate all of Martin's freight car research and made considerable use of his prototype data sheets when I was co-authoring "The Postwar Freight Car Fleet."

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

--- In STMFC@..., charles slater wrote:

Martin Lofton of Sunshine models passed away on January 4, 2013 after several months of illness.
Charlie

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

At 10:28 AM 2/1/2013, charles slater wrote: <snip>
Martin Lofton of Sunshine models passed away...
"Sic transit gloria mundi..."

Condolences to Tricia... a sad time for all of us.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

charles slater

Thank you Michael I will pass this on to Tricia. She is doing very well under the circumstances.
Charlie

To: STMFC@...
From: michaelEGross@...
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:42:08 -0800
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine Models

How very sad, indeed, to lose Martin Lofton. He was a great historian, a great modeler, and was always happy to share what he knew with the less-informed, such as myself. My condolences to his wife and family as well as to Charlie Slater, who has lost both a colleague and a friend.

Michael Gross
La Caada, CA 91011-3542

np328

My condolences to go out to Tricia, who always had a smile to greet you with. My prayers also go out to her.

When one looks over older and many since discontinued magazines of our hobby, Martin's name would show up as an author with surprising regularity. He helped move the hobby forward and will be missed.
James Dick - St.Paul

michaelegross <michaelEGross@...>

How very sad, indeed, to lose Martin Lofton. He was a great historian, a great modeler, and was always happy to share what he knew with the less-informed, such as myself. My condolences to his wife and family as well as to Charlie Slater, who has lost both a colleague and a friend.

Michael Gross
La Cañada, CA 91011-3542

I worked closely with Martin, first making castings and later supplying his grab irons, for almost 30 years. He was a real gentleman and a friend. Since we often attended the same meets, during slow times you’d find us at each other’s booths. We were sometimes competitors but never enemies. He was a man of real integrity, a man of his word. His is a great loss to the hobby and to all us. – Al Westerfield

From: charles slater <atsfcondr42@...>
To: "STMFC List" <stmfc@...>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2013, 12:28 PM

Rich Christie wrote:
My condolences go out to Tricia and the Lofton Family. I met Martin at Naperville five years ago. I also bought his first four kits when he was located in Salinas, California (I still have those kits!) He was a true gentleman and a giant in our hobby. He will be sorely missed, not only for his fine products but for taking the time and writing "how to" articles in our magazines.
I am also grateful to see that Tricia is continuing the business. Let us all support her and keep the Sunshine tradition going.
Like you, Rich, I also bought Martin's first kits (the first two), and both are built and on my layout! As are a bunch of others -- but they still have a whole array of siblings sitting in their boxes on the shelf.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dennis Williams

Tony.
  At this date, I have about 400 Sunshine kits here. 1/2 built.   I have and always will enjoy building their kits. I always enjoyed talking to the Lofton family, I will miss him.  He and Tricia, let's not forget the rest of the Sunshine family, gave a lot for this hobby.
  I also give my condolences to Tricia and her family.

Dennis Williams/Owner
http://www.resinbuilders4u.com/

________________________________

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 http://www.signaturepress.com/
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Very true Tony. I need to reorganize my basement. Shelf space is becoming a premium! The 2 MoPac gons are still running at my meets. The box cars are partially built.

Rich Christie

My condolences go out to Tricia and the Lofton Family. I met Martin at Naperville five years ago. I also bought his first four kits when he was located in Salinas, California (I still have those kits!) He was a true gentleman and a giant in our hobby. He will be sorely missed, not only for his fine products but for taking the time and writing "how to" articles in our magazines.
I am also grateful to see that Tricia is continuing the business. Let us all support her and keep the Sunshine tradition going.
Like you, Rich, I also bought Martin's first kits (the first two), and both are built and on my layout! As are a bunch of others -- but they still have a whole array of siblings sitting in their boxes on the shelf.

Publishers of books on railroad history

mrb2000

This is very sad news. My condolences to Tricia and the family. While I haven't built many of Martin's excellent models since switching to N scale, I've found his data sheets to be an immersely important source for my modeling. We've truly lost a great resource and, most importantly, a good man.

Mike Baulch

Kenneth Montero

Martin was ever the gentle gentleman - also kind and courteous. He also happened to be a wonderful contributor to model railroading. We should remember, and emulate, these qualities which Martin continuously showed in all of his dealings with us.

We certainly will miss both types of his contributions to model railroading.

Ken Montero

[...]

Andy Harman

I first attended Naperville in 1995, and I felt a bit out of place and out of era. But Martin didn't seem to mind that the meet grew to include much, much more than his product line and it quickly became the model of how to do a prototype modeling meet. The amount of just plain grunt work required to pull off a meet of that stature year after year is not something those of us who haven't done it can really grasp.

Andy

Dave Sarther

"Martin was ever the gentle gentleman - also kind and courteous. He also happened to be a wonderful contributor to model railroading. We should remember, and emulate, these qualities which Martin continuously showed in all of his dealings with us.
We certainly will miss both types of his contributions to model railroading.
Ken Montero "

Well said Ken. My wife has always reminded me, "It is not what you say or do that others ultimately remember, but how you made them feel. " In every encounter I had with Martin he made me feel that I had 100% of his attention. He was a great listener and model for all of us. Martin concistently made everyone he came into contact with feel better for the experience.

I would like to join everyone in extending my condolences to Tricia, Martin's children and grandchildren and his Sunshine Family who helped make all the models available for all of us for so many years. The Naperville Seminars are but a small part of Martin's legacy.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

.

Mikebrock

I join the many who have voiced their condolences to Tricia and I think I can speak for the entire STMFC in saying that our hobby has lost one of its key people. While I didn't know him as well as some on the group, it is clear that Martin's passing will be felt by us all. I hope the Sunshine legacy can continue and the STMFC will be available to promote any efforts to support that effort.

Mike Brock