Delano - AT&SF - 1943

Marty McGuirk

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif., according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk

Gene <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Marty" wrote:

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif., according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk
Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.

Gene Green

Bruce Smith

Gene,

I noted that right away too. Looks like maybe locomotive sand?

Love the steam shovel and the scraper. Further down that string is a bulldozer with an A-frame - perhaps all destined for a construction project together?

Lot of tank cars, but scattered, not all in strings. The insulated 3 dome car in the front string... wine car?

The gons appear to have temporary sides made up of a variety of things and containing?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

On Feb 4, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Gene wrote:

--- In STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>, "Marty" wrote:

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif., according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk

Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.

Gene Green

Clark Propst

Gene, the CGW had a similar trestle (shorter) in Rochester Minn just east of the roundhouse for unloading engine coal. They probably had an elevator to load the tenders? Most photos show a snow plow spotted on the trestle.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., cepropst@... wrote:

Gene, the CGW had a similar trestle (shorter) in Rochester Minn just east of the roundhouse for unloading engine coal. They probably had an elevator to load the tenders? Most photos show a snow plow spotted on the trestle.
Clark Propst
And I suppose the snow plow considered itself above it all.
Gene Green

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Good morning Gene and Group,

Just for the record… I have seen a similar operation… in fact, I have been one of the shovelers.

In this case the sand was shoveled to the open drop bottom hatch -- most were blocked in the closed position -- where it fed into a hopper that dropped the sand onto a belt conveyor that lifted it over a concrete wall into a storage area at a building supply outfit. This in northeast Oklahoma on a hot summer day. A tough -- but honest -- way for a couple of high school kids to earn some "date" money.

Thanks for the memory.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 4, 2013, at 6:41 AM, "Gene" <bierglaeser@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "Marty" wrote:

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif., according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk
Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.

Gene Green

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Sure looks like they are unloading sand. If so, it will be taken to a dryer before it can be loaded into the dome.

Before seeing this I was under the (apparently mistaken) thought that all of the Santa Fe's older wooden boxcars were gone before the start of WW II. But at first I see at least two older wooden boxcars... maybe more.

Hmmmm...

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

________________________________

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gene Green wrote:
Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.
Yes, there are trestles that are ground-level track over a DEPRESSED area for dumping. Is that an ELEVATED trestle? BTW, there are lots of photos of men shoveling out gondolas, but this is the only one I can recall where it is a GS gondola.

Publishers of books on railroad history

BRIAN PAUL EHNI <behni@...>

One of them appears to be this:
https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/index.p
hp?cPath=67

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.comSTMFC>
@yahoogroups.com>, "Marty" wrote:

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif.,
according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk

Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand
out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any
other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or
refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.

Gene Green

Richard Hendrickson

Guys, the photo at Needles was taken from the sand house (where sand was dried before being used in locomotives), the GS gondola was one of the Santa Fe's many Caswell drop bottom gons, and the workmen are doing the final clearing of sand after the drop bottom doors were opened. GS gondolas were mostly, but not entirely, self-clearing, especially with a fine granular load like sand, owing to the flat surfaces above the center sill and cross members. Locomotive sand for the Los Angeles and Arizona Divisions was shipped in Caswell gons from a beach sand plant at El Segundo. And, yes, the Santa Fe still had a sizable number of 36' wood sheathed box cars in revenue service during World War II, though they rapidly disappeared after the war ended. Most were upgraded (I.e. arch bar trucks replaced with Andrews) and reclassified in the early 1930s. I have a photo of one as far off-line as Pensacola, FL during the war.

Richard Hendrickson

roblmclear <rob.mclear3@...>

If I see correctly one of the gons numbers in the foreground with the shovellers is numbeed 172722 if that is correct then it is a Caswell Ga-7 in series 172000 172499 which were commonly used for loco sand, now I don't know about needles but in San Bernardino the sandhouse there had a large eleveated trestle which ended above the sand bin so that gondola's could be spotted above the bin and unloaded. Maybe the same thing is going on here...

Rob McLear
Kingaroy Australia.

On Feb 4, 2013, at 6:55 PM, roblmclear <rob.mclear3@...> wrote:

If I see correctly one of the gons numbers in the foreground with the shovellers is numbeed 172722 if that is correct then it is a Caswell Ga-7 in series 172000 172499 which were commonly used for loco sand, now I don't know about needles but in San Bernardino the sandhouse there had a large eleveated trestle which ended above the sand bin so that gondola's could be spotted above the bin and unloaded. Maybe the same thing is going on here…
Exactly right, Rob. Both San Bernardino and Needles had standard Santa Fe sand houses with elevated unloading trestles.

Richard Hendrickson